Panama Canal questions

AllenO

My wife will be retiring from teaching in May 2012 and we want to celebrate with a cruise cruise through the Panama Canal. Celebrity isn't taking reservations for fall 2012 cruises yet, but I've got a few questions for the veteran cruisers out there.

1. When do you think they will start taking reservations for fall 2012?

2. Does east or west bound make a difference? I've heard some chatter about new stops in Guatemala and it would be great to see Tikal or Atitlan.

3. Do you think I will get a decent discount by booking as early as possible?

4. We like the CC cabins so we'll probably go that route. Any other suggestions or specific ship or other excursions?

Thanks in advance.

Allen O.

We have been twice eastbound and once westbound. The entry from the west is much more memorable, you go through 2 back to back locks then across a small lake and up the third one. Coming in from the east the Gatun locks are 3 in a row.

I prefer west to east.

If you like CC and you can get a C1 cabin, any one of them would be great. We had one of the 4 by the royal suites and it was very interesting as you were very close to the "Mules". At times we could also see the deck hands on the ship next to us handling the cables. Of course the aft cabins are just great for any sailing in warm weather.

Booking early doesn't really mean you will get any sort of discount. C1 cabins if that's what your looking for generally sell out quickly since there are only a very limited number. We tend to book early to get the desired cabin.

My wife will be retiring from teaching in May 2012 and we want to celebrate with a cruise cruise through the Panama Canal. Celebrity isn't taking reservations for fall 2012 cruises yet, but I've got a few questions for the veteran cruisers out there.

2. Does east or west bound make a difference? I've heard some chatter about new stops in Guatemala and it would be great to see Tikal or Atitlan.

4. We like the CC cabins so we'll probably go that route. Any other suggestions or specific ship or other excursions?

Thanks in advance.

Allen O.

Congratulations on your upcoming retirement!

Fall is rainy season in Panama. When it rains in Panama, it RAINS. You might consider waiting until January. Or Google rainy season in Panama, can't remember when it ends. I know January, when we went, isn't rainy season.

In the meantime, if you're itching to cruise after you retire, watch the bargain board.

If you want a C1 cabin, you'll need to book as soon as the cruise opens for booking. They go right away.

Read Path Between the Seas by David McCullough. Will help you appreciate what they went through to build the canal and marvel that it all still works! People really took pride in their work in those days.

We went west to east. One disadvantage is you lose an hour periodically as the cruise progresses through different time zones. Haven't done east to west, so can't comment on that, except to say that you would have a few 25-hour days.

Transiting the canal is very interesting and I highly recommend it.

There's a cruise that goes out of Seattle at the end of Sept. We thoroughly enjoyed that on the Infinity. We went one other time on the Summit and that was nice but for some reason we enjoyed the Seattle embarkation more. Of course getting great rates for the Westin on Hotwire for a pre cruise stay helped loads! We rank the Seattle to FLL as our most fun cruise, great cruise critic people. We had no rain! It was hot, hot, hot!

I booked my PC cruise on the first day they took reservations: April 14. You might start looking for the Winter 2012/13 cruises in the March-April time frame.

I suggest going to the Panama Canal forum and searching that topic. It is a frequently asked question. (Hint: The general answer is it doesn't make much difference - go whichever direction works for you.) My April 18 WB Millie cruise will be Celebrity's fist Guatemala stop in recent memory. I'm sure I'll write a trip report.

The prices on our cruise are unchanged except for the CC1 (aft balcony cabins). The CC1s have gone up in price by a couple hundred per-person. They are still available for booking. I also made my air reservations on the first day possible (330 days in advance.) Airfares have gone up since then. I got first class for $444. It's now over $980. Coach is now about $400. I essentially got First for the price of Coach.

If you go CC, you'll get three Captain's Club credits (cruise, cruise over 12 days, and CC or above). I'm really looking forward to the CC1 aft balcony cabin. I'll have reviews on the excursions after the cruise. If you don't go CC, my next choice would be one of the Sweet 16 cabins.

We have been twice eastbound and once westbound. The entry from the west is much more memorable, you go through 2 back to back locks then across a small lake and up the third one. Coming in from the east the Gatun locks are 3 in a row.

I prefer west to east.

Just being really pedantic (sorry:D). The first way you describe is Pacific to Atlantic which you assume is West to East, but the canal runs SE to NW, so you are actually travelling East to West! (Always a goodquiz question!)

Only done it once (so far) and going again Mar 2012. The 'season' for transits starts around November after the rainy season, so the countryside looks nice and green. I think I prefer Pacific to Atlantic too. Get up early to get a photo passing under the Bridge of the Americas with all the trucks sounding their horns at you!

Simon

To help you figure out what direction to take, here is what we saw when transiting from the Pacific to the Atlantic (now which direction is that? ).

You will enter the canal in the early AM passing Panama City to your right, which has a beautiful skyline.

Panama%20City.JPG

Shortly after entering the canal you will pass under the Bridge of the Americas, which until 2004 was the only permanent link between north and south America.

Bridge%20of%20the%20Americas.JPG

Next will be the Miraflores locks, the first two locks.

Mira%20Flores%20Locks.JPG

Then Miraflores Lake, and about a mile after, the third lock, Pedro Miguel Lock. (photo taken from the helipad)

Pedro%20Miguel%20Lock.JPG

You then enter the narrowest part of the canal transit, so narrow that only one way traffic is allowed. There you will pass under the Centennial Bridge, the only other permanent link to both Americas.

Centennial%20Bridge.JPG

Next is Gatun cut, the deepest cut that was carved into a mountain range to create the canal.

Panama%20channel%20wall.JPG

CONTINUED:

After that, you will traverse Gatun Lake, with two way traffic, offering views of large ships passing closely in the opposite direction.

Ship%20passing.JPG

Last is the Gatun locks, the last three locks, one after the other.

Canal.JPG

Every inch is scenic, interesting, and well worth seeing, no matter what direction you are going. The last photo was taken from stateroom 8056, a CC cabin. We were lucky to be on the 'business' side of the last locks and saw up close how it all works. Enjoy!

Archived