Tip for any serious TEA drinkers!!!

ladylemondrop

Just a little tip following our first cruise on Solstice - Celebrity tea bags are Lipton, (not my favourite) if you are a serious tea drinker as we are, take some PG tips or Twinings with you, and if you call room service for tea, dont ask them for biscuits (to dunk - we are british) they sent us a box of "fruit loops" (american cereal!) very funny!!!

We are on Celebrity constellation next, 23rd October, if anyone wishes to enjoy a proper cup of tea see me!!!

We are on Celebrity constellation next, 23rd October, if anyone wishes to enjoy a proper cup of tea see me!!!

Tea is now being served in Louise1809 cabin, to observe Tea etiquette, supplies of digestive buscuits will be supplied for dunking !! :) Those wishing to participate in this 'British' pastime should add their names to the roll call or contact Louise1809 direct. :D

I inherited my love of tea from my Irish grandmother, who was raised by her English aunt. I loved that RCCL installed tea pots in each cabin on IOS for our last TA cruise. I've been bringing my own tea bags for years on ships because I enjoy a digestive tea after all those heavy meals. I also fell in love with the digestive biscuits that RCCL carried on both our TA cruises. I recently began mixing/blending my own teas and filling the bags myself after purchasing the loose leaves at Tevana. A serious tea drinker knows all the tricks of never leaving home without it :)

Happy cruising.....Joanne

and if you call room service for tea, dont ask them for biscuits (to dunk - we are british) they sent us a box of "fruit loops" (american cereal!) very funny!!!

Two countries divided by a common language!

Even with the right teabags, it is still hard to get them to understand that the water must be boiling!

Sue

Always take my Sainsburys' Gold Label. In desperation, if I need to use the ship's bags, you need at least two to make something of a decent strength; they are truly dreadful.

On the subject of biscuits, we were once confused by something labelled "biscuits and gravy" which looked like scones served with a cream coloured gravy, served for breakfast I think.

how do you manage to get "boiling" water on a ship? Do you bring an electric kettle? I'd imagine they'd be restricted because of fire hazard. Usually if you ask for boiling water you get a pot with luke warm water. My husband and I enjoy tea made properly (he comes from a British family). We just don't bother on the ships and drink coffee instead because it's such a let down. ;)

Thanks for the info. I usually bring my own tea bags in case I'm disappointed in the selection. Since we're taking a five day land tour in southwest England before our Oct. 31st TA from Southampton I'll buy some tea in one of the grocery stores along the way.

how do you manage to get "boiling" water on a ship? Do you bring an electric kettle? I'd imagine they'd be restricted because of fire hazard. Usually if you ask for boiling water you get a pot with luke warm water. My husband and I enjoy tea made properly (he comes from a British family). We just don't bother on the ships and drink coffee instead because it's such a let down. ;)

You ask them to put the teabags in at the point the water is poured. e.g. if you have a pot of tea delivered in suite for breakfast, tell them that to put the teabas in and then add the [hopefully] boiling water. If you do not ask for this, they will deliver the hot water in a pot and the teabags separate. If you are really lucky, the person making the tea is from India and understands!!!!!

Sue

Just a little tip following our first cruise on Solstice - Celebrity tea bags are Lipton, (not my favourite) if you are a serious tea drinker as we are, take some PG tips or Twinings with you, and if you call room service for tea, dont ask them for biscuits (to dunk - we are british) they sent us a box of "fruit loops" (american cereal!) very funny!!!

My great grandfather hails from ipswich...wish he were alive today to read this, he would get a laugh.

He taught me to drink tea...and beer...;)

You ask them to put the teabags in at the point the water is poured. e.g. if you have a pot of tea delivered in suite for breakfast, tell them that to put the teabas in and then add the [hopefully] boiling water. If you do not ask for this, they will deliver the hot water in a pot and the teabags separate. If you are really lucky, the person making the tea is from India and understands!!!!!

Sue

Will they do this if ordering from room service? Probably if sitting around for too long it would then be stewed. Like you I ask for English breakfast tea and it is fine.

I always bring a packet of biscuits with me, or cookies should I say.

Love the fruit loops comment!

Thanks for the info. I usually bring my own tea bags in case I'm disappointed in the selection. Since we're taking a five day land tour in southwest England before our Oct. 31st TA from Southampton I'll buy some tea in one of the grocery stores along the way.

Try Sainsbury's Assam, it's great! A dear friend (from CC) got me hooked on it. I'll be picking some up for the TA. :)

Don't rat me out, but I bring one of those coils to heat my water to boiling. So far, knock on wood, it has not been taken up. As for it being a fire hazard, if you remove it from the cup while still plugged in for more than a few seconds, it "dies." Like busted, broke, won't work again. I once pulled out what I thought was its plug only to find later I had unplugged a charger instead. When I removed it, I put it on one of those paper thingees that cover the glasses. It did not burn the paper and my coil did not work again. You can buy them at Bed, Bath, and Beyond for about $7. Less with their never expiring coupon.

The biscuits and gravy are what you describe. Biscuits with cream gravy over them. Husband being a true Texan who loves his biscuits and gravy for breakfast said the gravy is the worst excuse for gravy he has ever put in his mouth. Wallpaper paste would be more appetizing.

Tucker in Texas

On my last cruise on Constellation the tea bags offered were from Twinings, not Lipton. I am European, not British (well, I have to amend that to say that although I am originally from Europe I consider myself 100% American and proud of it) and I love tea but have to say that Lipton is the worst tea I have ever tried and I would rather not have any tea than drink Lipton.

Will they do this if ordering from room service? Probably if sitting around for too long it would then be stewed.

Probably easier if you have a butler but my husband [the tea drinker] has also asked room service. However, it likes his tea strong and, if you like it weak, it may not work for you. Having said that, it is not always ready to drink when it arrives and he has to leave it to brew for longer.

Sue

i agree about the tea. lipton is bloody awful.

it also has to be brewed first and the milk goes in the cup before the tea is poured. PG Tips is the best and that's coming from a canadian. my mum is british, a yorkshire lass who takes her tea very seriously. we just went on an alaskan cruise and there was lipton in the buffet but twinnings in the dining room at supper. so she pinched extra packets of the twinnings and took it to breakfast in the buffet.

Archived