Infinity to Alaska REVIEW AND PHOTOS

APDMOM

Thanks for your detailed review and beautiful pictures. We are leaving for the same cruise in 12 days. This is our first cruise, so we have lots of questions! How formal are the formal nights? My husband is not looking forward to the "dress up" nights as he tends to be more of a blue jean kind of guy. Would he feel out of place in a navy sports coat and khaki pants or do we need to invest in a suit? Any input you or anyone else who has sailed on Infinity would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for the review and the dailies!

Did most people dress up on formal night? How about the other nights in the dining room? Did you see a lot of jeans in the dining room?

Trying to cut down on luggage! :D

Thanks!

Thanks for your detailed review and beautiful pictures. We are leaving for the same cruise in 12 days. This is our first cruise, so we have lots of questions! How formal are the formal nights? My husband is not looking forward to the "dress up" nights as he tends tpo be more of a blue jean kind of guy. Would he feel out of place in a navy sports coat and khaki pants or do we need to invest in a suit? Any input you or anyone else who has sailed on Infinity would be greatly appreciated.

Formal night was probably my biggest surprise of the cruise. I expected to see more tuxedos than on other cruises, yet this was probably the most dressed-down crowd I have encountered. There was a wide variety from tuxedos to a couple of guys who just wore a golf shirt (with no tie).

Even the ladies were not as dressed up as I expected. On other nights, there were jeans in the MDR. Never shorts though - as they are not allowed in the MDR. We did not eat in the MDR on the second formal night - these observations were from the first one only. I hope this helps :)

Formal night was probably my biggest surprise of the cruise. I expected to see more tuxedos than on other cruises, yet this was probably the most dressed-down crowd I have encountered. There was a wide variety from tuxedos to a couple of guys who just wore a golf shirt (with no tie).

Even the ladies were not as dressed up as I expected. On other nights, there were jeans in the MDR. Never shorts though - as they are not allowed in the MDR. We did not eat in the MDR on the second formal night - these observations were from the first one only. I hope this helps :)

Thank you, yes it helps. This is what we suspected, as Alaska cruises tend to be a bit more casual. Thank you for confirming.

Thanks for the fast response. Your information has been very helpful!

Thank you so much APDMOM for sharing all your pictures and information! I especially appreciate that advice on the rooms and the daily schedule as we are going next year and I am the planner for our party of 5.

Day 1:For information on our cabins (6025 and 7080), visit this link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1251749

Can you help me, please? I notice you had # 7080; we have 7064 coming up 9/24 on the repositioning cruise.

In the Celebrity catalogue of cruises the deck plan shows this is on the Starboard side.

On our Luggage Tags, it shows the Port side????????

Thanks!

I'm really interested in your reviews since this will be our first Celebrity cruise after ten HAL cruises.:)

Juneau is one of my least favorite ports. *It offers one jewelry shop after another, and it has more of a Grand Cayman/Georgetown atmosphere than small town Alaska.

I go to Alaska often and if I have new people with me, I always rent a car and it is ALWAYS from Rent A Wreck.........last year it was about $58. for a full size sedan.

There are many fun things to see in Juneau and it gets you away from the carnival atmosphere.

I take them to the glacier and a ways down the road is the Chapel on the Lake on the U of A campus.

You can drive to the end of the road for fun perspective on how much road they have..........to the Shrine, to Fred Meyer in case you forgot something or NEED to buy snacks ;)........across the bridge to Douglas Island for another view and Juneau has the most fantastic Museum.

All the other Car Rentals are way out at the airport and the first time (and last) I rented it was a $26. cab ride back to the dock. R-A-W returns you and picks you up...............they are NOT wrecks, BTW.

This was the only port we had rain (it was merely MIST)..........got sunburned in both Ketchikan and Skagway. We went all the way to Homer, Anchorage and Kodiak this year.............a fantastic, 14 day cruise.

Day 4: Sawyer Glacier (First part of the day)

On the way back from the glacier, we were fortunate enough to see Orca Whales! I am so thankful for this special treat.

DSC_0049.jpg

WHAT A SHOT!!....................both the whale AND the ice chunk in that beautiful blue water.

This could be a postcard!:)

Can you help me, please? I notice you had # 7080; we have 7064 coming up 9/24 on the repositioning cruise.

In the Celebrity catalogue of cruises the deck plan shows this is on the Starboard side.

On our Luggage Tags, it shows the Port side????????

