Walking Around Style

Mysteryreader

Bless you! Cannot believe we are having the discussion about white athletic shoes again. Let's all just worry about our own foot comfort and forget the fashion police. If standing around looking glam is their thing, so be it. To quote a favorite saying from Laugh-in: "Very interesting -- but stupid! :D:D:D

Well that also could go the other way...If wearing big white running shoes is your thing, so be it..."very interesting, but butt ugly."

I live in NYC and can spot a tourist miles away, and it has nothing to do with shoes. Just wear something that you know will allow you to really enjoy your vacation and get the most out of it. Be a tourist and soak it all in! The fact that you even ask this tells us all that you're a pulled-together gal, so don't worry about it.

I totally agree! My husband and I went on NYC vaca last year and as hard as I tried NOT to look like a tourist, no running shoes, no backpack, no camara slung around my neck....they STILL spotted me! So..conclusion, have fun, be comfortable, soak in the experience!

Bless you! Cannot believe we are having the discussion about white athletic shoes again. Let's all just worry about our own foot comfort and forget the fashion police. If standing around looking glam is their thing, so be it. To quote a favorite saying from Laugh-in: "Very interesting -- but stupid! :D:D:D

But it's the fashion board:D If we can't be silly about fashion here, where can we be?

Why are folks here stereotyping tennis shoes as white??? I have probably 10 pairs of athletic shoes, none are white. I have grey, tan, browns, silver, purple, but no white. As I'm sitting here, I'm looking down at my grey and silver (with just a hit of light blue) Sketchers.

But, this is from a person who didn't own a pair of "dress pants" until 2 weeks ago, when I bought a pair of black pants at The Gap. And, I'm on the downhill side of 50... I guess if I lived somewhere else, my wardrobe might be different. But, here, it's jeans and tennies for all. The well-to-do ladies here wear them, too. They just pay $250 for the jeans and $200 for the tennies :-)

I own many pairs of jeans, none of which go on cruises with me, because they weigh too much. I am the one who has to lift her suitcase off of the baggage carousel at the airport. Some of my jeans, however, do not even look like jeans. If I were stronger, I would bring them.

I also own many pairs of athletic shoes (tennies) in several colors, one white, two black, red, blue print, brown, etc.. One or two of these occasionally make a cruise with me, as they are extremely comfortable for walking the deck and for walking in port.

For very serious walking (not hiking) I prefer oxfords, with wicking wool blend socks.

For casual wear on board ship and in ports without much walking, I prefer shoes similar to those posted above - sandals for warm weather and closed toes for cooler weather.

Fashion? I do not care at all about shoe fashion, as I am old and have many things wrong with my feet, knees and back. What would the fashion police do to me? Keep me from enjoying my trip? I don't think so.

Well, most of us here know what it means when a person says "bless you" like this ;), so right back at ya!

If you go to any other board here on CC, you will find subjects beaten to death. White athletic shoes once in a while are discussed here, it's a fashion (or in this case, non-fashion) discussion.

I'm sure you have opinions about what other people are wearing, even if a person is dressed to the nines and you think it's stupid...that is you being "fashion police". It goes both ways.

I will agree with you that I worry more about what I am wearing more than the next person. But it would be such a nicer looking world if more people even made a little bit of effort rather than what they presume to be comfortable. As shown above, there are alternatives to comfortable shoes, I only wish they came in my size.

These shoes are cute, are they sketchers? I'm trying to move away from wearing my tennis shoes all the time since I have to wear them at work, and it looks like these would work with a lot of different styles.

I am not a tennies person in general. I think I have one, maybe two pair. But I am into comfy footwear. I would be more likely to wear something like these:

shoes_iaec1167493.jpg

shoes_iaec1105443.jpg

shoes_iaec1142555.jpg

Or walking sandals if it's warm enough:

Shoes_iAEC1032236.jpg

shoes_iaec1194068.jpg

Shoes_iAEC1063013.jpg

When I was in Paris this January, the only people wearing white tennis shoes were Americans. I agree on being comfortable, but, there are many shoes that are comfortable without being white tennis shoes! Leave those at home!

I am not one to were sneakers with jeans either. For no other reason than I don't find them comfortable. To me they are ok for a little while but then are too bulky and hot. On a brighter side, having such a hard time finding a pair of comfy shoes that I could were all day walking and working, I have found Keens. I love them. They support well and fit my wide foot well. They have some cute Mary Janes like GordonChick showed and some closed toed sandals with openings on the sides. BTW, Zappos is having a sale on them now.

I am not one to were sneakers with jeans either. For no other reason than I don't find them comfortable. To me they are ok for a little while but then are too bulky and hot. On a brighter side, having such a hard time finding a pair of comfy shoes that I could were all day walking and working, I have found Keens. I love them. They support well and fit my wide foot well. They have some cute Mary Janes like GordonChick showed and some closed toed sandals with openings on the sides. BTW, Zappos is having a sale on them now.

I just checked them out, but didn't see wide styles. Most stated medium, although there is something called "OS".

