Flying in to San Juan the day of the cruise

maladigiz

This is not really true. They will wait but only so long. They do not wait for hours on end, at least the 2 times it happen on ships we were on they only waited I think like 3 maybe 4 hours and then we left. The ship was kinda empty with all the people that missed or were delayed after a huge storm hit the east coast.

Laura

Yeah, that's what I meant---they'd wait a few hours--which I believe would be enough time...I wasn't implying that they'd wait forever or a day.....

We were scheduled to arrive the afternoon of our cruise - 12/03/10 on the Millennium, - but after reading all the posts, I called the Travel Agency, and had them move the flights back to the day before instead, and booked a hotel on the night before......Thanks for the advise....:D

Hi:) and as glad as you are that you did that now? You are going

to feel 10 x better when you arrive:D....you will get to San Juan

and look at each other and say...."I am so glad we got here a day

early";)....besides the lack of stress, you are starting the vacation

a day early! It is ALL GOOD!:D

Hi:) and as glad as you are that you did that now? You are going

to feel 10 x better when you arrive:D....you will get to San Juan

and look at each other and say...."I am so glad we got here a day

early";)....besides the lack of stress, you are starting the vacation

a day early! It is ALL GOOD!:D

.......and If you eat in a rstaurant that serves Comida Criollo you will be eating real authentic Puerto Rican food...something we apparently won't be getting on board.

Anybody remember that beautiful, hot August Thursday when the power went out throughout half of the Northeast? I think it was 2003. We had a Grand Princess Eastern cruise booked and the power still hadn't come back to our neck of the woods until a night before our flight. La Guardia (NYC) went back up the night before, but we were worried our flight was gonna be delayed. We didn't know until we boarded if our flight was gonna be on time. We were ready to drive from NYC to Florida on Friday night for a Sunday departure! We were lucky in that we flew out the day before. Our flight was actually early. My brother and sister in law flew in the day of, the next day after us, and they had problems with their luggage due to delays on Delta. I was so glad we flew the day before, as delays were ongoing the whole weekend and some people did miss their flights, depending on what airline they flew.

We were scheduled to arrive the afternoon of our cruise - 12/03/10 on the Millennium, - but after reading all the posts, I called the Travel Agency, and had them move the flights back to the day before instead, and booked a hotel on the night before......Thanks for the advise....:D

Did it cost you anything to change the flight ?

You get in at 2:30 and ship sails 6 hours later. It's a gamble on any day if you will get to the ship on time. Last year we were flying in 2 days prior to the cruise and our friends flew in on the day of the cruise. We got a bad storm and our plane was cancelled. We couldn't get another flight for 3 days. I also lost my prepaid hotel. We missed part of the cruise. Our friends had no problem. Relax and hope for the best. I have often flown in on the same day as the cruise...and doing that I have never missed the ship. This year I am flying in on the same day as the cruise.

Anybody remember that beautiful, hot August Thursday when the power went out throughout half of the Northeast? I think it was 2003. We had a Grand Princess Eastern cruise booked and the power still hadn't come back to our neck of the woods until a night before our flight. La Guardia (NYC) went back up the night before, but we were worried our flight was gonna be delayed. We didn't know until we boarded if our flight was gonna be on time. We were ready to drive from NYC to Florida on Friday night for a Sunday departure! We were lucky in that we flew out the day before. Our flight was actually early. My brother and sister in law flew in the day of, the next day after us, and they had problems with their luggage due to delays on Delta. I was so glad we flew the day before, as delays were ongoing the whole weekend and some people did miss their flights, depending on what airline they flew.

DELTA is an acronym for Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive. We were on a cruise out of San Juan when my wife lost her luggage on American Airlines. There was somethinig like 40 or 50 people from a Delta flight with no luggage. That was the first time I really found out what DELTA meant.

Yeah, that's what I meant---they'd wait a few hours--which I believe would be enough time...I wasn't implying that they'd wait forever or a day.....

There are some instances where a ship has delayed sailing but this is not the norm. They would probably only do it if they had a substantial number of people booked thru Celebrity on the flight and if it was the arriving flight to the port. This does not help you if you have a problem with a connecting flight say from the midwest to Miami or some other hub city. It also does absolutely nothing for you if your baggage is delayed. IMHO, this is not even a consideration in deciding which day to fly. During the Winter months, we always arrive two days early. Many, many people missed cruises last year particularly those living along the east coast.

• 2 months later...

Well we're back from the cruise and I just wanted to let everyone know how it went with flying in on the same day.

Our first flight arrived in Miami 5 minutes early, and our connecting flight arrived in San Juan a half hour early so we were lucky that way.

However, we were supposed to sail at 8:30 but there was a flight that was delayed with some of our passengers on it. They held the ship until all the late arrivals made it on board.

Well we're back from the cruise and I just wanted to let everyone know how it went with flying in on the same day.

Our first flight arrived in Miami 5 minutes early, and our connecting flight arrived in San Juan a half hour early so we were lucky that way.

However, we were supposed to sail at 8:30 but there was a flight that was delayed with some of our passengers on it. They held the ship until all the late arrivals made it on board.

Glad you made it and hope you had a good cruise too:D:):D

Archived