Don't need medical- but should we add flight?

cnie414

Hi all- I will be cruising on the Legend out of Tampa on Sunday the 29th. Our flight (on delta) is direct and is scheduled to leave Detroit at 845 am and arrive in Tampa at 1125 am. We did not buy the cruise insurance because we don't want medical coverage (both 23 and healthy), but should we add insurance for the slim chance our baggage is lost? I don't think insurance is available in case we are delayed and miss the boat. Is this assumption correct? (we booked the flight through priceline, not carnival) Thanks for the help- I think that I am just starting to obsess a little TOO much since the cruise is so close. - Claire

Hi all- I will be cruising on the Legend out of Tampa on Sunday the 29th. Our flight (on delta) is direct and is scheduled to leave Detroit at 845 am and arrive in Tampa at 1125 am. We did not buy the cruise insurance because we don't want medical coverage (both 23 and healthy), but should we add insurance for the slim chance our baggage is lost? I don't think insurance is available in case we are delayed and miss the boat. Is this assumption correct? (we booked the flight through priceline, not carnival) Thanks for the help- I think that I am just starting to obsess a little TOO much since the cruise is so close. - Claire

How may horror stories have started out... we're in our 20's and in good health, we didn't think we'd need insurance.

I never travel outside the US without travel insurance. I don't get travel insurance for the medical, I get it for everything else unexpected.

I get it for the medical evacuation ~$50K

I get it for trip delay and/or cancellation reimbursement

I get it for lost/stolen/misplaced jewelery/ cameras/laptop/etc

I get it for lost/misplaced luggage

I get it for Proof of Ability to Pay for medical emergencies in foreign countries e.g. broken leg, over indulgence ;) , Montizumas revenge, etc,etc

I get it for repatriation of remains

I get it for missed/delayed flights

I get it for "Piece of Mind"

I agree with Klfrido. I would not have made the decision to buy or not to buy the medical insurance based on your age. Things can happen when you are away and the costs can be a great deal higher.

In terms of insurance the decision comes down to cost versus risk. Take a look at the cost of the policies you are considering for the air travel including their cost and what they cover and then decide if having the insurance is worth the cost versus the risk if you don't have it.

Again, read the details of the policy so you know what it covers and what is not covered.

Keith

This is a bit off topic, but if you and your friend are both only 23, how did you manage to book a cruise on Carnival? I thought there must be at least one person who was 25 or older in each cabin, if you were not married.

Back on topic - trip insurance for you will be very inexpensive. No one can predict if they will become sick or injured. If you miss the ship, you'd have to read the policy to see what it covered, but usually you must make an effort to catch up, which will be a problem for you if you don't have a passport. If you don't prove you made that effort, often you will not receive reimbursement for anything.

Archived