Suva - What to do

IngFam

Hi all,

We're off to Suva in October and wondering what to do. the last time we went there we just grabbed a tour off the wharf and ended up at some resort and the kids horserode on the beach. I don't want to do that again so can anyone give me some ideas.

Not a big fan of looking around markets or shops in Suva.

Looking forward to your replies.

When we went to suva last year we went to the arts village... we had a group of 8 from our roll call and did it privately.... it was cheaper, longer and we had lunch as oppose to the ships tour...

it was a great day..

joanne

bit off the topic but its on the same cruise

when you go to Port Denarau if you havent been there before go behind the shops and share a taxi with some other friends and go and see the Sleeping Giant and the First Village and get the driver to stop in Nadi for some shopping....all up you need 3 to 4 hours for the tour....the price to see the Sleeping Giant cost an extra $9 AUD....its still cheaper than what the ship charges

rkmw

If I went to Suva again, I would stay on the ship.

Amen to that, Suva was a dump in 1970 when I was there on P&O Iberia and it was bigger dump when I was there in 2007 on Regal Princess. Really it is a dirty town, with little to see, an old church, crummy shops and some markets. Get out of town if you can to see the real Fiji.

The trouble is when you get out of town, you get to see all the skinny dogs and skinny horses. A lot of the skinny horses we saw were tied to trees, all the dogs looked like they had parvovirus. It made me sick, and when I got back to the ship I stood in the shower for half and hour crying. I swore even if I got a free trip to there I would NEVER go. However I will say that the village we went to, the people were very nice, but there animals weren't. The people couldn't do enough for us, however I would still never go back there.

Another vote for staying on the ship! Been there twice now on Princess trans Pacific cruises. I would not go there as a destination but having the option to stay on board means that I would still take a cruise that calls there.

I have only been to Suva once and that was enough.I went on a bus tour around the city which included a tour of the Museum which I found interesting especially the cannibal history.

As an animal lover I like Rockie get very upset about the state of some of the poor animals I have observed on the small amount of travel that I have done.This country is not much better.We have a lot of skinny,undesexed dogs out in the indigenous populated areas.

Thanks for your replies. Looks like there's really not that many options.

On the Princess Personaliser that lists all our tours there are no options for Suva. Last year when we were there on our way to the hotel that our tour guide took us to he pointed out all the different jails - I couldn't believe how many jails there were.

How long does it take to get out of the town?

On the Princess Personaliser that lists all our tours there are no options for Suva.

that is funny.... I would give them a call as if you look at your cruise under the general search there are lots of tours and the dates are between sept 10 and mar 11.....

maybe they will be available once on board...

joanne

Amen to that, Suva was a dump in 1970 when I was there on P&O Iberia and it was bigger dump when I was there in 2007 on Regal Princess. Really it is a dirty town, with little to see, an old church, crummy shops and some markets. Get out of town if you can to see the real Fiji.

Les

We were also on P&O Iberia in 1970. We went in February. Was that the same cruise you were on.

our last cruise stopped in suva, i did a full day tour privatly organised with the arts village as well, instead of the 3 hrs and $100 plus tour the ship did.

we were picked up just outside the gates at suva, not inside where all the tour buses are, in the end there was 10 or so of us from our roll call on the private tour. we arrived before the p&O group, recieved a private guide for our group, were provided with drinks and lunch which we saw them preparing tradionally earlier in the day. We watched the firewalking show, which was very entertaining ( at this point the p&O masses shopped and went back to the ship ) our group was then shown through the traditional village and participated in a kava ceremony, then had some quick shopping time, and did the boat trip and show around the village. and back onto our bus to be delivered back at the ship.

the website for the arts village is http://www.artsvillage.com

and the email i booked through was - bookings@tsulu.com

( i got the contact details on CC, unfortunatly i cant remember who posted them to give them credit for it)

in every case my emails were answered within hours and they were very helpful and friendly and more than happy to provide answers to any questions i had. I beleive we paid between FJ$75 to FJ$85 plus the taxi cost which was split evenly between the group.

We went to timeshare Fiji Palms in 2006,

and did a river trip which was actually okay,(timeshare option)

we also had a trip to Suva and surrounding areas- different day, and had lunch in Suva,

it was to me preferable to Nadi where we were constantly hassled by some shop owners.

Obviously from comments it must be worse now because i didn't think it was any worse than Vila in Vanatu.

If you can get on a tour is probably your best option

Hi all,

We're off to Suva in October and wondering what to do. the last time we went there we just grabbed a tour off the wharf and ended up at some resort and the kids horserode on the beach. I don't want to do that again so can anyone give me some ideas.

Not a big fan of looking around markets or shops in Suva.

