Walkie-Talkies

torilyn

Any current updates on the best walkie-talkies on cruise ships? Going shopping soon and need some feedback. Appreciate it. Thanks

I've seen some good ones from Cobra in Walmart stores. I will add, if you have seen the Radio Shack commercial by Lance Armstrong, "Use your indoor voice" Like cell phones shouting into them doesn't help. :eek:

I've seen some good ones from Cobra in Walmart stores. I will add, if you have seen the Radio Shack commercial by Lance Armstrong, "Use your indoor voice" Like cell phones shouting into them doesn't help. :eek:

and please if you use walkie talkies on board remember to turn them off when you are in a show, at dinner or any other such venue. Nobody else wants to hear your kids (or the many others on the same channels) while trying to enjoy their evenings.

the best walkie talkie for a cruise ship is the one left at home. Use post its in the cabin, orpre arrange meeting points. I was going to take some but then decided that they are an annoyance and no guarantee you get through with all the ship superstructure. With postits and well behaved kids you should be fine. Also walkie talkies and water do not mix well, most kids love the water activities.

the best walkie talkie for a cruise ship is the one left at home. Use post its in the cabin, orpre arrange meeting points. I was going to take some but then decided that they are an annoyance and no guarantee you get through with all the ship superstructure. With postits and well behaved kids you should be fine. Also walkie talkies and water do not mix well, most kids love the water activities.

We find most people with walkie talkies annoying. They can be quite a distraction especially if you are relaxing and you hear the squawking and "come in come in where are you"?

On our recent Panama Canal cruise we were on the helipad at about 4:30 or 5 am. There was a lady trying to wake up her husband through the walkie talkie. Someone finally told her she was driving everyone crazy and she left. There is no ambience with a walkie talkie around.

We use dry erase boards. The walkies don't always work as you can't get a clear channel most times. Kids and spouses seem to Lay/lie them down and forget where they put them. Go with the magnetic dry erase boards, they have worked perfectly for us. I used to take them every cruise but this last one my kids never used them just left room phone msgs..

We use the Midland GXT635's and they work great on and off the ship. We keep are conversations short and do our best not to annoy other passengers around us. You can use as many sets of walkie talkies as you want and these have 22 channels, each with 121 privacy codes for 2,662 combinations and have worked well on our last 4 cruises.

These ones show that they have text messaging, might eliminate the noise overheard by others. I don't have them but ran across these when I was looking at doing the same. I think I am going to stick with hoping to rent a set of DECT phones on the ship.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/TriSquare-TSX300-2VP-EXRS-eXtreme-Radio-Service-Two-Way-Radio-Pair-with-Accessories/8456522?findingMethod=rr

OP just ask what is best...not for a lecture. If everything that was distracting was left at home the ships would sail empty.
That's why the BEST walkie talkie ......... is NO walkie talkie !!!! :D

and please if you use walkie talkies on board remember to turn them off when you are in a show, at dinner or any other such venue. Nobody else wants to hear your kids (or the many others on the same channels) while trying to enjoy their evenings.

Sometimes the wackos on this site just amazes me. They work like a charm especially for the little older KIDS ( 14-18). OOPs!

and sometimes you're doing something which is actually illegal. Just because your walkie-talkie is legal in the USA, it doesn't mean it's legal in the countries (and territorial waters) that you visit. USA GMRS/FRS radio for example, use the same frequencies as the UK fire departments; and transmitting on one of those frequencies is a serious offense.

and sometimes you're doing something which is actually illegal. Just because your walkie-talkie is legal in the USA, it doesn't mean it's legal in the countries (and territorial waters) that you visit. USA GMRS/FRS radio for example, use the same frequencies as the UK fire departments; and transmitting on one of those frequencies is a serious offense.
If my ship takes a wrong turn out of St. Thomas and winds up in Manchester or Liverpool ......... I'll keep your thoughts in mind !! :D :)

Sometimes the wackos on this site just amazes me. They work like a charm especially for the little older KIDS ( 14-18). OOPs!

Assuming that was directed at me. Just to let you know I have been sailing with my kids for quite a while now. They are now 15 & 20 and have NEVER used walkie talkies on board. Personally I know that my kids would end up leaving them somewhere making them useless. We go the post it route with regular check in times and have never had a problem staying in touch. We actually talk to our kids during the day and we all know where the others are. Never found a use for them.

On the other hand, I've sat next to people that have them. I've tried to sit on an upper deck reading a book and had the constant 'bleep bleep' on a walkie talkie next me. Not the quiet afternoon I was looking for!

Did I say don't take them, no I did not. All I asked is if you do, be considerate of those around you. A lot of people don't realize the impact they have on others. Just take a look at everyone on their cell phones these days :eek:. I really don't care to listen in on your conversations.

OP just ask what is best...not for a lecture. If everything that was distracting was left at home the ships would sail empty.

BTW the cheap Cobra ones (model cxt85) seem to work well.

Amen. I will grant to the complainers, yes it does seem a majority of people using these things are doing it badly, but punish the people, not the product. Proper use of these devices can help people enjoy their cruise and not interfere with the enjoyment of others, except the ones looking for reasons to complain.

Archived