hotel in Miami

Kaydub

Beetlebomb, I am not sure you can cut through the park to Bayside mall. I haven't been in that park in years but I do know there is an ampitheater in the center. Bayside mall is on the other side of the park and it is a bit of walk - and with this heat it will feel much longer!!!!

Now, Miami as being dangerous, its a big city now ( and growing like crazy with horrendous traffic to match) and like any big city you have to be careful. We are not a high crime city as we used to be a decade ago. Miami/Miami Beach is a tourist town and, of course, with high tourist areas there might be some criminal element around - its the nature of the game. For the record, Europe is much much worse, with pick pocketers all over and snatch n' run incidents happening frequently. Unfortunately, the poster before had "drug dealers" in the room next to them which was weird (OMG how did they know they were dealing???). Hey I traveled and I have seen all kinds of suspicious things in all areas - no matter if your hotel is 5 star. Now, for Ft. Lauderdale being "safer", hey I got my Blackberry phone stolen in a Barnes & Noble there for God's sake!!!! So see, in this day and age, safety is an illusion!

I hope this helps you! By the way, if you see the American Airlines arena, there is a place behind it called "Bongo's Cuban Cafe." Now thats a tourist trap! Its like a Hard Rock Cafe restaurant with mediorce Cuban food I am Cuban and know the "real stuff") and expensive prices - its a rip off! :D If I remember and I hope its still there, there is a Cuban restaurant in Bayside Mall called "Latin American Bayside Cafe" which makes pretty good Cuban food and its cheap. If you like coffee, ask for a "Cuban coffee" there aka an expresso, now that coffee is the "bomb" and highly addictive! If you have any further questions, please ask!

Fun things to do - this is when I play tourist in my backyard(LOL!) - take the "Duck Tours" on this amphibious vehicle that tours Miami Beach on land then goes into the water!!!! I think its $40 for adults now. :cool:

Thank you for this information. This may sound like a silly question, but am I likely to get soaking wet on the Duck Tour? I ask because I will have nowhere to dry my clothes and don't want to pack wet items.

Also how do I book this tour?

Is the weather likely to be hot and sunny mid December?

FYI - UK guests. My forthcoming 2 night stay at the Intercontinental cost me £126 (with no foreign transaction charges) using the lastminutetravel website recommended. What a bargain!!! :)

puggo63 -

We are flying into Miami next April - the week before Easter. From your experience, is this considered "prime season" due to the holiday and/or Spring Break?

We are having trouble finding decent hotel rates and flights. We are travelling with our 2 small children so cleanliness and safety are our main concerns.

Thanks for your help!

Ok... :)

• For Rockchick, here is duck tours website (just look at the pics its hysterical and - no - you won't get wet!) - my nephews LOVE IT!http://www.ducktourssouthbeach.com/home2.htm

• For MattndjsMomOk, in terms of flights/hotels in April - it might be pricey because April is still our peak season here - May is borderline peak season and our low season is June to about the end of September. South Beach, in particular, can be very expensive in April but, again, hunt around on line for the best price.

I hope this helps you both!

Go to www.lastminutetravel.com and seach for a hotel down-town and select 5-Star. You should see a hotel for around $84.00... It is the "Intercontinental Miami"... The way you will know if it is the Intercontinental Miami, is becasue if you click on "more info", you will see under the "LOCATION" section the following: Centrally located next to Bayside Market Place & Conveniently located in Biscayne Bay... Also, it will state that it has 34 floors... This is a 5-Star hotel that is one of Miami's best for only $84.00 plus tax. Can't beat it anywhere...

In addition to the above if you click on birds eye view in the map area it will show the hotel name and all, works on most hotels, that way you are comfortable with your blind booking

Bettlebomb-my DH, two sisters-in-law and another couple used Lastminutetravel.com and also got 3 rooms for $84 each. When we checked Intercontinental Prices when we booked last month it was $234/night, now it's down to $161, still a great savings. We're flying in from San Antonio earlier in the day to Fort Lauderdale and taking SAS down to Miami-can't wait. I've saved so much money and learned so much through this Board. See you in 70+ days!

We are staying at the Marriott Biscayne Bay in three weeks and I got a great price - $89 per night on the Marriott web site,(way back in the spring.) I've never stayed there, but the location and price couldn't be beat!