Looking forward to your replies.

Last time I was in Suva with my family (kids 7 & 9) we took a tour to the cultural centre and saw the fire walking and traditional dances. I won the 300 shore tour prize at the shore tours talk so I had credit to spend otherwise it would have been much cheaper to hire a taxi to take us there. It was an interesting place. If you plan it well you could eat some lunch at one of the resturants, write some post cards and have them sent. Followed by the afternoon show.

The place is called the pacific Harbour arts centre. I looked up trip advisor and found the following coments about the attraction:

From trip advisor web site:

“Must Do In Fiji” 7 Mar 2009

It was a great Fijian experience. You get to learn about the food, history, culture and people. The guide and the all the people that worked with our tour group were great. The shows and tours were informative and gave you insight to how the people used to live. It was just a shame the hotels had brochures for it. If you have the time to do it, it is definitely worth doing. Hope you enjoy!

You know there are many destination that cruise ship visit that get poor reviews. Two examples Noumea & Suva, but the thing is, for Australians visiting these destination they are culturally different from home and do have some sights worth checking out. . My tip is get away from the dock and head to a nicer part of the city in Noumea and in Suva. This may involve a taxi ride, and a few hassles or it may be you follow a map from tourist information. Clearly those who say they these port a terrible have found the experience did not meet thre expectations and these people will never return. Dont let someone eleses experience ruin yours. It islikely this will be a one time visit and it should be an experience to be enjoyed. Read up on the history,check what the guide books say and find something during the months leading up to the cruise that is of interest to you and your family plan to visit this when you arrive. Try to enjoy every day and every experience of the cruise including the ports. Take a camera and you can get some great photos of the ship in port as you strollmalong the foreshore in Suva, this is just to the left as you come out the gates of the port, note that this path leads to a nicer part of town. Fail all of that it has been said the best attractions, food and entertainment is at the ship.

You know there are many destination that cruise ship visit that get poor reviews. Two examples Noumea & Suva, but the thing is, for Australians visiting these destination they are culturally different from home and do have some sights worth checking out. . My tip is get away from the dock and head to a nicer part of the city in Noumea and in Suva. This may involve a taxi ride, and a few hassles or it may be you follow a map from tourist information. Clearly those who say that these port a terrible have found the in port experience did not meet there expectations and these people will never return. Dont let someone eleses experience ruin yours. It is likely this will be a one time visit and it should be a experience to be enjoyed. Before you visit a port maybe read up on the places history, sights and do's and don'ts of the destination. It is also impotent to check what the guide books say about a place and find something during the months leading up to the cruise that is of interest to you and your family then plan to visit this when you arrive. Try to enjoy every day and every experience of the cruise including the ports. Take a camera and you can get some great photos of the ship in port as you stroll along the foreshore in Suva, this is just to the left as you come out the gates of the port, note that this path leads to a nicer part of town. Fail all of that it has been said the best attractions, food and entertainment is at the ship.

i've been to Suva twice ( soon to be three time) last time we were there I was pushed from behind onto the road by a female police officer ( that was nice)

We did the Rewa Delta And Nailililili Missionary School that was really great but a word of warning : we did the cruise in December which is when all the school kids are on summer holidays so there was hardly any children at the schools, also to get to the village you have to go by boat, similar to a tinny ( this was not mentioned in the tour book and a lot of people found getting in and out of the boats a bit awkward.

This time i think we will do Molituva Ancient Ruins tour

I LOVE bartering with the locals for the wooden souvenirs, you get a better deal if you "walk away" :)

Les

We were also on P&O Iberia in 1970. We went in February. Was that the same cruise you were on.

Crikey mate, you have me thinking now..I met the 'boss' on that cruise from Sydney. I cannot recollect what month in 1970 it was now, but it may have been Feb. From memory we went to Honiara, Rabaul as well as Lautoka, Suva and somewhere else. I do know where I was on F deck, communal bathroom ! We hopped off the ship in Lautoka and drove across the island, rejoining the ship in that pearl of the South Pacific - Suva !

PS I was only a 22 year old lad then, crikey..40 years ago. Actually my cruising career began at an early age, my old man was in the British Army for 24 years, 1940 to 1964. As an Army family in the 50's, we sailed all over the world in troopships, like Orwell and Nevasa.

It must have been a different cruise. It was our honeymoon and we went to Auckland, Nukualofo (but couldn't get in because of rough weather) then Suva for 2 days to make up for Tonga then Noumea and back to Sydney.

We spoilt ourselves and had a 2 berth room (not bunks as it generally was in those days) and we were on the Promenade deck. We arived home from our honeymoon and had $10 in the bank. We survived though.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived