coffee-is it any better?

vintagebabe

I've brought my coffee maker on 10 cruises. I think I'm going to try to do so again. I really like a good cup as soon as we wake up without having to get dressed and walk anywhere or wait for it to come.

I have never created a fire hazard because I always unplug. I also bring small plastic bags to throw the used filters and grounds away so I don't make a mess.

Well, it's good to know that even though you are going against a fire safety rule that AZ has set forth..

you are being cognizant about unplugging the coffee pot.

Will you be packing an iron too?

After all, who enjoys walking to deck 7 just to press a garment item.

Okay, guess I have to leave my trusty soldering iron at home, along with the microwave:eek:. Anyway, since I am packing the onions for the martinis anyway, if requested, can we get a tea pot and hot water, and I will bring the loose tea? At least for the cabin:confused:? Tea really doesn't weigh a lot, is easily packed, and if it makes the trip just a tad nicer, any thoughts:rolleyes:?

Don't ask, I'm in a smiley mode...

Good Morning All!

Just back from a delicious vacay in Jersey Shore where I spent the entire week with my adorable grandson (8 months old) and my two daughters and theire DH's!

I carry my loose tea (don't get excited, only my tea is loose :eek:) and request a pot of hot water every evening in my stateroom. I dont feel the need to boil anything in my cabin as I fully boycott anything resembling cooking for my vacation. The staff at AZ always brings my water hot and in a fresh pot that doesn't smell like coffee (G-D Forbid!). They also make sure it is there at the exact same time very night. Even though I dont request it, a cookie or sweet always accompanies!!! :)

With regards to the coffee - If you bring a Starbucks traveling French Press, you get the water delivered and voila - coffee in an instant! I buy some coffee and tea locally for variety. If you don't feel like making the trip to the

hot water dispenser, just ask for room service to deliver the water - they also bring fresh cream sugar etc. If you pack a little electric frother (resembles a mini mixer) you can make excellent cappucinno or latte if you also order hot milk.

I'm NOT Martha but it's a GOOD thing not to create a fire hazard on board a sailing vessel!!! :o

Okay, guess I have to leave my trusty soldering iron at home, along with the microwave:eek:. Anyway, since I am packing the onions for the martinis anyway, if requested, can we get a tea pot and hot water, and I will bring the loose tea? At least for the cabin:confused:? Tea really doesn't weigh a lot, is easily packed, and if it makes the trip just a tad nicer, any thoughts:rolleyes:?

Don't ask, I'm in a smiley mode...

Getting a tea pot filled with hot water is no problem

In fact it's probably one of their top requests each morning

and afternoon from room service. Room Service will

also deliver any sweeteners, cream, milk along with treats

if you wish.

Loose tea is no problem either in your cabin or outside

of it.

However, will it be labeled package for when you are traveling?

Not that it has to be, but in this day in age I would recommend that it is.

"With regards to the coffee - If you bring a Starbucks traveling French Press, you get the water delivered and voila - coffee in an instant!"

Okay, that's it. I'm drawing the line. If they have decent coffee/espresso/cappuchino at Mosaic, I am not bringing coffee and a French Press. But the tea will get packed. Thanks all of you for the tip.

David

It seems like our American friends are as obsessive about good coffee as we Brits are about good tea! :)

I just hope they have Earl Grey tea onboard - otherwise I will be very upset. :(

On second thoughts - I am bringing my Earl Grey tea with me. I can't start the day without at least two cups of it!

Well, I'm fairly certain the TVs in every room are just as much a fire hazard as a simple coffee maker. People get all worked up over stupid stuff. I don't feel the need to be waited on hand and foot by room service, and coffee isn't served at the hour I prefer to wake, so I'll just make my own. Then I'll build a bonfire and cozy up to it while drinking my favorite organic brew!

Well, I'm fairly certain the TVs in every room are just as much a fire hazard as a simple coffee maker. People get all worked up over stupid stuff. I don't feel the need to be waited on hand and foot by room service, and coffee isn't served at the hour I prefer to wake, so I'll just make my own. Then I'll build a bonfire and cozy up to it while drinking my favorite organic brew!

That's fine and when I smell coffee brewing in your cabin I will report you

because I, just like the Captain take fire safety onboard very seriously and would never put it in the category of stupid stuff, as you call it

I'm going to assume you weren't onboard with us for the Star Princess fire were you?

I suggest you read this from the Editors at Cruise Critic

http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=252

This is an excellent article covering many cruise ship fires

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/2010/03/articles/fires-1/ten-years-of-cruise-ship-fires-has-the-cruise-industry-learned-anything/

and watch this to see just a small part of the Star Princess blaze

Muster Stations..

They still allow cigarettes, but not coffee pots that should tell you something.

When I was on Azamara Journey in Dec 2009 on a Transatlantic crossing, we had an electrical fire in the middle of the Atlantic. You could smell the "fried wiring" and it was very scary. They called bravo, bravo, bravo (I think that was the call - it meant nothing to me at the time) and you knew something serious was going on.