I just got on priceline last night and did the name your own price. I chose the Downtown Miami area, and a 3 1/2 star rating hotel. I ended up getting the Marriot Biscayne Bay Hotel for $70 (before taxes). I've heard it's a good hotel. It says it's undergoing renovations until November sometime... but doesn't seem to be a big deal. Having never done a bid on a hotel before, I'm pleased with the results. Our cruise is for Oct. 2nd. :)

Marriot Biscayne Bay Hotel, its in an excellent location with easy access to the ports and it has some great views too! Hey I walk my dog at a nearby park called "Pace Park!!!!" That park is like one minute up the road where you guys are - North Bayshore Drive! That park has fantastic views of the water and I think you can see the EPIC plus other ships from there but not close though. :D

Ok... :)

• For Rockchick, here is duck tours website (just look at the pics its hysterical and - no - you won't get wet!) - my nephews LOVE IT!http://www.ducktourssouthbeach.com/home2.htm

• For MattndjsMomOk, in terms of flights/hotels in April - it might be pricey because April is still our peak season here - May is borderline peak season and our low season is June to about the end of September. South Beach, in particular, can be very expensive in April but, again, hunt around on line for the best price.

I hope this helps you both!

Thanks Puggo63! We are currently booked at La Quinta Inn & Suites near the airport just so that we have something. I will check as we get closer for other hotels closer to the port.

Maureen,

We have stayed at the La Quinta on LeJeune by the airport 4 or 5 times. They offer free on-site parking for your vehicle while you are on your cruise.

The free breakfast is pretty good.

The shuttle to the port is free, but it fills up, so if you are like us and like to board early, spring for a cab, it's only $24 or $26 (fares between port and airport are regulated)

Enjoy!

Kathryn

I was searching hotels for our Feb 2011 cruise and I came across a Best Western at the airport that has currently has not opened yet but they are taking future reservations, (it looks to me like December is the month that it will open). I was wondering if anyone living in the Miami area might have a first hand view on this hotel.......I'm sure being new is a plus in itself but I guess I was wondering if it is near anything or in a good area....any info is appreciated

Thanks!

Thanks Kathryn!

Glad to hear that it is a decent place to stay. We won't have a car as we are flying into Miami from New Jersey and just using their free shuttle from the airport and then again to the port. Can you give me any tips on restaurants that are nearby that are kid friendly? We will be travelling with our two children ages 9 & 5. Our 9 year old is a great eater but our 5 year old is very picky and has a very limited menu. Any suggestions would be great.

We are meeting my inlaws who are coming from the Vero Beach area so getting to the port first thing isn't necessarily a priority for us on this trip.

We are renting a car after the cruise to spend a few days with my inlaws before heading back to NJ. Got a great deal through Thrifty -especially being Easter weekend.

Thanks so much!

Go to www.lastminutetravel.com and seach for a hotel down-town and select 5-Star. You should see a hotel for around $84.00... It is the "Intercontinental Miami"... The way you will know if it is the Intercontinental Miami, is becasue if you click on "more info", you will see under the "LOCATION" section the following: Centrally located next to Bayside Market Place & Conveniently located in Biscayne Bay... Also, it will state that it has 34 floors... This is a 5-Star hotel that is one of Miami's best for only $84.00 plus tax. Can't beat it anywhere...

Thank You Lewis4x4!

Just booked the Intercontinental for pre cruise stay Sept. 24. Original plans were to fly in Sat. same day as cruise (done that before for sky, but more invested in this cruise) but changed flts today! Worth the change fee and $84 for hotel!

We stopped at the Holiday Inn, Biscayne Blvd 2 weeks ago before getting on the Epic. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Very dated, in need of a very good CLEAN!!

We are trying to plan where to stay in Miami. We are flying on on the thursday night, spending the friday there, and our ship leaves Saturday. Where do you guys recommend we stay?

