Eggs benedict

Jennfor5

If you like Eggs Benedict you might want to take a Holland America cruise. They have a a special Eggs Benedict station in their lido buffet area every day where they make both traditional eggs benedict and about 8 variations (such as with crab meat)...all made to order. Another nice HA touch is that they always have fresh sqeezed OJ at breakfast for no charge.

Hank

If you like Eggs Benedict you might want to take a Holland America cruise. They have a a special Eggs Benedict station in their lido buffet area every day where they make both traditional eggs benedict and about 8 variations (such as with crab meat)...all made to order. Another nice HA touch is that they always have fresh sqeezed OJ at breakfast for no charge.

Hank

I wish Royal Caribbean did that too. I am sure it would be a hit if they gave it a try. I had heard that you have to special order them in the MDR if that is what you really want and that they took it off of the menu entirely!!!! Unbelievable with the amount of people who like it.

RCI seems to work hard at not making anything to order. We have all experienced the eggs piled into hot table trays, hamburgers cooked until well done and than left to soak in hot water, pasta prepared in bulk and sitting in a tray on a hot table, etc. HA has gone to lengths to avoid this banquet kind of food preparation. At breakfast you can get any kind of eggs made to order (including scrambled eggs), at lunch they have a pasta station that makes each pasta dish to order (this can be slow), burgers are also made to order at the grill as are numerous types of deli sandwichs and wraps. This is one reason (among many) why we have dropped RCI to the bottom of our list of preferred cruise lines. Even Princess (a lot like RCI) does quite a few food items better than RCI (Princess has the best pizza at sea).

Hank

Hank

totally second this!! absolutely amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Celebrity having Eggs Benedict in the MDR. NCL does as well. If you are in a suite and have access to Cagney's for breakfast (NCL), they have crab cakes eggs benedict that I hear is wonderful (I'm allergic to bell peppers and their crab cakes have bell peppers in them so I couldn't try them). Cagney's did sub salmon for the Canadian bacon for me though... :D :D :D

• 3 weeks later...

Looking forward to having eggs benedict on the Epic next month! I love it with crab and I've also subbed smoked salmon for the canadian bacon.

Does anyone know if this is on the room service menu? Maybe this is a dumb question but can you get anything on the MDR menu as room service?

Hank

That sounds AWESOME... III Forks does a special steak "Oscar" style with Hollandaise sauce and crab meat that is FANTASTIC... I can only imagine it would taste Amazing as a variation on eggs benedict. YUM.

That sounds AWESOME... III Forks does a special steak "Oscar" style with Hollandaise sauce and crab meat that is FANTASTIC... I can only imagine it would taste Amazing as a variation on eggs benedict. YUM.

We cruise on many different lines (12 to date) and find that each line has their food specialty. On Princess we love the pizza (hand made dough), escargot, and the many dessert souffles. On HA it is that wonderful Eggs Benedict station at breakfast, the sandwich bar at lunch (like a deli where they make each sandwich to order), the fresh sqeezed OJ (free) available at the breakfast buffet, and the pasta station at lunch, and the ice cream station (open all day) where you can custom make your sundaes. On RCI we like some of their cold soups (the Strawberry is yummy) but various cut-backs on this line have really hurt many of the items we used to enjoy on this line.

Geez, am getting hungry now :)

Hank

• 2 weeks later...
I just asked about this in the Royal Caribbean board. Apparently you have to be a Diamond Member to get it in the MDR. (It sounded like Diamond Members have their own separate dining area. :confused:)

That's crazy! Like I said, I haven't sailed RCI in a few years, but if they are starting to dumb down the menu except for "special" cruisers, I think I will stay away longer.

Heck, even Carnival has Eggs Benedict on the regular MDR breakfast menu.

Although I really shouldn't say "even" Carnival... we found the food on Carnival superior to RCI, actually.

