Carnival Spirit Alaska Cruise Aug 31, 2010

SeeJennyCruise

More berries and flowers near the Bridal Veil Falls.

Alaska_880Sept3181.jpg

Alaska_880Sept3180.jpg

Back on the bus and we stop at a sight to view the Goat Lake Project. Look to the right of the falls and you will see the cable that connects the hydroelectric Goat Lake Project to Skagway. The 204-acre glacially fed lake has the winter storage necessary to sustain year-round hydro generation. Goat Lake became operational in 1997 and was connected with Haines via a 15-mile submarine cable in September 1998. This project allowed diesel-powered generators at both the Skagway and Haines plants to be quiet for the first time in nearly 80 years. All of the power comes from the hydroelectric project and there has been talk of creating another plant to provide power to the cruise ships when in port.

Alaska_880Sept3189.jpg

Alaska_880Sept3191.jpg

Last stop on the tour is at an spot overlooking Skagway. This was the perfect wrap up for our tour before we were given a choice of being dropped off near the shops in Skagway or taken back to our ship. Everyone on our bus agreed to get off the bus in Skagway.

Alaska_880Sept3199.jpg

Alaska_880Sept3192.jpg

Alaska_880Sept3194.jpg

We had lunch at a little place that was recommended by the bus driver. It was quaint but we were not impressed with the food. I did enjoy the shopping for the next couple of hours. There was a shower or two while we ate and shopped.

At the end of our cruise I realized that the best shopping, meaning the best deals, were found in Skagway. I don’t know if that is true all year round. We were one of the last cruises of the season so I expected better deals in Juneau and Ketchikan which can only be reached by sea or plane. Skagway has year round road access, so I guessed they might not be as likely to slash prices. Well, the town slims down to less than 900 after the tourist season and some of the shops close, so the pickings were fairly decent and I picked up a pillow for $3 less in Skagway than the same outlet store was selling it for in Ketchikan.

We boarded the ship and took a nap back in our cabin. I love those vacation naps! After we went for a walk around the ship and wound up, by accident, participating in a British Pub trivia game. The first trivia game we have ever participated in on a cruise ship and we came in second. Okay, there were only three teams competing but the ship on a stick is still highly prized as our first ship award. :D

Tomorrow I will start on Day 5 of our Alaskan cruise. Juneau may have been our favorite stop, but it is hard to choose between Tracy Arm and the White Pass Railroad. It was all beautiful and fabulous! :)

How neat are these photos. I have been considering when to book Alaska...if my PVP was working this late I would be calling to book NOW lol. The photos of the boat in front of the glacier are just crazy! I never knew they were so large!

The glaciers are remarkable. I'm so glad you are enjoying the review. I underestimated how much time it takes to get the photos and review posted. Replies like yours give me the energy to keep going. It is also fun to relive the cruise. I want to go again! :)

The glaciers are remarkable. I'm so glad you are enjoying the review. I underestimated how much time it takes to get the photos and review posted. Replies like yours give me the energy to keep going. It is also fun to relive the cruise. I want to go again! :)

Keep them comin :D its getting me pumped up to try something different then our usual warm water cruises. So on this cruise you did...do you feel one side of the ship was better then the other for the views?

Keep them comin :D its getting me pumped up to try something different then our usual warm water cruises. So on this cruise you did...do you feel one side of the ship was better then the other for the views?

I did not see as many whales as those who had the aft wrap or were on the port side, however, I'm pretty sure the whales don't prefer one side to the other :p

Let me ask two fellow CC'ers who each had one of the aft wrap suites, one on the starboard and one on the port side of the ship. I'll get back to you...

Terry and I had dinner as usual in the MDR followed by another stop at the Punchline Comedy Club. We had already seen Merl Hobbs so we went back to see Tom McGillen’s PG rated show. I chuckled here and there, but not enough to go back. There were a couple of jokes at the end that probably went over the younger ones in the audience and would keep me from the R rated show. I thought Merl Hobbs did a better job keeping the show PG.

Majestic and Awesome

About 11:30 I was out on the balcony and saw the only night sky of this cruise that was full of stars, and I mean magnificently full of stars. I’ve only seen a sky like these a few times in my life and this was breathtaking. I prayed, went in and got a coat to go on top of my robe, and went back out for another 15 minutes or so. It was chilly, especially with the wind generated from the ship’s speed. This was a special night. I went back in the cabin and wrote in my journal for a moment before going to sleep with the curtain open so that I could still see out the night sky some.

Please turn off the light

This brings me to another tip that might be worth a thread of it’s own later on. Please make sure your balcony light is off when you go to bed at night (if you have a balcony, of course J) The cabin stewards close the drapes so people coming in and not opening their curtains may not realize the light is on. The night sky I describe above is diminished when the balconies lights are on.

Of course, if you are out on the balcony reading or something and want your light on, that is completely your affair. I’m referring to when I have gone out on our balcony late at night, or in the wee morning hours around 3:30 of 4:00 a.m., and the balcony next to me had their light on. I realized the next night that it was still on and figured they might not even be aware of it. Anyway, please turn off the light if you are not out on the balcony using the light.

Next post will be tonight and we will start with Juneau.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking so much time to publish this review with so many pictures. It is just wonderful.

Since we are cruising in early May I am guessing our weather will be similar to yours and will plan my wardrobe accordingly.

Did many people REALLY dress up at night. We've done the tux-formal gown thing in the past and are thinking more dress pants and a nice blouse (for me) to help keep packing to a minimum.

