A Life Jacket?????

pacaduli

OK, Paul is deathly afraid of water, but wants to try to experience snorkeling. I have told him that he can piggy-back on me, since I am a very experienced swimmer...but somehow he is still very apprehensive about trying to float!

Are there life vest available on any of the privately operated tours that he can use?

We are planning on Patricks BB and Brunos Raiatea...

Has anyone ever taken a life vest off of the cruise ship to use for the day?

Any information would greatly help Paul! LOL

Thanks! Carol (Pauls other half)

I don't think they will allow you to take a life jacket off the ship for snorkeling, I sure wouldnt' be counting on that one. Snorkeling with a life jacket on would be nearly impossible anyway as they are made to keep your head out of the water and to snorkel, your face needs to be in the water.

My suggestion is to purchase a snorkeling vest to take with you (or borrow one from a friend). They are inflatable but take up very little space in the luggage but work wonderful for beginners who are not confident in the water.

Bruno does not supply any type of flotation devices, and I don't remember Patrick supplying these either. Enjoy!

As usual I agree with Toto. We bought vests at our local scuba shop. Even bought a small whistle to attach to them. They are completely flat until you blow some air in the tube. Easy to use. I snorkeled in some heavy swells one time in the Caribbean and wished I had a vest. Many of the tours we're doing don't furnish much of anything so we're bringing our mask, snorkel and travel-sized fins.

HI Carol! We bring our own life vests to all our snorkeling trips!

Ours are call wakeboarding vests and my hubby purchased them from Evo Gear outlet a few yrs ago. They're the best since we don't even know how to swim! :D they're pretty flat not like the ones for emergency uses on the cruise ships. They sell something similar at Costco earlier this summer, but I see halloween merchandise at Costco now.

here are some links and hope they're helpful!

http://www.liquidforce.com/vests-main.html

http://www.evo.com/shop/wake/wakeboard-vests/liquid-force.aspx

outlet

http://www.evo.com/outlet-shop/wake/wakeboard-vests.aspx

My husband does not swim either and I read that the snorkle vest is not a life jacket. It only holds you up on the surface so if the snorkle vest sprung a leak...... We are bringing a comfy life jacket to use while on our trip. I really don't want to worry about loosing my husband and it's more relaxing for him.

My husband does not swim either and I read that the snorkel vest is not a life jacket. It only holds you up on the surface so if the snorkel vest sprung a leak...... We are bringing a comfy life jacket to use while on our trip. I really don't want to worry about loosing my husband and it's more relaxing for him.

If you don't know how to swim, you definitely need a life jacket. The inflatable snorkel vest is only for additional buoyancy but should not be relied upon as a safety device.

I agree with all the above and must also mention this:

If he has NEVER snorkeled before, then PLEASE have him practice at home BEFORE your trip. Snorkeling may seem easy to those that have done it often, but it is highly unlikely that someone who is already "afraid of water" will learn to relax and breathe with his face submerged in an ocean! :o

Buy him a mask and snorkel set, and have him use it a few times at a local pool. It will make his ocean experience SO much better (for everyone!)

I agree with all the above and must also mention this:

If he has NEVER snorkeled before, then PLEASE have him practice at home BEFORE your trip. Snorkeling may seem easy to those that have done it often, but it is highly unlikely that someone who is already "afraid of water" will learn to relax and breathe with his face submerged in an ocean! :o

Buy him a mask and snorkel set, and have him use it a few times at a local pool. It will make his ocean experience SO much better (for everyone!)

Julia, you are so correct! My husband who can swim just fine, starts to tense up as soon as he gets away from shore, the boat, or within grabbing the pool edge and this is compounded with a mask and snorkel to the point that he panics and is convinced he is going under. He 'snorkels' with a mask at best and usually not even that, as he doesn't need the extra distraction to add to his water discomfort. From what I understand of some of the Fr. Polynesia locations, non-snorkelers can still see some beautiful fish and coral in some of the shallower areas.

We also would have an inflatable childs-type raft-along with other safety items. it is 'something to hold onto' some people hate that feeling of floating free and would feel more secure with the raft.

The first time for him should be walking into the shallow water - not off a boat - and have water shoes on.

Of course, he should have already tried this out in a pool at home. The action of the water will be different than the pool, so he should take it slow.

I have fears (not water) and have to go at my own speed and when I'm ready - but I do overcome the problem a little at a time.

Great DH for wanting to try it !!

MaryAnn

Archived