Uniworld River Royale

mn2ga

We did this terrific cruise in April, opposite direction, but with Uniworld's Paris pkg at le Meridien Etoile as a pre-cruise. We concur with your hotel assessment. The public rooms were very nice, the included breakfasts very good, location okay, but our room was at best 1-star. Same for our friends' room. Maybe the worst bed we've ever had in a hotel, anywhere. (The room didn't look anything close to even the lowest-priced room picture on the hotel's web site). We even had less-than-satisfactory daily housekeeping, and we have minimal needs for housekeeping. We noticed several airline flight crews coming and going on our (2nd) floor, so our floor might have been reserved just for commercial contracts. Another hint ours might have been a commercial contracts floor was a special key card was needed in the elevator to get to any floors above ours, and there were many floors above ours. Wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend.

Evy was our Uniworld local host, too, but since we didn't book any of Uniworld's Paris excursions (we did everything on our own), we didn't have much contact with Evy other than her first evening's orientation talk.

Karl, as I said to canuck, I sure hope you informed Uniworld of your disappointing experience.

How dressy were the women at dinner each night? Saw the info on men's attire--simi-dressy/casual. Also--I'm still a bit confused whether Avis car rental is open on Saturdays in Arles for us to turn our car in? May have to turn in at Aix-en-P before we go to Arles.

Just found this thread today. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all for your posts!!!

We are thinking of taking a River Cruise - first one! - in the fall of next year, 2010. DH is interested in the Rhone River - mainly because he's seriously "into" wine (not a "wine-o" but enjoys a good bottle! while I usually just buy a "label"!).

Anyway your posts are fabulous for "painting" a picture of River Cruise - so far we've cruised big ships - Celebrity and RCCL - in Europe and the Caribbean.

A quick few questions ~

Someone mentioned that there wasn't an emphasis on wine, especially in this cruise area. Any comments?? There seems to be only a few "wine" excursions - is it a waste if you're a serious wine person?

How do transfers work if you spend pre-cruise time in a Paris? Do you have to get to the ship on your own? (we usually do when cruising).

Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give us river-newbies!!!

Just found this thread today. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU all for your posts!!!

We are thinking of taking a River Cruise - first one! - in the fall of next year, 2010. DH is interested in the Rhone River - mainly because he's seriously "into" wine (not a "wine-o" but enjoys a good bottle! while I usually just buy a "label"!).

Anyway your posts are fabulous for "painting" a picture of River Cruise - so far we've cruised big ships - Celebrity and RCCL - in Europe and the Caribbean.

A quick few questions ~

Someone mentioned that there wasn't an emphasis on wine, especially in this cruise area. Any comments?? There seems to be only a few "wine" excursions - is it a waste if you're a serious wine person?

How do transfers work if you spend pre-cruise time in a Paris? Do you have to get to the ship on your own? (we usually do when cruising).

The wine excursions were definitely not the highlight of the cruise, but I believe some itineraries' main focus are the wines, so you might want to do more research.

We did a pre-cruise in Paris also and were contacted by Uniworld as to when we would arrive in Marseilles and they met us at the airport with several other passengers and transferred us to the ship. If they don't contact you, I would give them a call.

B. Cole

We arrived in Marseille before the day of the cruise. Uniworld gave us the flight number and time of another passenger and told us to meet the Uniworld representative at the airport, as if we just arrived. Worked out fine and here we are, aboard, in Arles.

cb

Karl, as I said to canuck, I sure hope you informed Uniworld of your disappointing experience.

Yep. Stated almost word-for-word on our comment/survey cards. Obviously, though, seems like nothing's changed.

Like Karl, we also expressed ourselves on Uniworld's online survey. Hopefully it gets read. We also didn't book any excursions in Paris but we did try some of our host's restaurant recommendations, which she handed everyone when we first met her. They were not very good. I asked her about a nearby restaurant I had read about on Tripadvisor, she said she hadn't heard of it and didn't offer to make reservations. The hotel concierge, however, did and it was fabulous...Chez Gabrielle.

Like Karl, we also expressed ourselves on Uniworld's online survey. Hopefully it gets read. We also didn't book any excursions in Paris but we did try some of our host's restaurant recommendations, which she handed everyone when we first met her. They were not very good. I asked her about a nearby restaurant I had read about on Tripadvisor, she said she hadn't heard of it and didn't offer to make reservations. The hotel concierge, however, did and it was fabulous...Chez Gabrielle.

As I responded to Karl, I tend to be outspoken :D I am big believer in letters. Glad you had a great dining experience at the restaurant of your choice :)

I did send them an email in addition to the survey. Haven't heard anything back.

