New to NCL - Dancing Opportunities Question

Dance2Nite

Hi all,

I asked this question last week on the 12/5/10 Spirit Role Call Board and haven't received a reply, as yet. Maybe some one with 'Spirit' experience and an ear for good dance music can lend a hand?

Our evening passion is dancing (hence Dance2Nite). What is the best Spirit venue for ballroom style - no disco, please, unless the DJ has a kind heart and willingness to play our CDs. Our interests are ballroom, Latin, swing and Argentine Tango. Also, any information on where the lounge is located or any other helpful information will be appreciated (don't want to waste floor time looking for a place to dance).

Thank you in advance for any information.

I'd read your daily paper and they'll tell you what times and places the bands will be playing and the type of music. The dancing will most likely be in the Galaxy of the Stars on the top forward deck.

We were on the Spirit out of N.O a couple of years ago. There was ballroom dancing nightly in Galaxy of the Stars. We also like to take the dance classes onboard. They had a couple from Houston who owned their own studio teaching free classes and were great! Wish we could have them again.

You will find the dance floors on NCL ships to be quite small and the vast majority of the dancers not paying any attention to the ballroom dancing flow around the floor. More like bumper cars, to me.

I hope that you find it better than I have experienced.

I'm curious about Epic- I'll be on board in February. I'm not a dancesport fanatic- I'm quite happy doing say, a cha-cha to "I Need To Know" or a "Hot,Hot,Hot" merengue. But NCL's publicity implies that Bliss plays crackhead gangsta rap at 140 decibels all night. Do they vary the music to suit the crowd, or is it really going to be an unpleasant experience? Or is there a different venue which plays danceable music?

Hi all,

(don't want to waste floor time looking for a place to dance).

Thank you in advance for any information.

I love to dance as well. When we were on the Majesty last February - we went to one of the advertised ballroom dance nights - it was very early in the evening, for a very short period of time and lacking in enthusiasm. My first cruise was on a Swing Dance cruise, so the more recent experience was disappointing. However, after leaving a show we walked through one of the little side lounges and there was a one man show guy playing music for his lounge patrons and he was playing 70s/80s cover type music - which you can swing dance to.

Paul and I stopped and started dancing on the non-existent dance floor. We had a ball and then the guy started playing a great mixture, some 40s, 50s, etc. The floor wasn't great, but the music was, we had fun, other people got up and started dancing (even if they never had before) and it became our nearly nightly stop. Whenever we showed up the music choices seemed to change a bit to fit.

The night after the comedian show - we hung out with the comedian - had a great time talking, dancing and having a few drinks.

I guess my long-winded point is that your ship may be different and you may find the dedicated ballroom opportunity great, or you may accidently bump into a dance venue that isn't a dance venue, but either way if your experience is similar to ours, you'll have a great time!!

I'm curious about Epic- I'll be on board in February. I'm not a dancesport fanatic- I'm quite happy doing say, a cha-cha to "I Need To Know" or a "Hot,Hot,Hot" merengue. But NCL's publicity implies that Bliss plays crackhead gangsta rap at 140 decibels all night. Do they vary the music to suit the crowd, or is it really going to be an unpleasant experience? Or is there a different venue which plays danceable music?

Plan on eating in the larger main dining room, the Manhattan Room. Dining and Dancing nightly, shades of the much lamented Rainbow Room (where my fabulous husband took me for my 50th birthday, what a night!). Dad said there are lots of little rooms with different things going on. And a theater that only seats 681 passengers...make reservations for EVERYTHING you want to do or you won't get to do it.

...your ship may be different and you may find the dedicated ballroom opportunity great, or you may accidently bump into a dance venue that isn't a dance venue, but either way if your experience is similar to ours, you'll have a great time!!

Thanks for the response, an1864girl. You have confirmed the old addage that, "The secret of life is not in weathering the storm, but in dancing in the rain." Our experiences with dancing have been in finding those spots on board that afford a little interlude, be they in the atrium with 'Muzak', adjacent to the afternoon tea with a classical string quintet, or a small lounge with a combo - heck, sometimes we even get lucky with the DJ! Make the most of your opportunities and dance, dance, dance!

Thanks to everyone who has weighed in on my inquiry. We will check the daily schedule, inquire of the crew and, if need be, make our own music and find our own place.

The Queen Mary2 has the biggest dance floor at sea, with real orchestra and will actually play several different dance styles. So, if a transatlantic is in your future I'd book her. :D

Sauer-kraut - I have saiied the original Queen mary twice (once as a baby and once as a four year old) and the original Queen Elizabeth (age 18) - both magnificent ships!) and some day plan to re-visit their namesakes.

Thanks for the response. Fair winds and calm seas to you - makes for good dancing!

nothing wrong with asking the DJ to play your music :) We have had places to ourselves at times and ask them to play our music and we dance. We miss having opportunities to dance on NCL more formally but take the chance to have our own dance floor when we can

Just head to the Manhattan Room any evening for dinner - beautiful dinner "club" really since there's live music. The Manhattan Band played generally 5:30-7:30 and then started up again around 8. Check Freestyle Daily for exact schedule. It was so nice having dinner with the live band - It's Fly Me to the Moon, Sunny Side of the Street, As Time Goes By - and a nice little dance floor that was not used nearly enough!

Last wk they added a guy who also sang and played trombone (as I recall) so there was vocal as well.

On Weds. evenings (if Bernie Martini is still on when you go) he joins the showband for a live vocal show and he's excellent. Mainly Sinatra and Buble.

Later at night in Spice H20 are themed events and people were dancing to ABBA (FABBA night), zouk night, etc. That's not live music though.

We also enjoyed doing some reggae with Flex, the Caribbean band, who play poolside everyday different times.

BTW, they also had some salsa and hip hop dance classes onboard.

Be sure to check out the "Everything Epic" section of NCL on CC and you'll pick up a lot more info.

We have always found plenty of dancing on NCL. You might have to get creative and dance to more contemporary music. Ask the DJ for some Lady Gaga or Pussycat Dolls and tear up the floor with a cha cha. The DJ on our cruises usually has plenty you can cha cha, merengue, salsa or hustle to.

We have always found plenty of dancing on NCL. You might have to get creative and dance to more contemporary music. Ask the DJ for some Lady Gaga or Pussycat Dolls and tear up the floor with a cha cha. The DJ on our cruises usually has plenty you can cha cha, merengue, salsa or hustle to.

I messed up yesterday and my reply did not get posted (should have copied the text before finalizing!). Thank you for the response. We like to cha-cha, merengue, salsa and hustle, along with a lot of other stuff, so we shouldn't have any problems finding a spot or two. Sometimes the best dance opportunities are those impromptu happenings - more fun that way.:D

DW's DS and her hubby from Connecticut will be on board with us. They were looking for a warm weather opportunity to celebrate their 1st wedding anniversary (a little early). They met dancing, so it seems to run in the family.

NCL will be a new experience for all of us, so with 101 days to go, things are looking up! See you on the high seas, maybe?

Archived