Day of Disembarkation - Royal Princess

banditoo

Does anyone have a good understanding of Princess disembarkation day in Papeete? We arrive during the night and our flight doesn't leave until the following night. I have read that Princess allows us to remain on the ship, eat and use ship facilities as most flights are late night. I believe we check out of our room per the usual as other passengers will be arriving for their first day (similar to our embarkation day). I am assuming we will have access to the buffet rather than dining room for dinner as they wouldn't be able to accommodate two groups of passengers in the dining room??? I believe our luggage all gets stored for the day but I assume we can keep day bags with us (?or store those too). Do we have access to shower facilities as after a day in the heat, touring, swimming etc. it would be nice to shower before the long overnight flight. I have also heard something to the effect that if we leave the ship that day such as to do a tour or visit Papeete, we cannot reboard the ship. Is this correct?

Also wondering if there is any advantage to using Princes transportation to the airport that day or doing it on our own. We usually arrange our own as it is usually more economical and flexible, but I see on my cruise personalizer, it shows us with Princess transport from ship to airport. Given the unusual circumstances of being able to stay on the ship this final day in port, is there any reason why it would be preferable to take ship transport? Can anyone confirm or correct my understanding or provide further detail? I would appreciate any info any of you have first hand or have discovered from others.

Does anyone have a good understanding of Princess disembarkation day in Papeete? We arrive during the night and our flight doesn't leave until the following night. I have read that Princess allows us to remain on the ship, eat and use ship facilities as most flights are late night. I believe we check out of our room per the usual as other passengers will be arriving for their first day (similar to our embarkation day). I am assuming we will have access to the buffet rather than dining room for dinner as they wouldn't be able to accommodate two groups of passengers in the dining room??? I believe our luggage all gets stored for the day but I assume we can keep day bags with us (?or store those too). Do we have access to shower facilities as after a day in the heat, touring, swimming etc. it would be nice to shower before the long overnight flight. I have also heard something to the effect that if we leave the ship that day such as to do a tour or visit Papeete, we cannot reboard the ship. Is this correct?

Also wondering if there is any advantage to using Princes transportation to the airport that day or doing it on our own. We usually arrange our own as it is usually more economical and flexible, but I see on my cruise personalizer, it shows us with Princess transport from ship to airport. Given the unusual circumstances of being able to stay on the ship this final day in port, is there any reason why it would be preferable to take ship transport? Can anyone confirm or correct my understanding or provide further detail? I would appreciate any info any of you have first hand or have discovered from others.

You seem to have most of the process understood, with one exception.

You will vacate your stateroom by 8:00 AM so they can be cleaned and ready for the next passengers to board (around noon). Your main luggage will be placed outside your door the night you arrive in Papeete (everything but your carry on). If you plan to take a taxi, you will receive a different luggage tag as those bags are kept seperately under the tent on the pier. You will claim your luggage before leaving for the aiport on the pier.

In the AM you can check your carry on at Sterlings Steakhouse for the day so you don't have to lug it around with you. It can be claimed in time to change and freshen up before your flight home.

You will then have access to the ship and the buffet, which will be serving all day (not the dining room), and ships public rooms throughout the day, and last year even the slot machines were open for entertainment. You can come and go as you please until evening when the passengers will be transported to the aiport. If you leave the ship for a tour, you can reboard as usual with no problem.

As for showers, the only option you will have is to visit the Spa (hopefully they will be open again this year as they were last year. But in previous years they were closed on turnaround day, so that was not an option). You can use the spa showers (again if the spa is open), but that is your only option to showers besides the one next to the pool (open air). You must check in with the spa staff, and make sure not to wait until the last minute as once the word gets out, they can get very crowded.

Your choice whether to take the ships transportation to the airport or grab a taxi. The taxi is slightly cheaper, but they can at times be a bit difficult to find in the evening. Although a taxi can be taken earlier to the airport to avoid the long lines, it will just mean more time standing at the airport waiting for them to open the gates (as they only open so many hours before flight time) or getting through security and check in and waiting in chairs. Keep in mind, unless you are booked in business or first class, the airport waiting area is not air conditioned and can become a bit stuffy with hundreds of people waiting.

