Birth Certificate not good enough?!

mferris77

DL & BC's are good if all you ever plan on doing is cruising the Caribbean. I got a passport long before my 1st cruise and didn't inquire about if I needed one or not. I am planning an upcoming Med cruise out of Barcelona....No problem I have a passport! If you have some friends that say instead of a cruise let's go to Japan or Germany or Paris etc.......No problem..... I have a passport! I think it was a good 10 year investment!

Just remember, If you are stuck or injured in a foreign port, you will NOT be able to FLY back to the U.S. without a passport. So while it may not be necessary for boarding (yet) it might be good to have anyway. (And the Passport cards--not valid for Air travel outside U.S.)

Actually this is incorrect. You CAN get back home...it might take a few days (you better have extra cash for hotels and food) but with the help of the US State Dept or Embassy and you might get "a talking too" but a citizen of the US can come home with out a passport. Now, its a darn good idea to have one, but if not there is a way to come home.

I'll go you one better than that lol. I've been married twice, so when I cruise I take my certified birth certificate, my first marriage license, my divorce decree and my new marriage license. And of course, my drivers license :). It's overkill, but it makes me feel better and the person at the counter on both cruises laughed when I pulled out my folder 'o identification.

You are going through all that just because you do not want to spend the money for a passport. Amazing!!

DON

I've seen VitalChek, but a google search made me fairly suspicious of their ethics. Lots of scam warnings popup. Plus, they can't get you a certified copy, only a regular copy from what I can see. That would be the same as I've got now I guess. Though I do agree, if a place was reputable I'd pay for the service for the peace of mind.

Many states outsource their internet service for vital documents through Vitalchek. Also, it's run by Lexis-Nexis, which is a highly, highly reputable organization used for legal research. Trust me, Lexis-Nexis is no scam and neither is VitalChek. They are the official service provider for over 400 government agencies. I don't know where you're picking up this scam stuff, but I suspect you're reading a messageboard for malcontents.

From what I can tell about Missouri, you or a family member can order. Don't know if you can authorize a family member to pick it up at the agency/hall of records and Fedex it out to you.

We did a family New Years cruise on the Conquest on 08/09. Everyone had passports including 2 yr old and 7 yr old. In Cozumel as we were going thru security on the dock we were asked for photo id plus S&S card. The little ones were asked for S&S card and pasports, because they did not have photo id's due to age. That was the only port we were ask for this.

Three words:

Get. A. Passport.

Unlike a BC or a marriage license or an official copy of this or that, I guarantee that you will not forget where your passport is. And you won't have to rely on the State Freakin' Department to help you get back into the country in an emergency. And not getting a passport just because of the expense is really "penny wise, pound foolish" especially if you intend to leave the country more than once in the next 10 years, or on any trip involving an airplane, or any cruise that's not closed loop (forget that Seattle to Whittier/Seward cruise, it's not closed loop; leaving from Vancouver? sorry, you'll need a passport).

You are going through all that just because you do not want to spend the money for a passport. Amazing!!

DON

Well, it's not just that. Mainly, passports are something that I only think about when I have a cruise booked. And I mostly book cruises so close to departure that I'm not comfortable sending away my birth certificate in case it all doesn't come back in time. Although, as I type this it occurs to me that I could have ordered a second birth certificate...but hindsight is 20/20. Add in the aggravation of dealing with anyone at my local post office and it's a recipe for...indifference.

Anyway, I'm just saying that there are several (possibly even many) reasons why someone might cruise without a passport. And since it is still legally possible to do so.... well, I just don't think it's that big of a deal to stick a folder with a couple of sheets of paper into my carryon bag.

But anyway, I just posted my story because I thought someone might get a chuckle out of it. I'm saying it's how I've done things. Not that it's the only way or even the right way. Just *a* way. ;)

Cruise is this Sunday - closed loop Long Beach to Mex Riv.