Am I missing something, or do they run quite wide?

These shoes are cute, are they sketchers? I'm trying to move away from wearing my tennis shoes all the time since I have to wear them at work, and it looks like these would work with a lot of different styles.

First three are all Privo by Clark's. Next pair (first sandals) are Merrells and the last two are Clark's.

I find some opinions here interesting, and would love to be able to choose my footwear for fashion. I have very wide feet as well as feet that are very thick. In most shoes I have to go several sizes too large to get my feet in them, and even larger for a comfortable fit. Talk about clown shoes--that is what they then look like in length. I would so like to be able to have choices other than tennis shoes -- but have yet to find a store that can accomodate my feet.

I find some opinions here interesting, and would love to be able to choose my footwear for fashion. I have very wide feet as well as feet that are very thick. In most shoes I have to go several sizes too large to get my feet in them, and even larger for a comfortable fit. Talk about clown shoes--that is what they then look like in length. I would so like to be able to have choices other than tennis shoes -- but have yet to find a store that can accomodate my feet.

:cool:Raising my hand here, another wide footed person. I wear a 10 or 10 1/2 wide, very hard to find anything in my size. A little nerve damage in my right foot makes it a little bit more difficult, I have to accomodate an orthotic in most shoes.

If you have a Nordstrom anywhere near you, they will get the size for you if it is available. I prefer to try on a shoe before purchase, rather than having to ship back if I don't like it or if it just doesn't fit. At least when trying on a shoe that's a little too tight, I can almost tell. I work part time right down the mall from them, so this is the most convenient way for me to find shoes. They ship direct to your house if they don't have your size in the store, retuyrns are simple for me.

Zappos has a free shipping policy because it is drop ship only, they don't have a store or many employees to support. You can narrow your choices down to your size/width to see what is available instead of searching through page after page of shoes, only to find it doesn't come in your width. Their prices are full retail, sometimes being a bit higher than in the stores. The down side (to me) is that you cannot try on the shoe ahead of time, I'm not fond of having to re-ship anything.

Ridiculous, there's nothing wrong with jeans and sneakers. It's what I where every day to work at my office and on the weekend. We're casual because we're archaeologists, and jeans are our uniforms.

Former geologist here...Yep, jeans, sneakers or boots, even to work. :)

I don't see the rationality in saying that simply because you wear something to work each day there is nothing wrong with it fashion-wise. Let me tell you, I had some pretty hideous work outfits when I held jobs that required certain garments. I think loads of things are unfashionable, including jeans and athletic shoes (not the more "fashion" sneakers) and I see people wearing things I loathe every day. However, I fail to see how that should matter to the person wearing them. For all I know, they think I look absolutely hideous. Thr world goes on- and in the end it doesn't matter at all.

To me it's like trying to eat completely whole, healthy foods and never tripping up to have a cookie or something. I'm not going to be perfect with food all of the time, and don't expect me to be the height of fashion every day either :)

I don't see the rationality in saying that simply because you wear something to work each day there is nothing wrong with it fashion-wise. Let me tell you, I had some pretty hideous work outfits when I held jobs that required certain garments. I think loads of things are unfashionable, including jeans and athletic shoes (not the more "fashion" sneakers) and I see people wearing things I loathe every day. However, I fail to see how that should matter to the person wearing them. For all I know, they think I look absolutely hideous. Thr world goes on- and in the end it doesn't matter at all.

To me it's like trying to eat completely whole, healthy foods and never tripping up to have a cookie or something. I'm not going to be perfect with food all of the time, and don't expect me to be the height of fashion every day either :)

I wasn't insinuating at all that there was anything right or wrong fashion-wise with what I have to wear at work each day. I'm really just trying to break out of a rut. I work at a vet hospital, and wear scrubs and tennis shoes every day. I find on the weekends I tend to wear the tennies again just because they're comfortable and go with jeans. I would just like to upgrade my weekend and vacation wardrobe and go with shoes that are still comfy but look good too!

Thanks for your response! I'll be on-line shoe shopping now!

These are brands I own a lot of - my shoe motto is "Life is too short to wear uncomfortable shoes!" Once you find brands that fit your feet well and are comfortable, it does make it easier to shop online. My favorite comfy brands that are within my budget are Clark's (and any of their other lines like Privo, Indigo, etc), Merrells (though these do lean to the more casual/athletic side of my wardrobe instead of work), Ecco, Sofft, SoftWalks, Softspots, Aerosole, Ariat, Naturalizer, Rockport, etc. I've picked up a couple of Cole Hahn Airs that are usually way out of my price range at places like Off-Saks and Neiman's Last Call. The best place I've gotten FANTASTIC prices is 6pm.com. I pick up Clarks, Merrells, etc for 60-70% off the retail prices.

Footsmart online has a decent assortment of wide or "thick" shoes, and Happy Ks is right, Nordstrom is wonderful about working with those of us with wide or large feet... both these options have also some great styles. I am in Alaska so have to do most of my shopping online, or during travel. Footsmart works well for me.

Archived