I hope that supplied you with the information you were looking for. ;)

Toto2Kansas,

I seem to recall last time I was on TP, the dinner room was available for dinner on the departure date. I seem to recall that dining was open seating on the first day for the arriving people. Has this also been your experience?

Toto2Kansas,

I seem to recall last time I was on TP, the dinner room was available for dinner on the departure date. I seem to recall that dining was open seating on the first day for the arriving people. Has this also been your experience?

I don't ever remember being able to have dinner in the dining room that last evening onboard. We have always been instructed to visit the buffet on the last day/evening. Now, the dining room may be available for lunch that day (all I remember is that we have always been instructed that the buffet was for disembarking passengers, the dining room for those embarking), but the dining room open for dinner to those leaving the ship, not in our experience.

Transfers to the airport began last fall between 5-5:30 for the first group, and we left about 6:15 in the third of forth group (for the later flight). This alone would limit the time needed for the dining room which doesn't even open until 6-6:30 for early seating.

I don't ever remember being able to have dinner in the dining room that last evening onboard. We have always been instructed to visit the buffet on the last day/evening. Now, the dining room may be available for lunch that day (all I remember is that we have always been instructed that the buffet was for disembarking passengers, the dining room for those embarking), but the dining room open for dinner to those leaving the ship, not in our experience.

Transfers to the airport began last fall between 5-5:30 for the first group, and we left about 6:15 in the third of forth group (for the later flight). This alone would limit the time needed for the dining room which doesn't even open until 6-6:30 for early seating.

Thanks. Makes sense and you have much more recent experience. Poor memory on my part I suspect. It is nice that you can stay on the ship. The first time I cruised in this area, I was on one of the R ships. They took us all to a hotel.

I am on the earlier flight and I am flying business class (using miles). Would you still recommend that I use the ship transfers?

Thanks. Makes sense and you have much more recent experience. Poor memory on my part I suspect. It is nice that you can stay on the ship. The first time I cruised in this area, I was on one of the R ships. They took us all to a hotel.

I am on the earlier flight and I am flying business class (using miles). Would you still recommend that I use the ship transfers?

If you are flying business class, I would probably take a taxi and get to the airport early. That way you can go to the Air Conditioned lounge upstairs and relax until your flight.

You might check when you arrive to see how many hours they open the check in before the flight (as I can not remember, sorry), that would give you a better idea of the time to arrive so you have a shorter wait time to check in before the buses begin arriving. ;)

Can you also leave the ship and reboard if you just want to walk around one last time or do some last minute shopping ?

You can come and go all day if you wish, no problem at all. Shop, walk around, take a tour (either private or from the ship), your cruise card will still be valid to give you access to come back onboard until the evening hours when the ship is cleared of all passengers disembarking. :)

If you are flying business class, I would probably take a taxi and get to the airport early. That way you can go to the Air Conditioned lounge upstairs and relax until your flight.

You might check when you arrive to see how many hours they open the check in before the flight (as I can not remember, sorry), that would give you a better idea of the time to arrive so you have a shorter wait time to check in before the buses begin arriving. ;)

Thanks. That is exactly what we did last time to avoid some of the crowd. We arrived and departed from Papeete. This time we board in Hawaii and depart from Papeete. Last time we had to wait for the lounge to open, but we beat the crowds to the airport.

• 4 weeks later...

Since we just returned from Papeete, I will reconfirm that returning from the Papeete airport is the absolute worst part of cruising in the F.P.

If you are on the 10 PM flight, you cannot check in until 7PM. It is 8:30 PM for the 11:30 PM flight. They actually started the first part of the check in at around 6:45 PM, but then you just wait in line to actually check in with the agent. The Royal Princess transfers started at 6:15 PM. We took a cab for 2000 FP francs for two people.