Also another question, if I may. Are all the "drinks of the day" the same as on the Caribbean route? Thought they may have some specials that didn't come across so "foo-fooey".

Thanks again for all your work. As a future Alaska cruiser I'm loving it.;)

I did not see as many whales as those who had the aft wrap or were on the port side, however, I'm pretty sure the whales don't prefer one side to the other :p

Let me ask two fellow CC'ers who each had one of the aft wrap suites, one on the starboard and one on the port side of the ship. I'll get back to you...

We had the aft wrap Port Side and our BF had the aft wrap Starboard...so we bounced back and forth from side to side. Whichever we thought at the time had the best sightings :D. I'm sorry I don't think I could pick a side in particular.

On the day in Juneau, we had eaten so much Salmon on our daytime excursion, that we didnt go to dinner, and luckily not, as we were entertained by at least 50 whale sightings. Fabulous!!!

I am not sure there is a "better side or not." We did spend some time on the aft wrap decks in Tracy Arm, and anywhere you looked was awesome. Actually I felt it was the best part of the trip. We were in awe. We did have a port side cabin and saw many whales. While we were in Frederickson Sound we saw as many as 50-60 humpbacks at one time. The naturalist estimated over 500 whales in the pod. Saw a couple of them breach, and a mother/calf right by the ship. In Skagway we had an eagle perched just outside our cabin the entire time.

Can't tell you how much I appreciate your taking so much time to publish this review with so many pictures. It is just wonderful.

Since we are cruising in early May I am guessing our weather will be similar to yours and will plan my wardrobe accordingly.

Did many people REALLY dress up at night. We've done the tux-formal gown thing in the past and are thinking more dress pants and a nice blouse (for me) to help keep packing to a minimum.

Everyone at our table for nine dressed on Elegant Night, however, only seven of the nine showed for dinner. I don't think I saw any tuxes. All the men at our table wore suits and the ladies wore either cocktail attire or semi formal. The second Elegant Night, fewer dressed in suits and semi formal or cocktail dresses for dinner, but we did. Terry wore his suit without a tie and I wore a cocktail pant suit thing.

As always, you will see a variety of dress and I had heard that the Alaskan cruise was less formal than others. It seemed about the same number dressed up as I saw on our Caribbean cruises. Maybe it is an older crowd in Alaska in September or May, when school is in session. That might make a difference.

Also another question, if I may. Are all the "drinks of the day" the same as on the Caribbean route? Thought they may have some specials that didn't come across so "foo-fooey".

Thanks again for all your work. As a future Alaska cruiser I'm loving it.;)

I only had one drink of the day this cruise and it was definitely something more tropical than I would expect. It was the Sunday when we were leaving wet and cold Ketchikan. I should have asked for an Irish coffee :rolleyes:

Three times we had something called the Tiramisu. It has almost every liquor imaginable made with rum. The second time we had it made, I asked for vodka instead of rum for the main liquor and I liked it better.

I'm so glad you are enjoying the review. I love reading them, too, and the pictures have always helped me decide what I want to do.

Those Canadian Customs Agents sure look a whole lot more spiffy than our guys.

I should have put a caption on the photo. :p Those were not Canadian Customs, those were conductors from the train. I thought about taking a picture of the customs officer who came through the train, but I thought better of it.

We had the aft wrap Port Side and our BF had the aft wrap Starboard...so we bounced back and forth from side to side. Whichever we thought at the time had the best sightings :D. I'm sorry I don't think I could pick a side in particular.

On the day in Juneau, we had eaten so much Salmon on our daytime excursion, that we didnt go to dinner, and luckily not, as we were entertained by at least 50 whale sightings. Fabulous!!!

Thank you for the reply. You two had a great set up with those two cabins. Awesome!

It may be Wednesday before I can pick up the review again, but I will try some tomorrow night.

Our police officer son was in a very bad auto accident Monday night at work. We are thanking God that he was able to go home from the hospital to his wife and baby. He has some nasty abrasions to his nose and forehead, along with other minor things, and he is going to be sore for a few days. The car is totaled and crushed in up to where Michael was sitting. It was a scary night and we have just arrived home at 2:35 a.m., so the review will have to wait another day.

Juneau is on the way and I have good pictures waiting to post. Kiss your loved ones and have a blessed Tuesday everyone. ;) I will! :)

It may be Wednesday before I can pick up the review again, but I will try some tomorrow night.

Our police officer son was in a very bad auto accident Monday night at work. We are thanking God that he was able to go home from the hospital to his wife and baby. He has some nasty abrasions to his nose and forehead, along with other minor things, and he is going to be sore for a few days. The car is totaled and crushed in up to where Michael was sitting. It was a scary night and we have just arrived home at 2:35 a.m., so the review will have to wait another day.

Juneau is on the way and I have good pictures waiting to post. Kiss your loved ones and have a blessed Tuesday everyone. ;) I will! :)

Jenny glad to hear that your son is ok. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Jenny, we are so glad to hear that your son is ok following his accident. Someone must have been watching over him!:)

Thanks everyone for your prayers and kind comments about Michael. I just love CC because of people just like you. Michael is at home healing for a couple of days. His wife, Jessica, stayed home from work with him yesterday. He is sore and his normally handsome forehead is going to take some time to heal with the cuts and nasty abrasions, but he is in one piece and we are so grateful. God is so good to us. We said we have done the dry run for the police officer taken to the hospital bit, so we don't need to do it again! :)

On to Juneau, or should I say, back to Juneau! :D

Archived