San Juan Beaches

SuperDad

We will be going to San Juan on the Carnival Glory in November and don't like any of the excersions Carnival offers for this port. We will be in port from 7am till 3:30pm and were thinking about just going to the beach. We found 2 that are close to the pier and were wondering if anybody has any comments on each. The beaches are Escambron Beach and Condado Beach. Is one beach better than the other? Are they safe? There are 7 of us (Ages 11 to 46) so what would it cost for a cab to each? Is there bus service to each? If so, how is the bus system in SJ? How much time should I give to get back to the ship?

Any info will be greatly appreaciated.

SuperDad - you asked about the beaches and I hope you get some good answers. Unfortunately, I'm not the one to give them to you. I did investigate the beach opportunities at one time but didn't do it. With 7 people I think you would want to go to a public beach that has rest rooms and other facilities. Escambron is one of these and that there are others one on Isla Verde. Escambron should be accessible by public bus. What day of the week would you be doing this? The facilities at Escambron are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Was in San Juan last year and went to Escambron Beach. This is closer to the pier then the others but is used more by the locals. the cab cost was $4.00 per person. 2 years ago we went to Condado Beach which is futher away. The beach was not as crowded and offered umbrella's and chairs.

The cost was $10.00. I'm sure you could negotiate a price for a larger group.

The Marriott Stellaris is on Condado beach. The beaches of Condado, Ocean Park, and Isla Verde form one long stretch of beach, about 3 miles long. Most of the better hotels are located along these beaches.

Here is a live videocam for Ocean Park beach - right in the middle the three.

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/puertorico/islaverde/index.php?cam=oceanpark_str#

Archived