Please post any response you get. I read your hotel review on TripAdvisor. Find the hotel manager's response that you should have asked for a different room a bit lame. In reading his responses to other critical reviews it is his standard answer :(

My wife and I are thinking about taking this river cruise late next year. and this thread looks to be a wealth of information. Just what I was looking for. I am going to go back and read all the post, but thought I would ask some questions.

We are looking at the south to north route and want to head to Paris after the cruise. Uniworld offers a post-Paris extension. Is that worth it or should we plan that part of our trip separately? any big pro/cons to offer?

also the pre-tour in Provence doesn't look that exciting to us.

maybe we are wrong, is that worthwhile, or are there places close by to plan a nice pretrip before the cruise?

It looks like the coast isn't too far away. That would be nice and interesting, any suggestions?

Thank you

We did the south to north trip last year and loved it. The ship is beautiful, staff top notch and the excursions were well done. Oh yes - food was yummy. We did our own pre-Paris thing using the Hop On Hop Off Bus and boat. That could also be done as a post-cruise thing. Someone else will have to speak to the pre-cruise trip in Provence. I (we) don't think you could go wrong choosing this itinerary.

B. Cole

Thanks Cole and everyone else.

It sounds like we will just love the cruise.

But, It sounds like there has been some recent disappointment with the Paris extension Hotel. Recommendation seems to be to make separate Paris plans outside of Uniworld

How difficult is it to take the train from Chalon sur Saône to Paris, if we book the Paris hotel separately? transport from dock to train station, take a taxi?

We just returned from the Royale's Arles to Chalon sailing. It was our first river cruise and we loved every minute of it! We can't wait to pick another itinerary to do a different river. Regarding the early morning flights, there were shuttles at all hours of the morning starting at 3:45AM. It's about an hour and 30 to 45 minutes from Chalon to the Lyon airport so you'd have plenty of time for a 7:30AM flight.

Have a great time!

Regarding others who want to spend time pre-cruise - we chose Aix-en-Provence, at the Cezanne hotel and it was wonderful. Only a few blocks from the Cours Mirabeaux and the weekend markets were great for scarves and even fabric! We used a private guide to pick us up at MRS and then take us on a tour on the way to the ship in Arles. She also took us to Les Baux on Monday along with St Remy (the only place it rained!).

Enjoy!

Can you share the guides name and email address..

Thanks,

Jancruz1

We are booked on the south to north cruie from Arles next May 2012, and have booked 3 nights in Aix-en-Provence and one in Arles before the cruise. All the resarch I have done shows there is tons of interesting stuff to see in villages within a 50 mile radius ( we are renting a car for 3 days as well). I have found that all you need is good phrase book and an adventuresome spirit and the experiences are just waiting for you. Having lived in California for most my adult life does reduce some of the anxiety of "backroads adventures". I bet you will have a grand time in Paris as well. Good luck!:o

How difficult is it to take the train from Chalon sur Saône to Paris, if we book the Paris hotel separately? transport from dock to train station, take a taxi?

Train to Paris is easy. Much easier than transferring to Lyon on a bus provided by Uniworld which is 2 - 3 hour ride. We took the train, went through Lyon and then boarded the fast train to Paris. Recommend you catch a cab from the boat to train station because pulling luggage would require you to cross busy roads. Uniworld had the cab pick us up in plenty of time to get to station, retrieve tickets, etc. They really take care of everyone.

B. Cole

We took Uniworld's Grand France Cruise in June/July 2011. We stayed in Paris for three nights prior to the cruise. It was a trip of a lifetime and far exceeded our expectations. We did Paris on our own and it was wonderful.

Would be glad to answer any questions if anyone is considering this trip.

After our three days in Paris we were on the River Baroness and for the Southern portion of the trip we were on the River Royale.

First post. Thought I would register and pop on here have lurking on and off for half the year reading about river cruising before and after our cruise. We’re in our low 40’s and were on the River Royale in early Sept. going south to north.

The train to Paris is reasonably easy. Chalon to Dijon, wait and switch to a high speed train (TGV) and you’re there! Taxi to the your hotel and you’ve made it. About 5 or 8 other couples from the cruise were doing the exact same route though Dijon. We bought a couple of months earlier on raileurope.com but we did hear people buying the day before at a kiosk.

There was only a slight confusion on the TGV train about our seats – someone else from our cruise was sitting in them. Turns out they should have been in another numbered car behind us. That part, the car number still isn’t clear to me. I didn’t see it. But we sat.

Anyhow the cruise. We enjoyed it. Of course (as I mentioned, we are just barely over 40) we were the youngest onboard besides the crew. And it was our first time to Europe. Seeing it’s mid-November, they must now be done or just about done for the year now. I guess the River Royale will be renovated/redecorated over the winter.

