Pre-cruise tour Canadian Rockies on Celebrity ????

pattyj 1204

My husband wants to see the Canadian Rockies and combine it with and Alaskan Cruise with Celebrity. We have been to Alaska and took the land tour to Denali in Sept. 2002. We just loved it. I'm just wondering if anyone on the board has done the Canadian Rockies tour and what they thought of it. We are scheduled to go to Calgary, Banff,Jasper, Vancouver, Viktoria then back to Vancouver and pick up the Millie then off to Alaska. I'm hoping this will be as beautiful as our previous cruise was. Going in Aug. 20,2011. Thanks for the info.

My husband wants to see the Canadian Rockies and combine it with and Alaskan Cruise with Celebrity. We have been to Alaska and took the land tour to Denali in Sept. 2002. We just loved it. I'm just wondering if anyone on the board has done the Canadian Rockies tour and what they thought of it. We are scheduled to go to Calgary, Banff,Jasper, Vancouver, Viktoria then back to Vancouver and pick up the Millie then off to Alaska. I'm hoping this will be as beautiful as our previous cruise was. Going in Aug. 20,2011. Thanks for the info.

Haven't done the Canadian Rockies with an organized tour, but have done it twice on our own, driving both times all the way from Michigan. :eek:

We loved our trips to the Canadian Rockies. Calgary is not my favorite place, but we timed our trip to be there for the famous Calgary Stampede which was a great experience. Jasper and Banff are very lovely areas.

The main thing I would look at for the tours is how much time you will actually have at each stop and how much time you will be on the road. You don't want to feel like you are on the road all the time just seeing things from the bus. You want to have time to actually experience the areas. The Canadian Rockies remains at the top of our favorite vacations. For my DH it is his number one favorite, for me it is my number two favorite (Alaska being at the top for me). I am sure you will absolutely love it!!!! It is a great combination vacation!!! I would not hesitate to go for it.

I too have toured these areas independently. I suggest you make sure you have time at the destinations, 2 days is a min. in some. For Victoria, it is never a day trip. You would be best to read between the lines and make sure it's what you want. This area is more than looking out a bus/train window. The train is superior for scenery vs the highway, but having a car is a major benefit. I've taken the train one trip from Kingston but rented cars, which worked out. It was a major highlight for me, to get out of the "touristy" town areas, and see some of the beauty. :) The other trips were driving from Vancouver.

I too have toured the area independently. If you are able, I would suggest that alternative and skip Calgary. If you have the time, I would spend 2 days in Banff, travel up the Icefields Parkway (with stops along the way, including Lake Louise and the Columbia Glacier) and then spend two more days in Jasper. On the way back see if you could squeeze in Yoho National Park for a couple of hours. It would be worth it. The Canadian Rockies are spectacular. Please keep in mind if you have visited American National Parks the Canadian variety are different. Many parks were developed around existing towns so the areas are more commercial. There are still many areas to explore away from the t-shirt shops and restaurants.

Thanks for the info and the tips. We wanted to go with the Celebrity pre-tour only because we did the inside Alaska tour in 2002 that was such a major success. No worries about where to stay, how to get from place to place and Gordy could get all the photos he wanted without the stress of driving unfamilar roads. Looks like we are spending 2 days in Victoria, motorcoach from Calgary to Banff overnight there, bus to Jasper with overnight then to Vancouver by rail with an overnight on the train, then to Victoria by ferry. Got me thinking about the movie: Planes,Trains and Automobiles.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to recheck the schedule hoping that there will time enough to see some of the sights. Just a little under a year before we leave. Can't wait.

Thanks for the info and the tips. We wanted to go with the Celebrity pre-tour only because we did the inside Alaska tour in 2002 that was such a major success. No worries about where to stay, how to get from place to place and Gordy could get all the photos he wanted without the stress of driving unfamilar roads. Looks like we are spending 2 days in Victoria, motorcoach from Calgary to Banff overnight there, bus to Jasper with overnight then to Vancouver by rail with an overnight on the train, then to Victoria by ferry. Got me thinking about the movie: Planes,Trains and Automobiles.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to recheck the schedule hoping that there will time enough to see some of the sights. Just a little under a year before we leave. Can't wait.

If this is all single days, then in my opinion, it is a poor choice. Banff is a least 2 days, and so is Lake Louise, for me. It is darn simple to drive. :) BUT, your priority is the no thought inclusive tour, so it would be doable for you.

I have looked at the Rocky Mountaineer rail trips, but they are so expensive. After seeing this thread today, I reserved a rental car with National from Vancouver to Calgary for one week post cruise next August. (I had considered flying to Anchorage for a one-week Alaska land trip post cruise, but I've already done that several times.) The car was cheap compared to what the lodging will cost, but I have almost a year to work on that!

I will preface my comments with saying that we live in between Vancouver and Calgary and travel a few times a year through Banff, Lake Louise, and Jasper. Over the 30 years my wife and I have been together, we have had well over 100 trips between the locations combined. While most of those are drive straight through variety, we have taken our time and explored as well. Unfortunately, we have not had the privalige of travelling by train in the last few decades. The last time each of did the trip by rail, it was as a commute, and not as a holiday. At night and absolutely no comfort or scenery, but the current way with the Rocky Mountain Rail Tours would be a lovely way to do the trip I am sure.

The trip is magnificent, no matter which way you happen to do it. If you are the type that likes to explore and see as much as possible, then the more time the better. If you do not mind just catching a taste and in the end, be able to say that you were there, then any tour would be a wonderful way to do it, if the details (such as hotels, stops etc) are right. After so many trips through the Rockies, I still marvel each time, no matter which way we do it, taking our time and exploring, or driving straight through and just enjoying the scenery. As mentioned by others, the drive up the Icefield Parkway is one that should not be missed. The drive on any of the highways is not tough or complicated, but do bear in mind that they are mountain roads, and can prove to be tough for some drivers. I grew up driving these highways, so I might take them for granted.

As someone that has felt very, very fortunate to be living in this magnificent area, all I can say is to enjoy it, no matter which way you choose to do it.

The drive on any of the highways is not tough or complicated, but do bear in mind that they are mountain roads, and can prove to be tough for some drivers. I grew up driving these highways, so I might take them for granted.

(bolding mine)

As someone who learned to drive on the prairies, YES you're taking those roads for granted :D Even after a multitude of trips similar to the one you mention (Vancouver/Calgary, Calgary/Vancouver) I still hold my breath going through the snow sheds :D

Mountain driving is just different, and may not be as relaxing as some vacationers would hope it to be!

(bolding mine)

As someone who learned to drive on the prairies, YES you're taking those roads for granted :D Even after a multitude of trips similar to the one you mention (Vancouver/Calgary, Calgary/Vancouver) I still hold my breath going through the snow sheds :D

Mountain driving is just different, and may not be as relaxing as some vacationers would hope it to be!

lol, I guess that is why I get a little frustrated with some of the slow drivers sometimes.. :D Especially those prairie folk ;)

Archived