Thanks!

I'm really interested in your reviews since this will be our first Celebrity cruise after ten HAL cruises.:)

Hi, KAYEF! We noticed the same thing on our luggage tags. It is not an issue. It seams like X makes this mistake - might have something to do with how it is set up on computer. If you search for a cabin on the website it will also shade it in the wrong quadrant of the deck. We got our luggage despite this issue. I am sure they only look at the cabin number.

By the way... I see that cabin 6023 on your sailing is still available. It is the same cat as you have, but it has a double-sized balcony...in case you are interested to switch:)

Thanks for your detailed review and beautiful pictures. We are leaving for the same cruise in 12 days. This is our first cruise, so we have lots of questions! How formal are the formal nights? My husband is not looking forward to the "dress up" nights as he tends to be more of a blue jean kind of guy. Would he feel out of place in a navy sports coat and khaki pants or do we need to invest in a suit? Any input you or anyone else who has sailed on Infinity would be greatly appreciated.

dmah3903. You must be on our cruise which departs on 8/27. Come join our roll call. Have you signed up for the connections party?

There are many fun things to see in Juneau and it gets you away from the carnival atmosphere.

I take them to the glacier and a ways down the road is the Chapel on the Lake on the U of A campus.

You can drive to the end of the road for fun perspective on how much road they have..........to the Shrine, to Fred Meyer in case you forgot something or NEED to buy snacks ;)........across the bridge to Douglas Island for another view and Juneau has the most fantastic Museum.

[/color][/font]

Thanks for the info on Juneau, KAYEF. I will definitely research that next time. The first car I ever rented in America was in fact from "Rent-A-Wreck" :D

First: Spectacular photos and thanks for sharing so much information - so I'm going to bug you for a little more - suspecting you are so detail-oriented you know this (and if you don't, perhaps someone else who's been on Infinity this season will) ...

We are on the 8/27 cruise. We have sailed to AK with Celebrity three times before, but the previous time on Infinity was out of Vancouver. Does this trip go northbound along the west side of Vancouver Island or the east side? It's been those same three ports every time for us but never Ketchikan FIRST, so I'm curious.

thanks! - T

Infinity AK 8/27/10

Mercury AK 6/07

Galaxy PC 4/06

Mercury AK 8/05

Millennium EC 12/04

Mercury CA/MX 4/04

Infinity AK 8/03

Century WC 3/03

Century EC 9/02

My husband and I were on the Infinity to Alaska the week before(July 23-30) and it was absolutley wonderful. I agree completely with you about the service, crew, and experience on the Infinity. It was all so wonderful!

The weather was amazingly clear and warm for our cruise. We also saw whales and bears as well as the most beautiful scenery imaginable! Tracy Arm Fjord is magnificent! You must have a balcony for this cruise-it is worth the extra cost. We had room service for breakfast each day and sat to watch the scenery go by or just enjoy being out at sea.

We did the same thing in Skagway- YES! Rent a car from Avis, use the Murray's Guide and go! We saw black bears right next to the road eating berries just a few miles outside of Skagway. The lakes and scenery are breathtaking! Just bring some food or lunch along as there is no place to eat except for ice cream in Carcross.

We did go on the whalewatching excursion in Juneau and saw several hump back whales and a lot of beautiful scenery. But the whales we saw from the Infinity were more fun to see! Skagway and Ketchikan were my favorite ports. Great people, shopping and the best halibut and chowder!

This cruise was our first but far exceeded our expectaions! we enjoyed it so much we booked the same cruise for July 2011. We sail to Alaska again July 15th and I am already counting the days!

First: Spectacular photos and thanks for sharing so much information - so I'm going to bug you for a little more - suspecting you are so detail-oriented you know this (and if you don't, perhaps someone else who's been on Infinity this season will) ...

We are on the 8/27 cruise. We have sailed to AK with Celebrity three times before, but the previous time on Infinity was out of Vancouver. Does this trip go northbound along the west side of Vancouver Island or the east side? It's been those same three ports every time for us but never Ketchikan FIRST, so I'm curious.

thanks! - T

Yes, T! You have got me down... I am detail-oriented and welcome any questions.

We sailed on the outside of the island - in the pacific ocean. Initially (back in March), the map showed that we would sail inside - east of Vancouver island. However, this sailing is now only on the outside/western side of the island. I did take some pics of the TV station of where we sailed. I will try to post some later. :)

Archived