Uniworld River Royale

mn2ga

We are considering a Burgundy/Provence cruise on River Royale. Not having had any experience with Uniworld, I would like to hear others experiences with the company and that boat. We are specifically looking at a river cruise in southern France and are open to suggestions. Thank you.

Thank you to the OP for posting this inquiry. We are looking at the same cruise for 2012 . We have never river cruised, and wonder about both the company and ship (boat?). This thread has really whet my appetite for the itinerary, the touring possibilities, given me info about the laundry, food allergies, etc. Really, quite helpful in making a decision. :)

I do hope some of you will remember to share your experiences upon return.

Jacquie

• 2 weeks later...
Just want to encourage all of you who are crusing the River Royale soon to come back to the board and give us future cruisers your feedback about "everything!" We leave the last week in May and can't wait!

B. Cole

(As you can see from my signature, below,...) This was our fifth Uniworld Europe river cruise in the past six years. My wife and I agree this was our best ever. The ship, cruise manager, crew, itinerary, cabin, local guides, food, wine,... virtually everything, including the weather, was terrific. We also did the 3-day pre-cruise in Paris.

No complaints. Just had lots of fun.

If you have any specific questions, let me know.

I've posted some of my pictures on our personal web site beginning at http://hillrisefarm.us/Uniworld_2011.html , where you'll also find links to copies of the ship's daily programs and the ship's supper meals menus.

Cheers!

...Karl :)

Karl:

Thanks so much for the information. We just received our documents for the May 29 cruise and are so excited. I noticed in one of the photos, the gentlemen had ties on for dinner. I assume this was for the more formal evenings. Was this rule rather than the exception or were men also dressed in sports jackets (country club casual)? I need to clue my husband in if he needs to take a dress shirt and tie!

Thanks,

B. Cole

Thanks for posting the link to your website with all the great information about River Royale. We are on the July 10th sailing and your post with the itineraries and menus is a big help.

thanks again

larry

I noticed in one of the photos, the gentlemen had ties on for dinner. I assume this was for the more formal evenings. Was this rule rather than the exception or were men also dressed in sports jackets (country club casual)?

B and larry,

Glad I could help.

In the spirit of (eventually) wearing everything I always overpack ( ;) ), I wore a tie to the Captain's welcome dinner and to the Captain's farewell dinner. On our cruise, I'd say less than a dozen men wore ties to these suppers. Most wore just a sport coat with open collar shirt. Either way, your husband won't feel out of place. (On the other nights, I just wore an open collar shirt and sport coat). Cheers!

...Karl

Karl:

You have relieved our anxiety about an abundance of clothing. It is hard to think in terms of one suitcase each with things to wear during the day, things to wear in the evenings in addition to more dressy wear such as coat and tie. I think the sport jacket with open collar shirt will be my husband's choice. I so appreciated looking at your itinerary (even though our trip is in the opposite direction) and I gained 5 pounds just reading the menus! Thank you again for not forgetting those of us who are anticipating our cruise.

B. Cole

You have relieved our anxiety about an abundance of clothing. Thank you again for not forgetting those of us who are anticipating our cruise.

Again, no problem. It's getting easier and easier NOT to overpack these days with the airlines lowering weight limits before their penalty/supplemental baggage charges kick in.

Remember, the evening meal portions on these Uniworld river cruises, (at least the ones we've been on), are filling but not as over-the-top in quantity as the ocean-going cruise portions seem to be. (Of course, you can ask for seconds on anything; they won't even raise an eyebrow). Plus, the daily 1-2 hour walking tours are fun and give you some exercise. You'll be surprised you might not gain much (if any) weight on your river cruise. A caveat, though: the delicious breakfast and lunch meals are buffet, so "your mileage may vary". ;)

We ALL anxiously anticipate our upcoming cruises, so you're not alone there.

You're going to have a great time!! Cheers!

...Karl

This is a great thread. We have been on several Uniworld cruises already and have three more planned for this year. We are taking the Paris - Normandy and this cruise in June. Really looking forward to it. We'll write a full review when we get back.

This is a great thread. We have been on several Uniworld cruises already and have three more planned for this year. We are taking the Paris - Normandy and this cruise in June. Really looking forward to it. We'll write a full review when we get back.

Was supposed to leave on Wed. for Rhone, but had a medical problem and had to cancel.

Maybe next year Paris to Normandy??

Looking forward to your review.

Sadly, Carol

Was supposed to leave on Wed. for Rhone, but had a medical problem and had to cancel.