I am not reading through the entire thread but...you do not state whether price is an issue or not. Therefore, since you say you flying in Thursday night, my sugggestion is to find the least expensive hotel Thursday night for which to rest. Usually a hotel from hotwire last minute has never disappointed. Given what you saved on Thursday, you can splurge a bit more on Friday since you are already in Miami. Depending on what you want to do in Miami can make a difference. If you want near the ship/port where you can walk to Bayside (and you want a really nice hotel) then check out the Viceroy. I can stay at that hotel without venturing anywhere else in Miami. Everything on the website is true and is more fascinating in person! Even so, if you want to see South Beach and hitting the touristy areas/Lincoln Road mall/South Beach beach is important, then take a look at the Essex House Hotel...it is very near all the action but one block away from the noise. Again, those two hotels are only if price is not an issue. I discovered both hotels for dirt cheap years ago on hotwire when they first came out and they are so very good that I am willing to pay the full expensive price today for them.

Good luck and keep in mind...when in Miami all you really need is a clean restful room to store your luggage!

coka

Beetlebomb, I am not sure you can cut through the park to Bayside mall. I haven't been in that park in years but I do know there is an ampitheater in the center. Bayside mall is on the other side of the park and it is a bit of walk - and with this heat it will feel much longer!!!!

Now, Miami as being dangerous, its a big city now ( and growing like crazy with horrendous traffic to match) and like any big city you have to be careful. We are not a high crime city as we used to be a decade ago. Miami/Miami Beach is a tourist town and, of course, with high tourist areas there might be some criminal element around - its the nature of the game. For the record, Europe is much much worse, with pick pocketers all over and snatch n' run incidents happening frequently. Unfortunately, the poster before had "drug dealers" in the room next to them which was weird (OMG how did they know they were dealing???). Hey I traveled and I have seen all kinds of suspicious things in all areas - no matter if your hotel is 5 star. Now, for Ft. Lauderdale being "safer", hey I got my Blackberry phone stolen in a Barnes & Noble there for God's sake!!!! So see, in this day and age, safety is an illusion!

I hope this helps you! By the way, if you see the American Airlines arena, there is a place behind it called "Bongo's Cuban Cafe." Now thats a tourist trap! Its like a Hard Rock Cafe restaurant with mediorce Cuban food I am Cuban and know the "real stuff") and expensive prices - its a rip off! :D If I remember and I hope its still there, there is a Cuban restaurant in Bayside Mall called "Latin American Bayside Cafe" which makes pretty good Cuban food and its cheap. If you like coffee, ask for a "Cuban coffee" there aka an expresso, now that coffee is the "bomb" and highly addictive! If you have any further questions, please ask!

Tks again for your response. If we decide to go to the market, we will take a taxi. Lot easier on me for walking.

puggo63 -

We are flying into Miami next April - the week before Easter. From your experience, is this considered "prime season" due to the holiday and/or Spring Break?

We are having trouble finding decent hotel rates and flights. We are travelling with our 2 small children so cleanliness and safety are our main concerns.

Thanks for your help!

Hi MattnDJsMom

We fly in from UK on the wednesday before good Friday and have had the same problem! We decided we'd book a room at the Beacon Hotel on South Beach (full refundable and got good rate with Facebook!!) adn we'll check lastminute to see if anything cheaper opens up.

Didn't want to risk arriving and not having anything booked, especially with the journey we've got and it being Easter weekend :eek: - can't believe how late it is this year- we're sailing for my 40th (turns out that's Easter Monday) and Easter's never ever been anwhere near my birthday!!

When do hotels on lastminute.com open up? The $84 IC deal does not come up for my dates yet in October? Still too soon to book? The deal is there for the end of September though.

I booked the IC deal last night for a Fri night in early October, but it has not been confirmed. I was told I will be notifies within 48 hours if the hotel will accept it. I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

When do hotels on lastminute.com open up? The $84 IC deal does not come up for my dates yet in October? Still too soon to book? The deal is there for the end of September though.

We booked our October 1st night weeks ago, but so did a bunch of others in our roll call so I imagine they only have so many rooms/night for the discount sites. Your dates might be booked up.

We booked our October 1st night weeks ago, but so did a bunch of others in our roll call so I imagine they only have so many rooms/night for the discount sites. Your dates might be booked up.

Yeah, it looks like October 29th is all booked up, at least for this deal. Every Friday in October has the $84 deal and the next couple of Fridays in November has the deal but nothing on the 29th. Boo hoo.

Archived