I've seen VitalChek, but a google search made me fairly suspicious of their ethics. Lots of scam warnings popup. Plus, they can't get you a certified copy, only a regular copy from what I can see. That would be the same as I've got now I guess. Though I do agree, if a place was reputable I'd pay for the service for the peace of mind.

I know! Actually my wife got hers quickly. She was able to go to the records department locally. Mine is a bit trickier since I'm far away from my birth state.

Vitalchek is what you would have to use with some states if you do it online. It's a valid service, and the birth certificate is a certified copy, issued by your state. The two states I had to get certificates from had links to vitalchek on their websites.

I just don't understand why so many people still don't want to get passports. The excuse of "I won't use it very often" is silly - they last ten years, and you don't know right now how often you'll use it. I'm 55 and have had a passport for over forty years. It's no big deal.
Actually it is a very valid reason for not getting a PP, it might seem to be silly for you, but for others (myself included) it is a real issue! I don't like the giving the government money I don't haver to. Until it is required for me to have a PP for a cruise, or I decide to take a trip that requires me to have a PP i will pass on spending the money!

To add a comment, when I applied for my passport about 6 years ago, I was told by the government agency that my "so called" birth certificate was not official. It was actually a birth announcement that the hospitals gave out. I was shocked and surprised as I had used this my entire life for ID (I'm 45). I found the hospital on the internet and ordered my official document. So perhaps this was the case here. The BC were not official ones. This seems to be more common than people realize. I feel bad for this family getting turned away from their cruise.

Hey! This is my wife's and my story exactly! What we had were hospital issued and were not acceptable for what we wanted! Mine was good enough to enlist in the U.S. Navy, get drivers licenses in many states, and buy homes, land, etc. It even has an official raised seal issued by Harris Hospital, Tarrant County TX.

If we had not opted to go ahead and get our PP and PP Cards, we could have been in the very same predicament!

I miss the days when my little green card sufficed to let me into any country in the free world.

all issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia (no raised seal).

Look closely and feel the paper. We just ordered on from VA for my wife. Since 1963 she has been using a state issued "credit card" looking BC. It worked for everything up until we applied for our PP's and PP Cards. It took forever to get to us too. I didn't see a raised seal, so I was livid when it finally came in. The postmaster showed me where to look for the state seal. It is also watermarked, I believe.

I'm sure there is some profit, but it's hardly a "$2 booklet of papers". They are fitted with electronics now, specifically RFID chips.

The high frequency, extended-range RFID tags are dirt cheap. You can get them for marking livestock (horses) and they can be read from as far away and 15 feet. They cost about $1.85. I think that they are overpriced. THe cost os going up again too.

Kevin, I think you mentioned earlier that yours looks "really old" and therefore you think it may not be certified. My original bc (as in the very first one my parents received after my birth) looks very old as well :o, yet it is indeed an official certified copy.

Boom-shaka laka!!!! I just checked it out, and when you look at the bottom, there's a really old raised seal on it. IM ON THE BOAT!!!!!!!! :cool:

Actually it is a very valid reason for not getting a PP, it might seem to be silly for you, but for others (myself included) it is a real issue! I don't like the giving the government money I don't haver to. Until it is required for me to have a PP for a cruise, or I decide to take a trip that requires me to have a PP i will pass on spending the money!

Bravo :D:D My thoughts exactly. I will not be paying the gov't around 600 for a document that on a closed loop cruise works the same as documents I already have for all of us. If the rules were to change, I would either pay the "tax" or not cruise. As other said, I won't be stuck in a foreign country if something were to happen.

Boom-shaka laka!!!! I just checked it out, and when you look at the bottom, there's a really old raised seal on it. IM ON THE BOAT!!!!!!!! :cool:

I was pleasantly surprised a few years back to discover that both my husband and I had certified copies from our parents from when we were born. The look a bit worn compared to the "new" ones the boys have - but we are always on the boat! Thanks Mom and Dad -

Three words:

Get. A. Passport.