Carol,

Very sorry you can't get to your cruise on Wednesday. Get well soon so you can cruise again! :)

...Karl

Karl,

thanks again for your link. On closer inspection of the daily programs I noticed that there were 3 days on which the ship sailed before 5:30 (one as early as 11:30 am). I was wondering if that is the same situation going in the opposite direction. I realize that on some days one might be on an optional ship excursion so it really wouldn't matter.

In my planning to date I was only counting on doing a couple of afternoon excursions, the rest of the time exploring in the afternoons but that won't work if the ship sails early.

If anyone has been on the south to north itinerary please jump in and comment on sailing times.

Larry

Karl,

Your input, including the info on your website, was invaluable in my decision to take this tour next year. We plan on spending time in Paris both before and following the tour and were wondering about the hotel Uniworld booked in Paris. There is no information on their website. What hotel was it, how was it, where was it in Paris, and what did it cost. I have been investigating hotels independently, but will probably want to do the Uniworld package. And thanks so much for the info you have already provided.

Kathy

Karl, Thanks for your info and the pictures. I was somewhat surprised to see you standing on the french balcony. Is it somewhat larger than other ships? We're actually doing the Grand France next year-your review and pics make us wish it was sooner.

I was wondering if that is the same situation going in the opposite direction. If anyone has been on the south to north itinerary please jump in and comment on sailing times.

Hi Larry,

I (obviously) can't respond for the south-to-north itinerary. In Chalon sur Saone, the early departure wasn't that big of a deal since we'd already been there the day before on our day of arrival. In Tournon/Tain L'Hermitage, the early afternoon sailing was also probably okay because those two villages were tiny, and it'd be possible to enjoy them even after the early morning walking tour. My wife and I would've liked to have had more time in Viviers, since we thought that was one of the more charming stops of the week.

As you already mentioned, it's a non-issue if you take one of the optional afternoon tours off the ship. Remember, too, it matters which day of the week you're in any particular city/town/village. In the smaller villages, it seemed things began to shut down Saturday afternoon, and most everything except the most touristy places are closed on Sundays. Even on Mondays, in some places, shops are closed, and on Tuesdays museums are closed. It's a different way of life, and my wife and I just got used to it.

As always, though, "your mileage may vary". ;) Cheers!

...Karl

Karl,

thanks for the pointers about Touron/Tain l'Hermitage and Viviers and the day of the week.

For our trip, the day of the week shouldn't be an issue since we arrive in Arles for the beginning of our cruise mid afternoon on sunday. We actually are spending almost a week ahead of time in Provence and will be coming to Arles from Aix. On the Monday we are planning on spending time in Arles and skipping the side trip to Les Baux since we will have already been there. Hopefully things will be open in Arles on Monday. Tuesday we are in Avignon and taking the optional excursion to Pont du Gard. On the Saturday we will be in Chalon Sur Saone and are taking the afternoon excursion. All that to say, I think our exposure potentially is Arles pm on Monday.

Again I appreciate your insights.

Larry

How strict are they about using their hand sanitizer before entering the ship and dining room?

I have allergies. If they are strict, can I bring my own or do they insist you use theirs?

cb

• 2 weeks later...
We plan on spending time in Paris both before and following the tour and were wondering about the hotel Uniworld booked in Paris. There is no information on their website. What hotel was it, how was it, where was it in Paris, and what did it cost. I have been investigating hotels independently, but will probably want to do the Uniworld package.

Hi Kathy,

(I have no idea why I didn't see your post earlier... I usually get an email alert there's been a posting to the threads to which I've subscribed. Sorry.)

The hotel Uniworld used was Le Méridien Etoile. We had mixed feelings on this hotel after we'd stayed there. Before we booked, we looked on the hotel's web site, and it looked really good. What we found once we arrived: All of the public rooms and staff were great, and the included morning breakfast buffet was almost as good as what you'll find on the River Royale. Unfortunately, our room (and the room our friends were in at the other end of the same floor) left a lot to be desired. The king bed was a bowl; high on the sides and a deep depression in the middle. There was peeling paint in the WC. Housekeeping never left two sets of bath linens, so we always had to call to get a second set. For the entire three days, housekeeping never replaced our used water glasses. We think the higher floors are the nicer rooms, and the floor Uniworld books is the oldest, minimalist floor. Our room definitely didn't look anything like the rooms shown on the hotel's web site. Wi-fi was an additional 32 Euros for the three days, which we elected not to purchase. On the plus side, the hotel is next to the Congress mall / convention center, just a few blocks NE of the Arc de Triomphe. The train entrance is just half a block away, so you can get everywhere by train. There are several good/casual open-air restaurants within walking distance, too, so you're not limited to the hotel's restaurants and bars. The Uniworld price seems high, ($1000 US per person) but since it includes the breakfast buffet and the airport/ship transfers, it's probably minimally worth the extra money to be met at the airport by a Uniworld rep, and not to have to worry about the logistics. There is a Uniworld hostess who has a desk at the hotel, and she was there first thing in the morning and then again later in the day. Uniworld hosts a brief orientation talk in one of the hotel's lounges the first evening, with an included complementary bar drink. We didn't take any of the offered Uniworld hotel-based excursions, and just hopped into cabs wherever we went because one of our friends had ankle problems. Cabs aren't expensive, but you have to add 3 Euros and double-check the cab will take a fourth person.

