Crown Princess August 10,2010 British Isles Cruise

RMLLEL

Just got off the Crown yesterday and had a great cruise. The weather was perfect. Didn't rain at all during the day and it wasn't cold. The ship was in great shape. The staff were always on top of everything. The food was just ok. We booked mostly private tours with fellow members on our roll call. Our favorite tour was with Over The Top in Dublin. We took the Powerscourt, Wicklow Mountain, Glendalough Tour. Olwyn was a pleasure to deal with. She was very informative and always answered any questions we had right away. Dennis was our tour guide and he was very knowledgeable and made our day really special. Everyone in our group had a great time. Olwyn and Over The Top lived up to and exceeded all of our expectations and we will use them again the next time we are in the area. The Tatoo in Edinburgh was the best. We booked the seats thru Princess. Didn't want to have to think about getting back to the ship late at night. During the day we took the train to Edinburgh to see the castle and also went to see Mary King's Close. The train was easy and it only took 15 minutes to get into Edinburgh. In Invergordon we took a private tour with Ocean Links Golf. Bruce was our driver and we had a great day. He was very interesting and we enjoyed seeing Dunrobin Castle and the falconry show there is a must see. He took us to a lot of great places that we wouldn't have seen if we took a tour thru Princess. We really enjoyed this cruise, the ports we visited and all the really nice people we met.

• 7 months later...

We are going 0n May 22 on a cruise around the British Isles on the Crown Princess. If you have been on this cruise before, did you go on the Paris tour provided by the cruise line? If anyone did private tours, I would appreciate suggestions for tours on any of the stops or how you went about finding reliable tours provided by other than Princess.

I know this thread is old, but I'm hoping the OP is still around to answer some questions.

Can you tell me how you got back to the ship in Greenock from Edinburgh? Did you walk to the train or take a taxi after the Tattoo? Did you need a taxi once you got to Greenock late at night? Just trying to figure out the details, thanks!

Shogun - Did you see my questions above? I'd really prefer to book my Tattoo tickets on my own, but am worried about transportation to/from Edinburgh. I really don't want to rely on Princess' bus tour there & back, but is it safe taking the train all alone late at night?

Rob - The Tattoo isn't until August and the May 7th cruise doesn't go to Edinburgh or Glasgow (Greenock). It does a Western European itinerary.

Hi Driveslikemario

Tattoo has two time slots so I will guess you will take the early show

from the Castle to the railway station is all down hill a walk of a mile

trains run to Glasgow every 30 minutes you will need to change in Glasgow

and take a train to Greenock, walk in Greenock to port is not long but

if alone after dark you might want to take a taxi, as some of the streets

can be quite, and while safe enough no point in taking any risks.

I would not do the late show unless you took a Princess tour or a private

group tour,. I would expect as in most years your roll call will have a

number of private tours going to the tattoo.

It is a great show and worth the journey,

Its a pity Princess does not do night tenders from the Forth into Edinburgh

we did it one year 17 bus loads of us in the roughest water I have ever

seen tenders used and pitch black, great fun so long as you were young

and did not get sea sick.

Greenock to Edinburgh by taxi is not on unless at least 6 to share cost.

yours Shogun

Thanks - that does help. It has been a dream of mine to see the Tattoo and I'm hoping I can this year. My clan has worked hard recently to become an officially recognized clan and I've done a lot of work on our Scottish genealogy. This would be a highlight for me to see the show, but I'm still unsure as to whether I'll be there in August or not.

There will only be one show the day I'd be there and it starts at 9pm. That's great about the trains to Glasgow running every 30 mins. too, thanks. I guess walking to the train station in Edinburgh sounds good, but I think you're right about taking a taxi in Greenock - better safe than sorry. If I do get on this sailing, I will definitely try to go with a group from the roll call, but by then, they may already have it all booked. I can only hope & wait!

Thanks for the help! :)

Here is a link to the review I posted following our British Isles cruise last summer. Hope it helps.

Some information on private tours is included. We did stand in line to get back on the ship with some people who had done the Paris trip and they seemed to be happy with what they saw.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1264764

Here is a link to the review I posted following our British Isles cruise last summer. Hope it helps.

Some information on private tours is included. We did stand in line to get back on the ship with some people who had done the Paris trip and they seemed to be happy with what they saw.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1264764

Thank you very much for your review! I thoroughly enjoyed it! I've bookmarked it so I can re-read it again later. You had really good information about the private tour companies. I enjoy hearing the negative as well as the positive - sure helps when it's time to book those! Thanks again for letting me live through your adventure! :)

Hi drivelikesmario

On the Royal Mile In Edinburgh just down from the castle there is a family history shop.

The national records are also in Edinburgh if you have time

yours Shogun

Oh! That sounds wonderful! I still have a few questions to get answers to about my family. I will definitely set aside time for that - maybe take an earlier train into Edinburgh and do that before the Tattoo. Thanks again! :)

Archived