Unlike a BC or a marriage license or an official copy of this or that, I guarantee that you will not forget where your passport is. And you won't have to rely on the State Freakin' Department to help you get back into the country in an emergency. And not getting a passport just because of the expense is really "penny wise, pound foolish" especially if you intend to leave the country more than once in the next 10 years, or on any trip involving an airplane, or any cruise that's not closed loop (forget that Seattle to Whittier/Seward cruise, it's not closed loop; leaving from Vancouver? sorry, you'll need a passport).

What is funny is that in the 6 years I have been on this board I have heard many stories from people who forgot where there passport are. I have heard many people say that they can not find there birth certs also. Having a passport is no guarantee that one will remember where is at.

Just for the record I do not have a PP and I can have my birth certificate in my hand in about 30 seconds, It is locked in a fire proof safe with other papers.

Okay so we are up to $4 maybe even $5 for the little booklet that the cover and paper likely comes from China for less then that. Add to it a person in India punching a computer button a few times to find out your lifelong personal history in 10 seconds, 20 if you got a criminal background. Do you really think there are people in Washington doing this? NOT! The postal worker taking your information doesn't get paid extra for each one they do. Remember they are going broke. Cost of postage to send it to and from is probably the most expensive part to gettting a passport and since it is goverment business it's free anyway and the taxpayer foots the bill on that stuff.

Still a long way from a $100 for one passport. I don't doubt there is another chip in there that can locate your passport so the government can tell at any time where you are at.

So if you loose one just call them to locate it for you.

Sounds like the government is making a heafty profit on each one no matter how you slice it. It's no worse then any other gov. red tape.

YAY!!! Have a great time - you deserve it! :D

What is funny is that in the 6 years I have been on this board I have heard many stories from people who forgot where there passport are. I have heard many people say that they can not find there birth certs also. Having a passport is no guarantee that one will remember where is at.

Just for the record I do not have a PP and I can have my birth certificate in my hand in about 30 seconds, It is locked in a fire proof safe with other papers.

Now THAT'S funny! But of course, if a person is the kind who would lose their passport, what are the odds that they'll be able to find ther BC?

Okay so we are up to $4 maybe even $5 for the little booklet that the cover and paper likely comes from China for less then that. Add to it a person in India punching a computer button a few times to find out your lifelong personal history in 10 seconds, 20 if you got a criminal background. Do you really think there are people in Washington doing this? NOT! The postal worker taking your information doesn't get paid extra for each one they do. Remember they are going broke. Cost of postage to send it to and from is probably the most expensive part to gettting a passport and since it is goverment business it's free anyway and the taxpayer foots the bill on that stuff.

Still a long way from a $100 for one passport. I don't doubt there is another chip in there that can locate your passport so the government can tell at any time where you are at.

So if you loose one just call them to locate it for you.

Sounds like the government is making a heafty profit on each one no matter how you slice it. It's no worse then any other gov. red tape.

Gotta say, I don't understand the attitude that somehow a person who doesn't get a passport is a maverick who's sticking it to "the man." Seems to be a peculiarly American attitude. as is the neurosis in your post. Every government in the world charges for passports - you would probably be no happier if they still cost $80 or $60 or whatever they cost way back when. And it would be against the law for the State Department to outsource the processing of passports to another country. But yeah, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching... :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Gotta say, I don't understand the attitude that somehow a person who doesn't get a passport is a maverick who's sticking it to "the man." Seems to be a peculiarly American attitude. as is the neurosis in your post. Every government in the world charges for passports - you would probably be no happier if they still cost $80 or $60 or whatever they cost way back when. And it would be against the law for the State Department to outsource the processing of passports to another country. But yeah, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't watching... :confused::eek::rolleyes:

Are you sure about this?? We are talking about the U.S. Government here:eek:

"The U.S. government prioritizes cost savings over national security by outsourcing the manufacturing of electronic passports to overseas companies, including one in southeastern Asia that has been infiltrated by communist espionage.