Once we checked in and gave them our checked luggage we had to stand in another line at immigration until one hour before boarding was to start which was opened at 8:15 for our 10 PM flight. We had no idea when it was to open because it was not posted. Of course you do not need to stand in line, but you would then did to got to the back of a long line. I do not know for sure that this is the standard process, but it was the process this week. As I recall it was similar the last two times that I left the airport.

Security was very tight. They X rayed each bag, frisked each person, and manually checked every hand carry. Do not carry even small scissors as they were much stricter than the U.S. TSA. We were flying Business class and we were the first people to check in and we only had 45 minutes in the really nice Business/First Class lounge. Most people did not come to the lounge because there was no time by the time that they cleard security.

There we only two people at immigration and most people in line were hot and annoyed. I am sure that the people at the end of the line were worried about making the flight, but I am confident that they would not have allowed anyone to miss the flight. This is probably the reason that the people on the 2nd flight at 11:30 cannot check in until 8:30, so that the first group can at least be in line first to clear security. Of course the flights were fully booked with one ship arriving the previous day and our ship on this day.

I found it interesting that they took my DW's small knitting scissors that have been all over the world and then used full size metal knifes and forks with the meal service in Business Class.

By the way, the cruise was an outstanding experience. Every thing was excellent. We cruised Hawaii to Papeete. I will strongly consider going the opposite direction next time just to avoid having to depart the Papeete airport. My two previous cruises involved arriving into Papeete and it was not a problem.

More on the great cruise later on a different thread. I just wanted to share the timing experience of our departure.

Wear comfortable cool clothes, bring water, and be prepared to stand in lines.

Since we just returned from Papeete, I will reconfirm that returning from the Papeete airport is the absolute worst part of cruising in the F.P.

If you are on the 10 PM flight, you cannot check in until 7PM. It is 8:30 PM for the 11:30 PM flight. They actually started the first part of the check in at around 6:45 PM, but then you just wait in line to actually check in with the agent. The Royal Princess transfers started at 6:15 PM. We took a cab for 2000 FP francs for two people.

Once we checked in and gave them our checked luggage we had to stand in another line at immigration until one hour before boarding was to start which was opened at 8:15 for our 10 PM flight. We had no idea when it was to open because it was not posted. Of course you do not need to stand in line, but you would then did to got to the back of a long line. I do not know for sure that this is the standard process, but it was the process this week. As I recall it was similar the last two times that I left the airport.

Security was very tight. They X rayed each bag, frisked each person, and manually checked every hand carry. Do not carry even small scissors as they were much stricter than the U.S. TSA. We were flying Business class and we were the first people to check in and we only had 45 minutes in the really nice Business/First Class lounge. Most people did not come to the lounge because there was no time by the time that they cleard security.

There we only two people at immigration and most people in line were hot and annoyed. I am sure that the people at the end of the line were worried about making the flight, but I am confident that they would not have allowed anyone to miss the flight. This is probably the reason that the people on the 2nd flight at 11:30 cannot check in until 8:30, so that the first group can at least be in line first to clear security. Of course the flights were fully booked with one ship arriving the previous day and our ship on this day.

I found it interesting that they took my DW's small knitting scissors that have been all over the world and then used full size metal knifes and forks with the meal service in Business Class.

By the way, the cruise was an outstanding experience. Every thing was excellent. We cruised Hawaii to Papeete. I will strongly consider going the opposite direction next time just to avoid having to depart the Papeete airport. My two previous cruises involved arriving into Papeete and it was not a problem.

More on the great cruise later on a different thread. I just wanted to share the timing experience of our departure.

Can't wait to hear about your trip!!

Thanks for all the great departure information.

Things must have tightened up since last fall when we flew out of Papeete. My hubby didn't even remove his liquids from his carry on, and they passed him right through the scanners. We didn't have to remove our shoes, and we didn't see anyone hand searched at all, not even any carry ons. It was probably the loosest security that I had ever seen last October. And I must admit, it made me a little nervous that it was so very relaxed flying into the USA.

