Caribe or Aloha handicap

Kineticoh20

Unless you actually need the handicapped cabin, I would go for the Caribe Deck. First of all, there are limited handicapped cabins onboard for those that truely need them (I can't believe your travel agent offered this to you if you are not in need of an accessible cabin), and secondly..........I would not want a handicapped cabin if I didn't need one. They have a roll in shower to accomodate wheelchairs that can flood the entire bathroom area when you use them (not a pretty site whatsoever).

Unless you actually need the handicapped cabin, I would go for the Caribe Deck. First of all, there are limited handicapped cabins onboard for those that truely need them (I can't believe your travel agent offered this to you if you are not in need of an accessible cabin), and secondly..........I would not want a handicapped cabin if I didn't need one. They have a roll in shower to accomodate wheelchairs that can flood the entire bathroom area when you use them (not a pretty site whatsoever).

Thank you, Toto. Those of us who DO need them, unpretty bathroom or not, are grateful for those who feel as you do. Means I get to cruise at least once a year, usually.

Unless you actually need the handicapped cabin, I would go for the Caribe Deck. First of all, there are limited handicapped cabins onboard for those that truely need them (I can't believe your travel agent offered this to you if you are not in need of an accessible cabin), and secondly..........I would not want a handicapped cabin if I didn't need one.

OP did not say when the cruise is. If it is close to sailing time and the HC cabin is still available, then there is probably not a person who needs that type of cabin wanting it for this cruise.

If it is further out in time before the cruise, then it definitely should not be taken unless needed.

We usually get a Caribe cabin due to the balcony. Our agent has offered us a Aloha handicap. Is the Aloha cabin worth it?

I assume you are able bodied?

This depends when your cruise goes out. If your cruise goes out in 6 weeks or less, you can book the handicapped cabin as no one handicapped needed it. If you are before 6 weeks you should really leave the handicapped cabins for those who are in wheelchairs and need these cabins to be able to cruise.

Some wouldn't feel comfortable in a handicapped cabin under any circumstances.

This depends when your cruise goes out. If your cruise goes out in 6 weeks or less, you can book the handicapped cabin as no one handicapped needed it. If you are before 6 weeks you should really leave the handicapped cabins for those who are in wheelchairs and need these cabins to be able to cruise.

Some wouldn't feel comfortable in a handicapped cabin under any circumstances.

Changed yo D734:D

HC people can't book a cruise less then 6 weeks before a cruise????

Where are you seeing this policy?

HC people can't book a cruise less then 6 weeks before a cruise????

Where are you seeing this policy?

We can, it's just that there are very rarely accessible cabins available at that point in time. If you can't use anything but accessible, you can't book. Why most of us book 12-18 months in advance, or just don't go on that particular itinerary. Of course, if there was a cabin available, I would book last minute if I could.

I wouldn't be going this year at all if NCL hadn't put in 26 new suites on Star. I was booked on Golden for next week, but, when I became pretty much totally wheelchair bound for distance walking, there were no HC left, so I had to cancel. So, in that case, I was lucky and got one much later than I normally would have been able.

We can, it's just that there are very rarely accessible cabins available at that point in time. If you can't use anything but accessible, you can't book. Why most of us book 12-18 months in advance, or just don't go on that particular itinerary. Of course, if there was a cabin available, I would book last minute if I could.

I wouldn't be going this year at all if NCL hadn't put in 26 new suites on Star. I was booked on Golden for next week, but, when I became pretty much totally wheelchair bound for distance walking, there were no HC left, so I had to cancel. So, in that case, I was lucky and got one much later than I normally would have been able.

Thanks, it just sounded like a disabled person was forbidden to book a HC cabin within 6 weeks of the cruise.

I also suspect 6 weeks is probably around when the cruise lines start releasing any cabins held for specific groups/purposes, like HC (although I am sure the timeframe varies by ship/itinerary)

Thanks, it just sounded like a disabled person was forbidden to book a HC cabin within 6 weeks of the cruise.

...Some wouldn't feel comfortable in a handicapped cabin under any circumstances.

When we were assigned a Handicapped cabin we were initially most uncomfortable with the booking for fear of depriving someone in need of the unit. But when all is said and done, isn't it the responsibility of the cruise line to know what is needed and what is available when they allocate space. We had no control over that information and so just accepted the additional space, comfort and larger balcony. We would never request this space but would accept it readily if offered.

I would be extremely uncomfortable booking a HC cabin unless it was 75 hours before sailing :eek:! Having grown up with a family member in a wheelchair, I'm very concerned that these cabins are offered by TA's as if they're "regular" cabins!

From looking at the OP's cruise list, it seems that her TA offered them an HC cabin for 2011!

OP, I'm so glad you took the Dolphin deck cabin instead :). Have a wonderful cruise!