A couple of thoughts. If you’re somewhat active and like to ride bike, be sure to take a bike from the boat out. In Lyon, there is a great bike path to the north along the river that takes you to a nice wooded area. It was a nice way to spend a Friday afternoon. Only took an hour. Or more.

We didn’t seek out lunches in any of the cities - and once or twice it wasn’t possible as we were moving already - but on the morning we were in Lyon we used our smart phone Tripadvisor app to dig up the name of a restaurant we might want to eat at and at that time (and now) the #1 rated was Le Musee, a few blocks walk from the some main plaza where the bus will drop you off (if you want) to explore Lyon after the included morning tour. (That plaza is real close to the river and the boat on the other side.) This is a heavy cream rustic French restaurant, pretty tiny inside (maybe room for 35 or 40 if that) and 4 tables in the alley outside. The owner is great. Just read the TA reviews.

I write up a few other thoughts later another time I suppose. Thanks to those that wrote up stuff earlier - it was helpful.

Just back - south to north. We flew into Marseille and spent 2 nights there. Just enough time for a quick intro to the city and some Bouillabaisse. And time to get over jet lag. Flight from LAX left at 6am.

After cruise, spent 2 nights in Lyon. The morning bus tour included in the cruise was a good intro. We knew what we wanted to spend more time doing.

Cruise was fun, but we would have liked more time to wander the towns on our own.

cb

Planning a group trip, perhaps 5 couples for late summer 2012 on River Royale thru Burgundy and Provence. Each couple will sort out any pre and post-cruise extensions.

Several choices to make:

1) August 26, 2012, Chalon to Arles is $250 less per person than the next week's Arles to Chalon September 2.

2) The August 26th trip has the option of $800 savings per couple if we book cruise/air thru Uniworld, and this is not available thru the September 2 trip. I assume this discount does not work if we book our air separately from Uniworld.

3) Would have preferred ending in Chalon, and then add the Paris extension, but that would be the more expensive timing on the September 2 cruise.

4) May well just do Paris pre-cruise, wonder others' thoughts.

5) Was interested in the many comments regarding unhappiness with the Paris extension thru Uniworld, as would expect this to be the easiest to arrange; but if the pricing is about the same and easy to schedule, might avoid booking thru Uniworld (but that might preclude the cruise/air discount). We would not take any of the group tours in Paris anyway, preferring to travel on our own.

Lot's of little things to consider, but the core 7 day cruise sounds great.

Any feedback quite welcome.

A couple of answers to your questions...

The sailing in August is less because it is August. There tends to be more crowds in the summer months - and you do run the risk that some shops are closed. The prices tend to rise in September - and then drop again further into the fall.

Not sure if the $800 savings/couple is really worth it. You can get $300/couple just by putting a deposit down - and then book your own air. Not sure if you can get a better rate with Uniworld doing the booking --> a good TA may be able to find you flights a bit cheaper. We often ask, and then try to secure the flights on our own. Sometimes cheaper - sometimes not.

If you really want to end in Chalon and do Paris post-sailing, then my suggestion is to stick with your original plan. If you do not plan to do any sightseeing with Uniworld in Paris anyway, there are lots of great hotels that you can book on your own. Or - check out the train from Arles to Paris --> if you feel you can save by travelling a week earlier, and can book train transport from Arles to Paris quite easily --> this might be an option. You can still do your own hotel etc in Paris.

Just my 2 cents worth here... :D

Fran

Thank you Fran.

Your advice is very helpful. Had forgotten why we avoid Europe in August.

Since I am the point person for organizing the trip for several couples, am trying to look at cost from all angles.

For us, September 2, cruise from Arles to Chalon, and the train to Paris, would be the best.

Now just have to contemplate flying from Southern California to Marseilles during Labor Day weekend.

Thanks again.

-- Looking for some help before and after our cruise in May. We are beginning the cruise in Chalon Sur Saone and ending in Arles, so a few questions:

1. Is it better/easier to spend a night in Chalon or Lyon prior to the cruise? Any hotel recommendation?

2. I'm confused about the cruise transfer from Lyon to Chalon. Is it true that the transfer is included in our cruise price even if we did not book airfare with Uniworld? If not, do you know the cost?

3. At the end of the cruise, how much time do I need to allow for the transfer to the MRS airport before a flight to Paris?

4. Again, do we pay for that transfer separately or is it included?

5. After the cruise, does Uniworld offer a tour that would store our luggage and deliver us to the airport if we decide to take a later flight to CDG?

Thanks!

Archived