Looks like we will need to prepare for the worst this March, just in case. One thing we have found standing in the long lines that last evening to check in, is that you have to go with a good frame of mind. You need to try to just roll with the flow and not get upset. Even though it is not the best check in procedure, if you think this is bad, you should have seen it years ago before they upgraded the airport, now that was actually pretty frightening. :eek: There were only a few dozen chairs in the entire check in and boarding area, and most had to just sit on the floor.

Although this isn't the most organized airport (by far) that I have ever seen, it is 100% better now that it used to be. Check in at least has a civilized line now, where it used to be more of less just a free for all.

Again, thanks for the heads up.

Hi!

I just want to make sure I understand this right. Our cruise arrives back into Papeete on March 2nd and it says disembarkation at 7am on March 3rd. Our flight does not leave until almost midnight on the third. Am I allowed to stay on the ship until evening on March 3rd. Thank you so much for the clarification!

Brook

Hi!

I just want to make sure I understand this right. Our cruise arrives back into Papeete on March 2nd and it says disembarkation at 7am on March 3rd. Our flight does not leave until almost midnight on the third. Am I allowed to stay on the ship until evening on March 3rd. Thank you so much for the clarification!

Brook

Yes, see post number 2 in this thread as the details are there.

We've been on several of these FP ccruises but have never stayed aboard beyond the early morning--usually we have a post cruise stay or we leave very earlly--like last year @ 4 am to go to the airport--we usually travel Air France--

I never take the bus with the rest of the crowd if I can avoid it--especially at FAA'a--I prefer to get ahead of the others and sit in the airport rather than kicking my luggage ahead of me for a couple of hours outside without a/c--I don't like to struggle against a who bus full of folks and their luggage--I hope to be jusst ahead of them--we've done this a lot of times--not always with success--but you learn the hard way.

Nancy:D

Nancy....when you traveled Air France and left for the airport at 4am..was it for the 8:30am flight?

How long did it take you to get to the airport, and was it crowded when you arrived?

We will be on that flight but thought we would leave for airport at 5 or 5:30 am ...too late?

Thanks, Sue

Nancy....when you traveled Air France and left for the airport at 4am..was it for the 8:30am flight?

How long did it take you to get to the airport, and was it crowded when you arrived?

We will be on that flight but thought we would leave for airport at 5 or 5:30 am ...too late?

Thanks, Sue

I guess all of this timing is your own comfort level----well--last fall we tried leaving at 4 am--we drug out luggage down to the open gangway--looking for the two that had promised us a taxi--no one was in sight--we passed the desk then somehow got to the 3rdf loor and then followed vooices of those on watch at the gangway--Nothing happened as rapidly as I am writing----we actually believed--up to a point --that what was promised would actually occur--we waitied around for a while and then started hoofing it to the gate at the pier--maybe something good was there--a cab, maybe--a small van, maybe??? There had been oodles of ideas and promisses during the time we were aboard--we did find a large van with someone sleeping in it as I remember--A lady who had something to do with the van went out to the street to hail us a cab--very nice of her--this was the side street--and it worked--

honestly I can't remember how crowded the airport was--the only line I cared about was Air France--they are not open when they are not ready to check in--it's amazing hot there at night no AC--just check in and if allowed go upstairs and get comfortable until time to board--No mmatter what airport, what country--I don't want to be late--normally we are early--as the time gets closer the hotels will be ring guests to the airport--but Air France was always full --but there is really a crown when ATN passengers show up--even then you don't want to hop on the bus--you want to get there sooner--big crowds--not for me--unless I'm in the front of the big crowd.

Thanks Nancy..I understand completely what you mean about getting to the airport early. I am the same way! Unfortunately my husband is not.

Thanks to you, I saw your post a few monthes ago about not being able to find a cab, and because of that have arranged for private transportation to the airport that am.

