What's the earliest flight you would book out of FLL?

FLL is a madhouse on cruise days. If you can get off the ship at 8, you should be fine. You'll have to manage your luggage, stand in line to check it in, and then stand in a very long and slow moving security line. It's been my experience that the folks at FLL on a cruise embarkation/disembarkation day are the least traveled, and the most likely to hold up security by not knowing the rules.

Just to be on the safe side, you'll want to know what your options are for alternative flights, just in case there are issues and you can't make the flight.

Port Everglades is so close to FLL, and frankly, I think that as long as everything goes right (and it usually does) that 11:05 will be fine.

Clearing the ship and getting to the airport is only half the battle! If your cruise ends on the weekend, FLL is a madhouse. We flew home on a Saturday in April and there were ships in port. The outside line for checking luggage was 1 hour, inside it was closer to 1.5. There were people in line with 11:30 flights sweating it! Of course, we took our time getting to the airport b/c our flight was not until 1:00. Not sure how it is earlier.

FLL is a madhouse on cruise days. If you can get off the ship at 8, you should be fine. You'll have to manage your luggage, stand in line to check it in, and then stand in a very long and slow moving security line. It's been my experience that the folks at FLL on a cruise embarkation/disembarkation day are the least traveled, and the most likely to hold up security by not knowing the rules.

Just to be on the safe side, you'll want to know what your options are for alternative flights, just in case there are issues and you can't make the flight.

Port Everglades is so close to FLL, and frankly, I think that as long as everything goes right (and it usually does) that 11:05 will be fine.

OP is sailing out of miami on the Liberty of the Seas so they have to clear in miami then get transportation to fll to make 11:05 flight. Not sure what day of the week they return but will be close.

OP is sailing out of miami on the Liberty of the Seas so they have to clear in miami then get transportation to fll to make 11:05 flight. Not sure what day of the week they return but will be close.

Oh! I misunderstood. I thought you'd be cutting it close going from Port Everglades to FLL. POM to FLL, I wouldn't do it. Non-stop is nice, not missing your flight or being stressed out after a lovely cruise is nicer.

As I said, and other posters have said, FLL is insane on cruise days. You just don't need that aggravation!

I'd pick a flight at around 1 or 2. You should qualify for a BAGS program, where they take your checked bags the night before and send them through to your destination. That way you can be leisurely about getting up and getting out and you can cut out that whole claim the bag thing at the port.

Arrange for a shuttle, SAS is a good one to pick you up and take you to FLL.

It would be a Sunday, so it will probably be crazy at FLL. Last year we flew out of FLL at 8am on a Sunday thinking we would beat the cruise crowd and it was absolutely crazy there at 5:45am! Took forever to get the luggage checked, the security line moved fast though.

Looks like we'll have to book a later flight...

Thanks everyone!

We cruise out of Miami and then fly out of FLL. One time the customs did not clear the ship until around 11 am. Our flight was at 3 pm, so we were ok. But by the time customs cleared the ship, and then everyone got off, we didn't get to our ride until about 12:30.

So, I think that flight time is too early.

• 2 weeks later...

Our ship (Equinox) returns Feb 7, 2010 Monday at 7 am to Ft lauderdale Port

what's the earliest you'd book a flight for return home on Monday?

right now our options seem like they will be 12:40 pm or around 5 pm--- a bit earlier than my present comfort level or a very long wait!!!

Does anyone know if SW air has a luggage valet program at that port & airport--that'd maybe speed the process..

I think we have to decide on this by tommorrow..

right now our options seem like they will be 12:40 pm or around 5 pm--- a bit earlier than my present comfort level or a very long wait!!!

Does anyone know if SW air has a luggage valet program at that port & airport--that'd maybe speed the process..

If you're docking at Ft. Lauderdale and flying out of FLL you should have no problem with the 1240. Don't know about the valet program and SW. I'd just grab a cab when you hit the sidewalk. If you want to save a few minutes and some stress use a porter to get your gear through customs and to the cab. It's worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Charlie

Check out this thread it might be able to help you with this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24695060

thanks for the help & suggestions

flights opened up on SW Air this am for our Jan/Feb cruise.. the schedule changed a bit

they offered a non stop at 3 pm so we booked that-- will probably sit a long time in the airport but prefer that over worrying about the disembarkation day events!! Hope there is a nice lunch place in the SW air terminal--

they would not accept the free flight certif...(only good for a 9 pm flight) so we'll save it for a time when we are more flexible-- other than for holiday periods this is the first time we experienced the certif not being acceptable for any flight of the day-- but peace of mind is worth it--

Archived