Notification of Increase on new Cruise

4canucks

Anyone else experience this. I have put my deposit down for the Ruby

Feb 11..Price was agreed to over a week ago and today just rec'd notification an increase due to taxes and gove't fees 16.35 pp..

Is this happening to anyone else?

Feb 11..Price was agreed to over a week ago and today just rec'd notification an increase due to taxes and gove't fees 16.35 pp..

Its happened to us - actually when we were on a cruise - the govt fees increased and they put that increase (it wasnt much) on our shipboard acct. Also we didnt stop at a port due to weather and they took those fees off so it can go both ways. When you put a deposit down its for the cruise fare itself not any changes in govt fees and taxes those changes get passed on to the customers no matter when they change.

Its happened to us - actually when we were on a cruise - the govt fees increased and they put that increase (it wasnt much) on our shipboard acct. Also we didnt stop at a port due to weather and they took those fees off so it can go both ways.

ok thanks..It is not a huge amount but I was just wondering...cutting into my cocktail funds.

cheers.

Not at all unusual; it happens all the time. Ports charge fees "per passenger" and sometimes, they raise their fee. Thus, the passenger pays the increase, even if it's after final payment, in which case, it'll be added to your onboard account. Sometimes, although it's rare, the port charges will go down.

Some people misunderstand these fees and think they are imposed by the U.S. government, which is not the case. They are local taxes, fees, charges, whatever you want to call them. A few U.S. states or countries impose fees/taxes as well, in addition to the local port charges. Alaska is a good example of this.

We have booked the Grand for Oct 25 and made final payment. We have just been notified they will add $9.35 to our shipboard account for incresed taxes.

We are on the Thanksgiving on the Grand, our taxes have increased $10.38 pp. Will just be added to the final payment, no sweat.

Yes and sometimes they even send you a notification that you are getting a refund of anywhere from a few cents upward due to a change in taxes and fees. But normally it is where they charge you more.

Does anybody know when they notify of this increase, do they give any details besides the amount? I mean which port or something like that.

Some times they e-mail you, sometimes it just shows up on your shipboard account, usually if you check you personlizer if think it is down at the bottom of your summary page (or one of those) where they have the emergency notification listed.

We are also travelling on the Ruby in February 2011, but I haven't heard anything about an increase. Did you receive an email about the increase?

Dar

I saw it on my personalizer when you go to the bottom of the page where it talks about travel documents and other notifications.

Lucky you we are on star princess next February increase of $58.00 plus pp.

will be added to your final payment,after final payment added to your shipboard account.

Go to cruise personalizer

Look on the right hand side for the column that has the "cruise Personalizer" links. Click on the "View Itinerary" link.

It will have the schedule of the cruise and the "Important Notices"

And way down at the bottom is where they usually hide any increases.

I just saw this on my personalizer.

GOVERNMENT FEES & TAXES DECREASE

Please be advised that the Government Fees & Taxes for your voyage have been reduced by $9.52 per person for passengers ages 12 and older and by $7.52 per person for passengers ages 11 and younger effective for bookings made prior to July 15, 2010. For bookings paid in full, no action is required. This amount will automatically be credited to your shipboard account. For bookings not paid in full, the Government Fees & Taxes have been adjusted accordingly, and the balance due has changed. Please review the balance due amount prior to making final payment.

Just paid in full so it doesn't affect me. I don't ever remember a diff in ages affecting the increases or refunds before.

My travel agent put this notice on my receipt: "Please be advised, Princess Cruises reserves the right to raise or lower the cruise taxes you are currently being assessed up until sailing."

On our cruise in March, we received a refund when our ship did not tender at Princess Cays.

Archived