Now whether or not they actually show up is another story.

The Air France is full that am except for a handful of available seats, and my husband is convienced a large number are those coming from the Royal.

Anyway, I will plan to get to the airport EARLY, and what will be will be.

Thanks for sharing your experiences..it has been very helpful.

Sue

Thanks Nancy..I understand completely what you mean about getting to the airport early. I am the same way! Unfortunately my husband is not.

Thanks to you, I saw your post a few monthes ago about not being able to find a cab, and because of that have arranged for private transportation to the airport that am.

Now whether or not they actually show up is another story.

The Air France is full that am except for a handful of available seats, and my husband is convienced a large number are those coming from the Royal.

Anyway, I will plan to get to the airport EARLY, and what will be will be.

Thanks for sharing your experiences..it has been very helpful.

Sue

Sue

When is your cruise ???? Could you give me the name of the company that you are using ?? would certainly appreciate it. we will be going next February and returning home on the same flight mid March. I'm really interested to finding out how this works for you.

As for your husbands belief that most of the passengers would be coming off the Royal--at least last fall coming off the Pacific Princess--only us and one other couple.--that we say later at the waiting area upstairs.

The folks at the Customer Service desk tried to set up a van or something for those going on Air France--no interest---seems that most of the pax fly ATN since that is what Princess uses and maybe lack of knowledge of AF--We were in Paris a few years ago waiting for an

AF plane to LAX when I read on the sign that it was continuing on to Papeete. It seems to me that most of the time your fellow passengers fly to and from Paris-Papeete--not just LAX Papeete.

We flew ATN once before we found AF and Princess had bought up all the seats so that was the only time we flew Princess Air--we were able to upgrade at LAX.

AF works great for us since normally when we arrive we take an inter island Air Tahiti plane to Bora Bora--we won't be doing that on our February/March cruise next year.

Please give me your information--can't wait to see how it works--keeping my fingers crossed for you !!!! Thanks in advance for the information regarding your--Limo, Van or whatever to the airport. We have planned to book our own transportation this time, also--just don't quite know where or how.

Lol...that shot my husbands theory down.

I am unable to give you the name of the travel place I went thru on this board, but if you send me your e-mail address, I will send you a note when I get home and let you know how it worked out.

We have arranged all our transport from them..airport to ferry, ferry to hotel on Moorea, motel to ferry to go back to Papeete, including all ferry tickets, and ship to airport.

We normally research and find things out for ourselves, but this being the first time in FP, I wanted it to be as stress free as possible. The travel agency set up my hotel also...I wouldn't have done it that way, but I picked where I wanted to go, checked on line rates first, and felt they Quoted us a good rate so went with them. Hopefully it will all work out fine.

I did hear that FP is on their own time, no one is rushed, and they abide by a very loose time schedule. Problem is I'm from NY so it seems that EVERYONE is on a more relaxed schedule than we are. After traveling I'm used to that now. I go with the flow...

My cruise is on October 26th this year, on the Royal Princess in less than 2 weeks.

Think I have everything in place now, except for the actual packing.

I will def. let you know how it goes, and let you decide if you want the name of the place or not that arranged everything for me.

I will tell you they are using a well know company on Tahiti and another well know name on Moorea, so I feel confident about that.

In any event...have a great time planning and dreaming in the meanwhile.

Again, thanks for your input,

Sue

PS..how many times have you been to Tahiti?

We've been to FP a half dozen times or more--we have a b2b planned for Feb/March and the 28 day RT Lax /Tahiti--next year. I take it you aren't living in New York any longer--we visit NYC at least once a year or more--twice so far this year--total theatre nuts--we usually stay in Time Square--happy with all the visible police/dogs and whatever--There were even bomb sniffing dogs in the Marriott Marquis--makes me feel good--I like it. NanFreezeataoldotcom

Have a great trip--have you been before ???

Can't wait to hear about your cruise and stay in Moorea.

Archived