Norwegian Star - Spinnaker is Gone.... Where else do you go for outside views?

Smokeyham

We sailed on the Norwegian Star before, and really enjoyed the wrap-around views from the Spinnaker lounge.

Now that the Spinnaker is gone, are there other inside spaces on the ship where you can still get a nice outside view? If so, are those other locations crowded?

We're considering the May, 2011 repositioning cruise from LA to Vancouver, via Alaska, but if there is no indoor space that let's you enjoy the view then this may be a deal breaker for us. There are three days at sea, and it would be great to enjoy the views of the ocean from a public room. Of course, a balcony would be nice to enjoy the views, you don't the same sweeping vistas.

Any thoughts from those of you who have been aboard the Star recently?

Thanks....

Edited by Smokeyham

The Star Bar...OOPS! they have taken that over just for suites until 5:00 pm.

Looks like you have to be a window table hog in the buffet area.

Actually, the covered pool deck area could be good on most days, although it is "outdoors".

going on Star in November to Panama Canal...and possibly on the same cruise you're considering in May. Would the spa be a possibility??????

That's a good question. On our recent trip on the Pearl they were selling day passes to the Spa for $20. However, they only had a limited number, and those sold out quickly. They did offer a cruise-long spa pass, but I don't remember the price.

I wonder if cruise-long spa pass would be available on the Star? If so, this might be a good investment as a quiet place to go to enjoy the views.

I know I won't take the Star for this reason, I can't believe they converted the Spinnaker Lounge in Suites. Do you know if they will do the same on other ships?

The "word on the street" is that, yes, they plan to do the same to the other ships in the class. But they have not made any official pronouncement on it that I have seen, so, until they do, it is just rumor.

That's a good question. On our recent trip on the Pearl they were selling day passes to the Spa for $20. However, they only had a limited number, and those sold out quickly. They did offer a cruise-long spa pass, but I don't remember the price.

I wonder if cruise-long spa pass would be available on the Star? If so, this might be a good investment as a quiet place to go to enjoy the views.

While the Pearl Spa looks out forward, the Star Spa looks out Aft

you could stay in one of the suites that are now there.

It's a thought, but I take a repo cruise to keep the costs down. Also, you still wouldn't get that "wrap around" experience that you did in the old Spinnaker lounge.

Ah.... good poiint..... I love having a forward facing lounge to enjoy. :(

Unfortunately, many of the new ships being built today don't have a forward facing lounge... As more and more passengers demand aft and forward suites aboard a ship, the forward lounge alike an aft swimming pool is being squeezed out...

What is happening to the Star reflects what is happening with new ships being built...

Unfortunately, many of the new ships being built today don't have a forward facing lounge... As more and more passengers demand aft and forward suites aboard a ship, the forward lounge alike an aft swimming pool is being squeezed out...

What is happening to the Star reflects what is happening with new ships being built...

besides NCL--what other new ships that were built the last two years

have no forward observation area because this space was used for suites???

BG

That really is too bad. This really affects the folks who have inside cabins, and everyone else who likes to enjoy an indoor space while still having some great views.

I see the Pearl is having some changes to it's cabins (changes to the deck plans are posted for sailings after April 17, 2011 [http://www2.ncl.com/ship/pearl/decks/1/8#tab_detail]), but it looks like the Spinnaker Lounge is staying.

• 1 year later...

All Jewel class will loose the Spinnaker in time. At least RCCL has an observation lounge still but how long will it be before the decide to turn them into accomodations?

What they did to Gem is a good example of the slow motion robbery of cruise passengers. In 15 years I see buffet only in dining rooms.

All Jewel class will loose the Spinnaker in time. At least RCCL has an observation lounge still but how long will it be before the decide to turn them into accomodations?

What they did to Gem is a good example of the slow motion robbery of cruise passengers. In 15 years I see buffet only in dining rooms.

Why did you resurrect this old post?

Why did you resurrect this old post?

Where did you come up with the crazy idea all Jewel class ships will lose Spinnaker? Only the "Dawn" class ships have had this done to make up for not having a "Haven"

What did they do to the GEM???? Besides add Nick?And ages ago change the designations only for the cabins and suites.

Why resurrect this old thread?????

Edited by peg013

They just came out with previews of the soon to be builty Royal Princess, and it also seems to lack a forward looking lounge. Hopefully this is not an industry trend. The sweeping vistas from a forward looking lounge are part of the experience.