I just asked about this in the Royal Caribbean board. Apparently you have to be a Diamond Member to get it in the MDR. (It sounded like Diamond Members have their own separate dining area. :confused:)

There are many "lame" posters on the RCI board and you apparently found one! Diamond members (and that would include moi) do not get special food in the MDR or any other dining venue. As to eggs benedict, they do sometimes have it on the breakfast menu in the MDR. If it is not on the menu you could still make a request of your waiter and they may, or may not, be able to grant your request. We have also seen Eggs Benedict sometimes served in the breakfast buffet area where they will sometimes have a large tray of the dish. As I said in an earlier post, if you really like Eggs Benedict or one of its many variations you should cruise on HA where they have a special Eggs Benedict station at the breakfast buffet.

Hank

You do NOT have to be diamond to eat breakfast in the MDR....diamonds/suites may be able to take their buffet fare into one of the specialty restaurants, but that's about it...the MDR is for EVERYONE!

I don't believe the poster said you had to be a Diamond member to eat in the MDR... I believe he/she said that someone had said that eggs benedict was not on the menu for "regular" cruisers.

That seems odd to me, but the point was never made that not everyone could eat in the MDR.

Oh Lordy...not sure where some of the folks get their info. Let me be crystal clear (and we do not mean Crystal cruise line). There is no special menu for Diamond members on RCI. Diamond Plus does get access to the Concierge Lounge where they do have some continental breakfast items (this does not mean Eggs Benedict). To be honest, the Diamond benefits on RCI have been reduced in recent years (its one reason we try to now avoid RCI). If RCI could find powdered eggs that would somehow look like Eggs Benedict we are sure they would have em every day :)

Hank

Hank, I believe I would be the "dumb" poster you guys are referring to.:rolleyes: And on the RCCL cruise I disembarked on September 18th, one of my tablemates at breakfast in the main dining roomone morning was told eggs benedict was only available in the Diamond breakfast area. After the waiter left, he ranted about how some mornings he'd been able to get it but not others. Then he had the nerve to tell me that since I was Diamond I should order them for him.

They did offer salmon benedict one morning as a special in the main dining room but eggs benedict is no longer on the breakfast menu on RCCL. You may get it if you request it or you may not.

I traveled with a Diamond member in September and the first day they had one of the dining rooms all to themselves for breakfast and they served mimosas , the rest of the days they were in our dining room but had a special section. They did not get an eye batted at them when they ordered eggs benedict. WHen I ordered it sitting in the regular section he said he would have to see. SUre enough he got it for me. Thank Goodness!!

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on Mariner in July and were disappointed to find Eggs Benedict was not available every day. We had gotten spoiled on carnival--which did make it available every day in the main dining room. (Don't hold me to it, its been a few years since we did a carnival run)

We were seated at a table with an awful man who made a big fuss and made the whole table uncomfortable. Yelling at the waiter that he got it on carnival and RCCL was supposed to be "fancier" and what a joke it was--made him go get the maitre de... it was just uncomfortable. Don't get me wrong, I was just as bummed as that guy was, but would not have subjected my table to my tantrum.

Even when we DID see Eggs Benedict on the menu (I think it was Wed. for Eggs Benedict and Fri for Salmon benedict but they would "sub" in ham if you wanted), I was SO disappointed. We got like--sandwich ham. The hollandaise was flavorless. Eggs inconsistently cooked. We were in OS on the Mariner so we were able to have MDR food delivered to our room. It was nice to have the option but the quality was not that exciting--although the same as it had been on the day we went to the MDR so not room-service's fault.

We are doing NCL in December and I am SUPER excited as we will supposedly have made to order eggs benedict available in cagneys. If someone knows that is not the case DON'T TELL ME---I prefer to dream until I get aboard ;op

You know, I can't for the life of me figure out why it's so darn difficult to get Eggs Benedict! Bob Evans took it off their menu, too, and some will still serve if you ask, others won't. They still have every single ingredient in other things on the menu, so they obviously still CAN make it, they just won't. And it's such an EASY thing to make!

It's not like it's lobster and caviar baked in a sherry sauce, for god's sake.

Archived