Mosquitoes on River Cruises??

LLD

Need answers about whether or not there are lots of mosquitoes around on river cruises??? I would most likely take a river cruise in the fall on the Danube, Rhine or Moselle.....

Would like to hear actual experiences of yes there were mosquitoes or no, there were no mosquitoes. I know it seems logical that if it is cold outside there should not be a problem but if it is a problem there is a large possiblity I would not go! :(

we did not run into any mosquitoes on our September/October 2009 Danube River cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg. DH is a great meal for those biters and he didn't get bitten once. (Trust me, I would know if he did!) Of course, YMMV (your mileage may vary as they say).

We had some airborne assault issues on our Nile and Lake Nasser cruises but housekeeping mounted swift counter attacks. We always carry sprays on all travels now, including ocean cruises with port stops; in our experience ports can have a wide range of bloodsuckers, including the two legged variety!

We've been on river cruises in China, Egypt, and Europe. The only place we've had a problem with mosquitoes was in St. Petersburg, Russia, which is notorious for the size of their mosquitos.:eek:

A repellent with deet works best.

QUOTE=NEW SALT= We had some airborne assault issues on our Nile and Lake Nasser cruises but housekeeping mounted swift counter attacks. We always carry sprays on all travels now, including ocean cruises with port stops; in our experience ports can have a wide range of bloodsuckers, including the two legged variety!

New Salt-that has to be THE FUNNIEST REPLY I have ever read! The way you wrote it was absolutely great! Love the military diction!!!! You cannot imagine how much of a pain I think it is with these darn mosquitoes! I am a mosquito magnet and if I get even one bite I am in trouble!

Should I decide to go on a river cruise I will be sure to arm myself accordingly and the enemy better be ready to experience some rapid fire! Even if my arsenal consists of fly swatters and cans of bug spray! :)

We also have a product here (Spain) called Afterbite in a pen sized roller which is very effective if you respond quickly. I also carry a French made syringe set that withdraws the poison provided you spot the bite quickly. I have found that to be more effective than I expected. I think the worst mossies I have encountered anywhere are those that lurk on the Akrotiri peninsula salt lake in Cyprus. They are huge and can drain a goat or child in less than a minute.:(

Based on experience I guess those insects find their way anywhere they want!! On my first visit to Venice we had a hotel room right on the canal, what a view---then to my dismay I saw about a half a dozen mosquitoes lurking on the walls! They were all over the room! Immediately, I closed the windows and started hitting the mosquitoes off the walls! The next day after touring this marvelous city I came back to my room noticing the housekeepers left the windows open-more mosquito patrol for me!! Next morning I used my basic knowledge of the Italian language and left a note for the housekeepers asking them to please keep the windows closed!!! Funny when you think back but not when it is actually happening!!

Archived