An alarming investigative series published by a Washington newspaper reveals how the government compromises the crown jewel of American border security—state-of-the-art passports—to, not only save money, but also make a profit."

It still amazes me that the Government Printing Office is not allowed to make a profit by law but it seems thats ignored also.

Vinnie

I would be willing to bet that some of the 'birth certificates' were the fancy souvenir ones that the hospital gives you. EM
This would be my guess also. Many people mistake the "keepsake" birth certificate for the real one because it has the footprints they think that its official.

Dear OP,

I was just answering the HR question asked by the previous passenger since I processed new hires for my last job.

And you are right it about deciding what is important to you. If I am in a country and have an emergency, I will want to get back home as quickly as possible without any added stress, so it was important to me to have a passport. A few hundred dollars is not worth it to ME. But that is me.

Sorry, my experience at the airport and when we have cruised is that the passport line moves faster. Maybe since my airport has the scanner thingys, we didn't have to even show our DL. When we flew to San Juan even though it is supposed to be a US protectorate, we were required to have a PP-couldn't check in online had to show up with passport.

But I am like the others on here....I can put my hands on a certified copy of my BC, marriage license and Passport as well as DHs. They are all in my safe along with a copy of our wills. Traveling anywhere you never know.

When I got a certified copy of DHs-he lost his wallet, so in order to get a new DL he had to have a certified copy of his BC, I realized that I had been born in the middle of the night and he had been born in the evening 5:23 p.m. to be exact.

I thought it was strange since I thought incorrectly, that most babies were born at night. He looked at me and said he knew when to come since he was born just in time for dinner.

Me too...so the morning of my last cruise I open my closet to get said "lock box" and it WASN'T THERE!!! OMG!!!! :eek:

The search began...and ended with me finding it behind a file box under my desk. WHEW...my cruisemate was already at the door and none to happy.

Actually this is incorrect. You CAN get back home...it might take a few days (you better have extra cash for hotels and food) but with the help of the US State Dept or Embassy and you might get "a talking too" but a citizen of the US can come home with out a passport. Now, its a darn good idea to have one, but if not there is a way to come home.

From the few reports on this board from people who have had to go through this, that is only partially correct. All the waiting, hassle, and expense they go through results in them coming home with a new passport. They don't have a passport, they have an emergency, they do get to come home, but they have to get the passport to do so.

The guy with the fight attendant wife who reported a couple of instances of people being allowed on by authorities without one admits he knows no details - so I wouldn't count on that being the rule, but rather the exception.

Dear OP,

I was just answering the HR question asked by the previous passenger since I processed new hires for my last job.

And you are right it about deciding what is important to you. If I am in a country and have an emergency, I will want to get back home as quickly as possible without any added stress, so it was important to me to have a passport. A few hundred dollars is not worth it to ME. But that is me.

Sorry, my experience at the airport and when we have cruised is that the passport line moves faster. Maybe since my airport has the scanner thingys, we didn't have to even show our DL. When we flew to San Juan even though it is supposed to be a US protectorate, we were required to have a PP-couldn't check in online had to show up with passport.

But I am like the others on here....I can put my hands on a certified copy of my BC, marriage license and Passport as well as DHs. They are all in my safe along with a copy of our wills. Traveling anywhere you never know.

When I got a certified copy of DHs-he lost his wallet, so in order to get a new DL he had to have a certified copy of his BC, I realized that I had been born in the middle of the night and he had been born in the evening 5:23 p.m. to be exact.

I thought it was strange since I thought incorrectly, that most babies were born at night. He looked at me and said he knew when to come since he was born just in time for dinner.

Confused here!! Flying to San Juan is no different than flying to Florida and a passport is not required. All of the ships I have sailed at most have two lines embarking one if if filled out the Funpass and one if you have not and disembarking one for U.S. citizens and one for non U.S. citizens.

I have never seen a passport line and a non passport line.

Archived