How soon do you start packing?

TNM

We are platinum so have done it a few times. Pack the night before.

I've seen this term a few times, what does "platinum" mean? :o

Also, what in the world is a tidy rail? :confused:

4-6 months. I pack and re-pack often. I could put it together the week of the cruise, but I enjoy the anticipation of the trip. I pack less each time we cruise, but I still enjoy the packing and planning process. My family thinks I'm batty, lol. : )

WOW 4 to 6 months! I agree about the anticipation though, we have a trip to Jamaica in March 2011 and although I won't pack until after new years (LOL), I'm already thinking of what new outfits i'd like to buy and what I want to bring, it's a group trip w/ 20 or so friends, so I like to bring fun goodies for everyone, whether it's mardi gras beads or stuff for a treasure hunt, etc..

I've seen this term a few times, what does "platinum" mean? :o

Also, what in the world is a tidy rail? :confused:

Platinum on RCCL is when you are a Crown & Anchor member and have accrued at least 5 cruise credits. You get one credit for every cruise you take (2 if your cruise is for 12 days or more etc).

A tidy rail is a hanging rail, mine is made up of metal poles that slot together, sort of like in an n shape but with feet! Not sure what you would call them in the USA (I'm from the UK ;)).

For me .. a vacation is a time to relax and actually have time to be a girl.. to plan each outfit (for the evening anyway) with the right necklace and shoes.. We cruise in October but I have been picking up stuff all summer (summer sales!!) .. as it's fun to have something new...and the stuff I wear on holiday is not my usual office clothes - so it's a treat. I start getting stuff out a few weeks before and start laying it out in our spare bedroom and then pack by the day of the week - (mixing and matching a few of the bottom pieces) - then you throw in a handful more undies, new white bra - nothing worse than seeing a woman with dingy grey straps showing under her tank top.. and one or two "extra" tops - shoes at the bottom and I am set. My problem is that DH is a night before packer kind of guy so I usually help him.. and then you are running around for last minutes things (I treat myself to a new pedicure the day before). I may sound high maintenance.. but honestly I am not in day to day life.. a vacation is a chance to spoil yourself a few times a year. This time we are bringing both DD's (14 & 22) in a quad room so I will need to scale it back...or poor hubby may find himself sleeping on the balcony for lack of space.. LOL.. Have a wondeful vacation...and pack as early as you want.. (if it makes you happy!!)

For me .. a vacation is a time to relax and actually have time to be a girl.. to plan each outfit (for the evening anyway) with the right necklace and shoes.. We cruise in October but I have been picking up stuff all summer (summer sales!!) .. as it's fun to have something new...and the stuff I wear on holiday is not my usual office clothes - so it's a treat. I start getting stuff out a few weeks before and start laying it out in our spare bedroom and then pack by the day of the week - (mixing and matching a few of the bottom pieces) - then you throw in a handful more undies, new white bra - nothing worse than seeing a woman with dingy grey straps showing under her tank top.. and one or two "extra" tops - shoes at the bottom and I am set. My problem is that DH is a night before packer kind of guy so I usually help him.. and then you are running around for last minutes things (I treat myself to a new pedicure the day before). I may sound high maintenance.. but honestly I am not in day to day life.. a vacation is a chance to spoil yourself a few times a year. This time we are bringing both DD's (14 & 22) in a quad room so I will need to scale it back...or poor hubby may find himself sleeping on the balcony for lack of space.. LOL.. Have a wondeful vacation...and pack as early as you want.. (if it makes you happy!!)

Yes it makes me happy, and you sound a lot like ME...and I have to have all MY packing done ahead of time so I can help my guy pack and organize the night before too!

I make sure that I have everything, because I don't want any last minute surprises, but I don't begin packing until the day before I leave. Why, you may ask? Because, I have a checklist, and if I start packing early, then I have to start over again just before leaving in order to make sure everything is in the proper suitcase, carryon or backpack. There is no procrastination involved, because it takes me less than 1 hour to pack, whether the trip is overnight or for a month.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

The morning before. No sooner. I make a final check the afternoon before, and the evening before, everything that needs to be charged goes on the chargers. In the final hour before leaving home, the electronics and important documents are packed in a backpack, and then I'm ready.

It's late August and DH & I cruise December 4th so I'll start packing when the days get cooler. That way I'll pack the summer clothes I want to take in suitcases and not have to dig thru the 'Summer Clothes' bins in the attic to prepare. Just wash, fold, pack. And, I pack the toiletries 2 - 3 nites before we leave.

For those whose DH's pack for themselves --- I'm (almost) jealous. On one hand I'd like to be free of planning a week of clothes for someone else BUT,on the other, knowing my husband, he'd arrive on the ship with his toothbrush, the proper # of underwear, swim trunks, one--okay, two--changes of clothes and nothing acceptable for the dining room.

As I've told him --- "This is my birthday vacation and I will NOT eat at a buffet every nite of the week." (Lovingly, of course.)

Our first cruise will be in May 2011!! I haven't started "packing" per say but when I go to the store, I pick up little things here and there. I know I'll pack too much but good thing we are flying in.... This will make me cut it down some. I will probably run off and forget my passport or something vital! But like many others have said, I'm already having fun planning and I'm MANY months out!! Enjoy! :):)

Hmmm, I'm usually up doing laundry until late the night before we leave, so real packing doesn't get done until then. However, there are some things that stay permanently packed. Things like water shoes, certain bathing suit coverups, aloe, etc don't get used for anything else.

"I have a list, mark items off with a highlighter, so I don't forget something vital."

I do the same otherwise I would definitely forget something!

About 2 weeks before I travel I get out my tidy rail and hang up all the clothes I MIGHT take. I then have a big 'trying on' session and decide what I'm taking and put back what I'm not (very little goes back into the wardrobe usually, lol). I pack straight from the rail into the suitcase a day or 2 before I travel.

The rail will be coming out probably next weekend as we're sailing on the Oasis on September 18th. Sooo excited, only 3 weeks 5 days to go and counting! :D

This is exactly what I do!!!!:D

For those whose DH's pack for themselves --- I'm (almost) jealous. On one hand I'd like to be free of planning a week of clothes for someone else BUT,on the other, knowing my husband, he'd arrive on the ship with his toothbrush, the proper # of underwear, swim trunks, one--okay, two--changes of clothes and nothing acceptable for the dining room.

Oh mine packs for himself, but I have to push him and keep reminding him because I want him to do it early...and I know this sounds anal, but I "inspect" his packing and make sure it makes sense, you know, enough underwear, swimsuits, proper dining attire...he is very into fashion and has more clothes and shoes than me, but I'm more organized as far as what we will need for what activities..when we went to cancun in June, he packed 1 pair of underwear..:eek: he decided it was way hot there and he wouldnt really need them except with his white slacks. Hmph! :rolleyes:

A tidy rail is a hanging rail, mine is made up of metal poles that slot together, sort of like in an n shape but with feet! Not sure what you would call them in the USA (I'm from the UK ;)).

I'm guessing a CLOTHES RACK.

That's my final answer. :D

I ususally start packing a couple weeks before a cruise. I am always buying new things for the next cruise...today I received three new tops for a cruise we are going on this weekend, and I am sending them all back. I didn't like any of them. I had been looking at them all summer...I wished I had ordered them sooner, but I was looking for a reason to have to have them. We just booked this last week. It is just a short three day cruise. I have been at my boyfriends since we booked it, so I haven't even got my passport here...guess I will need to go home soon. I will grab a few more things from home and re-pack with him on Thursday...so not like me, though!!! Maybe this is why I have had anxiety all day!!!

Archived