Infinity to Alaska REVIEW AND PHOTOS

APDMOM

Hi, KAYEF! We noticed the same thing on our luggage tags. It is not an issue. It seams like X makes this mistake - might have something to do with how it is set up on computer. If you search for a cabin on the website it will also shade it in the wrong quadrant of the deck. We got our luggage despite this issue. I am sure they only look at the cabin number.

By the way... I see that cabin 6023 on your sailing is still available. It is the same cat as you have, but it has a double-sized balcony...in case you are interested to switch:)

Thanks, but I don't understand.............twice the size? It looks exactly the same on the ship decks site............can you help me here? Maybe we will take your advice!

I have read that these port side verandahs get smoke from the outside smoking area below................comments on that?:confused:

I imagine port would be better on this cruise since we're headed south...........but, then it's north and then north and then east... and.........:)

Was there noise from the showroom in the deck 6 cabins up front?

Do you have any more of those beautiful photos to share? What kind of camera did you use? Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone for the compliments. I do have MANY photos - I will probably exceed my quota on photobucket if I tried to post them :D

I use a Nikon D40X. They do not make it anymore, but the D60 or D80 are even better. I have 2 lenses: 18-55mm and 55-200mm zoom.

I will see if there are a couple more favorite shots that I did not post :)

Thanks, but I don't understand.............twice the size? It looks exactly the same on the ship decks site............can you help me here? Maybe we will take your advice!

I have read that these port side verandahs get smoke from the outside smoking area below................comments on that?:confused:

I imagine port would be better on this cruise since we're headed south...........but, then it's north and then north and then east... and.........:)

Was there noise from the showroom in the deck 6 cabins up front?

Hi, KAYEF. I know... the website decks do not show them as twice the size. That is why they are called the "sweet sixteen" cabins - kind of a 'secret' that CC members know ;) Not even all the Celebrity Certified Vacation Planners know about these.

I think you will be able to tell from this photo... the "sweet sixteen cabins are the balconies that "protrude" beyond the life boats. You can see them on the center of the picture. Above them are 'regular sized' verandas. Hope this helps :)

DSC_0006.jpg

[/color][/size][/font]

PS to KAYEF:

We never smelled smoke on either balcony (port or starboard side) and I am sensitive to smoke.

We also never heard any noise from the Celebrity Theatre. This was the most quiet cabin we have ever had. :)

Thank you, yes it helps. This is what we suspected, as Alaska cruises tend to be a bit more casual. Thank you for confirming.

We were on the Infinity the week before-July 23-30 to Alaska and I have to say I was surprised at how many people were dressed very formally for formal nights! Women in long and short sequin gowns and cocktail dresses. A few men in tuxedos but mostly tie and jacket. It was not mostly casual at all. So I guess it just depends on the crowd. I actually was thinking I was underdressed in a nice skirt and top. Next cruise I will bring at least one fancier outfit.

• 1 month later...
what kind of clothing did you pack (i.e. how heavy was your heaviest coat), did you take an umbrella, what about foot wear for your ports? Thanks for your review...all my cruises have been in the caribbean. Can't wait for this one!!!:D

Since our cruise was end July, I only packed one warm coat - warm enough for temperatures in the mid to upper 40's. I did pack one light jacket that I wore most of the time at night. I only wore my coat one day - Tracy Arm Fjord.

I took an umbrella - never needed it.

I took only my regular tennis shoes for rain. :) I figure they are good enough for rainy days wherever I go, why not for Alaska?

Since our cruise was end July, I only packed one warm coat - warm enough for temperatures in the mid to upper 40's. I did pack one light jacket that I wore most of the time at night. I only wore my coat one day - Tracy Arm Fjord.

I took an umbrella - never needed it.

I took only my regular tennis shoes for rain. :) I figure they are good enough for rainy days wherever I go, why not for Alaska?

Thanks! Booking the exact same week for 2011!:D Seems like stupid questions, but July for me is shorts and bathing suits...Alaska seems like another world. 40s in July just ain't right. Went to Jackson Hole this year in June and stood in snow! boggles the mind! I was all out of kilter having to wear jeans and hoodies in June! Oh, well. thanks for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

Great review & pictures! As you have done so much research into your Alaskan cruise, which month is the best to go(especially to see whales) and what would the weather be like.

Thanks

Alison

Great review & pictures! As you have done so much research into your Alaskan cruise, which month is the best to go(especially to see whales) and what would the weather be like.

Thanks

Alison

Thanks! Although many people insist there is no 'best time' to go, I found most reviews of great weather for end of July, first week of August. It is also a good time to see the salmon run in Ketchikan. We saw MANY whales. One morning there were whales blowing everywhere! It was pretty far from the ship, but was nonetheless amazing. I would choose to go about the same time if we ever go again (last week in July/First week in August).

Enjoy planning! :)

great review - we're doing AK next year with my mom & mil out of Vancouver on the Century. Did you do your tours together with your parents or go separate ways?

We did a lot of "mix & matching". Some activities the men did together; some me & my dad; some with everyone. For our family, it is important to plan well so that nobody says, "I wish I had done this/that". I would recommend that everyone prioritizes what they want to do and plan accordingly. We actually even typed up our family's itinerary to know who goes where, with whom, and when. :D What can I say? I am an organized woman... There was plenty of time on the ship for all of us to spend together. I hope this helps your planning.

Thanks for your great review and photos!

If you go again, I would definitely recommend getting out of the port area of Juneau. If it's a lovely sunny day, take the Mt. Roberts tram up for great views. We also walked up into the neighborhoods by the Russian Orthodox church, saw beautiful flowers and lots of Juneau folks out enjoying the gorgeous day.

And I concur, do not miss Brent Nixon's talks.

Glad you had such a great cruise. Thanks for sharing your impressions.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for all the wonderful pictures. I was sorta contemplating about this cruise next summer, and your pictures pretty much convinced me that I gotta go :D Thanks again!

Thank you for providing our evening's comedy break! We love your avatar. My husband is also a math geek :D

Enjoy planning your Alaska cruise.

Thank you for providing our evening's comedy break! We love your avatar. My husband is also a math geek :D

Enjoy planning your Alaska cruise.

Thanks! Here's another one for your math geek husband:

There are only 10 types of people in this world: Those who understand binary and those who don't. :D

Archived