Bottom line, if we had to do it over again, we'd either book into the hotel ourselves, and make sure we reserved a room on one of the renovated/updated floors in the hotel, or else we'd book another hotel. As always, though, your mileage may vary. ;)

...Karl

How strict are they about using their hand sanitizer before entering the ship and dining room?

I have allergies. If they are strict, can I bring my own or do they insist you use theirs?

cb

cb,

Before we exited the bus to board the ship the first time, the ship's hotel manager got on the bus and handed out little tubes of hand sanitizer, strongly requested we use it, and explained the ship's policy for using the touchless hand sanitizer dispensers when returning to the ship and at the entrance to the dining room. The hotel manager and restaurant manager greeted passengers at the entrance to the dining room the first night, and made sure everyone used the sanitizer dispensers before entering. Later in the week, it all depended on which staff member was near the lobby door coming back aboard to check if passengers used the sanitizer dispensers at the door. We observed most passengers complied coming back aboard and at the dining room entrance, but some of the older passengers were just oblivious, and no staffer challenged the passenger to go back and use the dispenser.

I can't answer whether staff insisted on using their sanitizer while aboard. We always carry our own hand sanitizer packets ashore.

...Karl

• 3 months later...

Great info and we are really getting excited! My wife and I are booked on the River Royale for the cruise up the Rhone from Arles from May 13-20, 2012. Our first river boat cruise. If anyone is going on this cruise at same time-we'd love to hear from you. Or you can contact us direct at otisandjoan@comcast.net

We are staying nights of May 9,10,11 in Aix-en-P at the Aquabella Hotel.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from a Uniworld river cruise from Arles to Chalon sur Saone. Our time on the ship was great; the staff (especially Cruise Director Alexandra and waiter Georgiev) was wonderful; the food, while not gourmet, was better than expected; the itinerary was interesting and the excursions, with very knowledgeable guides, were very enjoyable. (Curiously, since we were in wine country, the weakest part of the excursions was the wine tastings, of which there were three between the included and optional tours: three cheap wines in the same glass, once with zero food accompaniment.) Our three-day extension in Paris in a mediocre hotel (le Meridien Etoile) and a local host (Evy), who was rude and not in the least helpful, was not a good value.

Just returned from a Uniworld river cruise from Arles to Chalon sur Saone. ........... Our three-day extension in Paris in a mediocre hotel (le Meridien Etoile) and a local host (Evy), who was rude and not in the least helpful, was not a good value.

Your honest opinion on the 3-day extension is greatly appreciated. I am surprised, as I have heard good things about Uniworld, but no one has ever singled out the extended stays. We booked the same itinerary as yours but with Avalon. We are doing a 3-day extended stay in Paris but booked it ourselves. Fingers crossed we made the right choice in hotels.

Our three-day extension in Paris in a mediocre hotel (le Meridien Etoile) and a local host (Evy), who was rude and not in the least helpful, was not a good value.

We did this terrific cruise in April, opposite direction, but with Uniworld's Paris pkg at le Meridien Etoile as a pre-cruise. We concur with your hotel assessment. The public rooms were very nice, the included breakfasts very good, location okay, but our room was at best 1-star. Same for our friends' room. Maybe the worst bed we've ever had in a hotel, anywhere. (The room didn't look anything close to even the lowest-priced room picture on the hotel's web site). We even had less-than-satisfactory daily housekeeping, and we have minimal needs for housekeeping. We noticed several airline flight crews coming and going on our (2nd) floor, so our floor might have been reserved just for commercial contracts. Another hint ours might have been a commercial contracts floor was a special key card was needed in the elevator to get to any floors above ours, and there were many floors above ours. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend.

Evy was our Uniworld local host, too, but since we didn't book any of Uniworld's Paris excursions (we did everything on our own), we didn't have much contact with Evy other than her first evening's orientation talk.

Our three-day extension in Paris in a mediocre hotel (le Meridien Etoile) and a local host (Evy), who was rude and not in the least helpful, was not a good value.

canuckinbklyn, I hope you inform Uniworld of your disappointing experience :( They can't change what they don't know about...

Archived