Eventually the Captain came on and explained there had been fire on deck 7 in an electrical panel and the crew had sucessfully put it out. I don't know what would have happened if they had not gotten it out - with us in the middle of the ocean, miles away from any land mass. We were very grateful that they were able to put it out. There was damage - not everything we knew about, but I do know it took out the thallo pool for the essentially the rest of the cruise.

It was very scary. If you go through any kind of fire onboard, it gives you a healthy respect for all the precautions the cruise line takes.

hi bella 36, just to let you know there is earl gray tea on board in the mosaic cafe and the windows,and i would presume anywhere there is a cuppa available,and also from roomservice. on board the quest you only need to ask and they will do thier best to provide it for you. the staff are fantastic. leonjo

We tried Raffles afternoon tea in Singapore but it could not beat the tea in the Shangrila - I did a tour or the Far East & Australia after my divorce, talk about different teas - never knew there were so many. I am a NHS nurse it was the trip of a lifeltime.

Since the "better brew" is now complimentary on Azamara, I don't believe that it is a cash cow for them. They seem to be trying to find a way to provide better coffee outside of Cova and on each of our cruises there has been an improvement. They still haven't found the perfect solution but the new machines that were out on the outside deck of Discoveries were definitely a step in the right direction IMHO!

I am always happy to have coffee delivered to my stateroom when I wake up. I do not employ the services of a butler at home so when I cruise it is at the pleasure of "madam" that I awake and enjoy a brew on my balcony. The coffee may not be of the quality that I enjoyed in either Italy (in Trastevere at the local "illy" shop down the street from my wonderful B&B) or in the rainforest canopy in Costa Rica in my room from a most wonderful coffee maker and a package of ground organic jungle blend from the rainforest!!!

I once had a magical Cuisinart coffee maker that produced the most stunning results on a consistant basis from even mediocre beans. Everyone raved about my coffee and trust me - I did NOTHING except put it in that machine and used bottled reverse osmosis water. The day it died ..... I remember thinking that I should write a song...... "The day the coffee died" .... but then I remembered that it has already been done for another subject on "American Pie" :o so I went back to bed and pondered the "good old days" of perfect coffee .... I have since bought a new coffee maker or two and even though it was the same brand - it was NEVER as good. Perhaps it reflected the quality of my life at the time. :rolleyes:

Thus the moral of my story - the perfect cup of java is mostly an elusive mythical beast that resides deep within the confines of one's mind. It conjures up memories of the wonderful times and is flavoured by our experiences that are indelibly linked to it.

In these days of extreme baggage restrictions, it is not possible to pack everything including the kitchen sink. We are not sailing the seas with steamer trunks and our pets as we did in days gone by. I choose to enjoy the cup that is delivered to me on my vacation by people whose income is derived by their choice of profession and whose sole desire is to please me ..... their valued customer. I travel lightly and well and if there is something that I love so much that I am willing to risk my and others' lives and limbs to get it .... I will stay home.

I like my coffee but I would prefer my children didn't have to bear the embarrasment of seeing me portrayed on some cheesy made-for-tv as the woman who created a modern day "Titanic" saga! Besides - I shudder to think who would play me. Suffice it to say, it would NOT be Angelina Jolie!

It would not behoove any of us to even jokingly refer to the end result of the coffee pot story to be "I like my coffee....CRISP!!" :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I know it is de rigeur to complain about coffee but I must say that my experience was very different. I was a confirmed non-coffee drinker, preferring tea. On a Journey cruise earlier this year, I would make coffee each morning for my wife from the machine on the rear deck of the buffet. It smelled so good that one day I tried a small cup and instantly became a convert. Six or more months later I regard myself as a coffee snob -- I like varieties such as Sumatra, e.g. -- and disdain such plebeian brands a Folgers and Maxwell House. And I owe it all to Azamara.

I know it is de rigeur to complain about coffee but I must say that my experience was very different. I was a confirmed non-coffee drinker, preferring tea. On a Journey cruise earlier this year, I would make coffee each morning for my wife from the machine on the rear deck of the buffet. It smelled so good that one day I tried a small cup and instantly became a convert. Six or more months later I regard myself as a coffee snob -- I like varieties such as Sumatra, e.g. -- and disdain such plebeian brands a Folgers and Maxwell House. And I owe it all to Azamara.

Sorry ARK - you are NOT allowed to sail on AZ ANYMORE!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Imagine that ...... thinking that coffee ONBOARD is good!! SHAME ON YOU!!!! :p

I never complain about anything that I dont have to make for myself. I actually dont even remember what the coffee was like on board ..... so take my solution to the coffee issue.......

DRINK LOTS OF FREE WINE!!!!!!!!

LOL

Happy Sailings, Always!

Now the free wine is appealling - wonder if they do any champagne cocktails:)

They have wonderful champagne martini's......but here is my solution for morning coffee....

Sparkling wine or champagne...cava is great.....splash orange juice, splash pomegranate juice, blackberry liqueur.......

MMMMMM

Archived