Are adjoining cabins really that noisy?

SeaboundQT

My husband and I are taking our first cruise, booked on Summit for March 2011. We have just upgraded to Concierge Class (Cabin 8120). While speaking with the service rep at Celebrity, she seemed to believe this was a good cabin; although, it is an adjoining one.

I assume both doors (ours and our neighbour's) will remain closed and locked at all times, so if this is the case, will the noise/light from the other cabin that joins to ours be a problem? Some posters on here have made me a little nervous of this.

The Customer service rep at Celebrity told me that between the two doors, there is a little "hallway" or "open area" where the doors would open into, should you wish to adjoin the rooms. With that being said, would it not be pretty quiet if both doors remain closed? (It would be door - space - door) or do I have that wrong?

Can anyone who has had an adjoining cabin (but not used it) share their experience on this? We still have time to change our cabin location, so just trying to find out. Many thanks in advance for your help, Lisa :)

There is no space between the doors, but there are two and both remain locked. It is noisier than a non-connecting cabin, but I don't think it's a huge problem unless you have especially noisy neighbors. It's just like connecting doors in a hotel on the M-Class ships.

My husband and I are taking our first cruise, booked on Summit for March 2011. We have just upgraded to Concierge Class (Cabin 8120). While speaking with the service rep at Celebrity, she seemed to believe this was a good cabin; although, it is an adjoining one.

I assume both doors (ours and our neighbour's) will remain closed and locked at all times, so if this is the case, will the noise/light from the other cabin that joins to ours be a problem? Some posters on here have made me a little nervous of this.

The Customer service rep at Celebrity told me that between the two doors, there is a little "hallway" or "open area" where the doors would open into, should you wish to adjoin the rooms. With that being said, would it not be pretty quiet if both doors remain closed? (It would be door - space - door) or do I have that wrong?

Can anyone who has had an adjoining cabin (but not used it) share their experience on this? We still have time to change our cabin location, so just trying to find out. Many thanks in advance for your help, Lisa :)

We had one once and never again,we could hear everything.

There is no space between the connecting doors. There are two doors just like in a hotel connecting room. Both remained locked. I don't think it's a big problem unless your neighbors are especially noisy, but it is noisier than a non-connecting cabin. If you can change, I probably would.

The situation your dear little service rep at Celebrity is referring to only applies to S class ships. You need to understand that these folks are laboring in a call center somewhere FAR from the ocean and have never been on a ship.

On your M class ship, the doors will be just like connecting doors in a hotel room. And there's only one door, not two. So the possibility exists for considerable noise transfer. Given the choice between a cabin with a connecting door and one without, I would always take the one without. Unless I were traveling with the folks in the other room & wanted the connection.

We had one once on a RCCL ship and since there is no sound batting between the doors as there is in the walls, it was a point of sound entry. They have figured this out on S Class ships, but for your ship OP, its probably going to be noticeable and frankly not worth the risk to overall enjoyment. If you can make an alternate cabin arrangement, that is what I would do if it were me.

SeaboundQT,

Celebrity will allow you to change cabins if another cabin in the same category is available. You can do a fake booking and check which cabins might be available on the Celebrity website and then call you TA with the new cabin number. Just in case you want to consider trying to change. C1 to C1, C3 to another C3. I try to avoid connecting cabins for the potential noise problem, but I certainly would not turn down an upgrade to avoid connecting cabins.

thanks everyone, for your feedback-it was extremely helpful. i just got off the phone with rep and changed our cabin to 8149! concierge class, panorama deck on the summit and non-adjoining room. :D fingers crossed its still a good one (no obstuctions, etc). thanks again, lisa

Archived