When we were assigned a Handicapped cabin we were initially most uncomfortable with the booking for fear of depriving someone in need of the unit. But when all is said and done, isn't it the responsibility of the cruise line to know what is needed and what is available when they allocate space. We had no control over that information and so just accepted the additional space, comfort and larger balcony. We would never request this space but would accept it readily if offered.

Yes, it should be the responsibility of the cruise line to account for their Handicapped cabins. However, the problem is they don't.

On Princess for example they let anyone book HC cabins whether you are handicapped or not and require no proof of need whatsoever. Princess doesn't even have a handicapped or special needs department. Princess lets their reservation agents handle the booking of HC cabins. These agents are usually acknowledgeable, low paid, entry level positions and they haven't seen a cruise ship never mind been on one. This is why Princess agents will often offer HC cabins to AB clients, in ignorance. It's just another cabin to them.

Sometimes Travel agents like to offer their AB clients HC cabins as a perk. Which I suspect is what happened in this case since the cruise doesn't go out until 2011. When there are only around 20 HC cabins on each cruise ship and handicapped cruisers have to share them with able bodied it really ruins the chances of handicapped cruisers being able to cruise. Handicapped cruisers can not use regular cabins, so if there is no handicapped cabin available it means no cruise to us.

Ideally, Cruise lines should hold HC cabins in restricted inventory and not let anyone book them except those who need them. If any HC cabins are unsold at around FP time or around 6 weeks prior to sailing they can be offered to anyone and everyone or be assigned to guarantees.

Since Princess doesn't really regulate their handicapped cabins handicapped cruisers depend on the honor system.

I would like to thank the OP for not accepting the handicapped cabin and wish you a wonderful cruise. :D

Yes, it should be the responsibility of the cruise line to account for their Handicapped cabins. However, the problem is they don't.

On Princess for example they let anyone book HC cabins whether you are handicapped or not and require no proof of need whatsoever.

USA Federal law prohibits a business from asking a person if they have a handicap, so if a passenger requests a handicapped cabin, Princess could be fined for asking "Do you really need it?"

USA Federal law prohibits a business from asking a person if they have a handicap, so if a passenger requests a handicapped cabin, Princess could be fined for asking "Do you really need it?"

I believe that can be asked. Hopefully not so unprofessionally and in those exact words. ;)

They just can not ask the nature of your disability. They can ask what special needs you require. Ask if you are bringing a cane, walker, scooter, wheelchair, oxygen? Ask the measurements of wheelchair, scooter or walker? Ask if you need a roll in shower, a seat in the shower, grab bars in the shower, a raised toilet seat. After asking some of these questions you can find out the answer to "Do you really need it?"

Perhaps there is someone more trained on the ADA than I. I am definitely not a lawyer. :D

Princess most definitely has a "Special Needs" department. As a matter of fact we cruise with a major TA and not everyone within this company is allowed to book for handicapped travelers. Since we've booked about 20 cruises with them and with the same TA there are no further questions asked but in the beginning we were asked many questions and had to fill-out a special form that was sent to us via email and we had to then fax it to the Special Needs Dept.

We request the same Handicapped Cabin on Emerald Deck. Sometimes, even when we book months and months in advance our favorite cabin is gone. Booking early is truly the secret.

And, the showers in the HC Cabins are awful. The entire floor gets wet, you have to use many towels to get it dry. I wish they'd put in walls with a door that opened to the shower area.

But, without the pull-bars in the bathroom and the extra room in the cabin cruising and just traveling in general can be very difficult.

...Since Princess doesn't really regulate their handicapped cabins handicapped cruisers depend on the honor system.

My question is, what should Princess do with any and all unbooked HC cabins? Perhaps a better solution would be that any HC offered to those without need come with the proviso that should a need arise for the cabin, the line can request that the passenger accept an alternate accommodation equal to the original booking. That should alleviate both the stated requirement for very early bookings and any discomfort in needlessly occupying a HC cabin that would have gone empty otherwise.

My husband requires a wheelchair so we always book HC cabins. We are booking for Oct of 2011 and found only 1 HC available. HC users know they need to book WELL in advance.

We always ask for extra towels, roll them up long ways and surround the shower! Hate to add to the laundry problem - but it keeps the water in place. Sometimes when the ship is really rolling - the water can leak out the door and onto the cabin carpet! what a mess.

We also have our fav. HC cabin and always try to get the same one.

just my 2 cents! :D

We just returned from the Crown and were upgraded from an obstructed OV to a handcapped cabin on Baja less than a week before sailing. There was a drain around the shower and in front of the door and there was never any water on the floor. While we would never book a HC, it was a great room and it'll be hard to go back to the regular size cabins.

_MG_6565_ts.jpg.1307cbc72bec8dd8b81aa0a28a9ec4f2.jpg

Archived