Cell Phone Rental

2910car

I rented a phone several years ago (2001) from Planetfone (web site here: http://www.planetfone.com/).

They sent the phone to me via Fedex to arrive a day or so before I left, and it came with a prepaid Fedex envelope to send it back in when I returned.

There are several companies that provide this service. Also, if you are a Verizon customer, I think they provide phones for their customers to use in Europe.

if your carrier is verizon they have a global traveler program-they will lend you a GSM phone-point your us number to it and just add the charges to your regular bill. I had one for three weeks this summer-9.99 for fex ex shipping of the phone, 50 cents a piece for incoming texts and 5 cents for out going-4.99 for the global dialing plan -99 cents a minute for calls in italy france and spain-1.49 in greece and turkey. those are pretty reasonable for international cell calls.

if your carrier is verizon they have a global traveler program-they will lend you a GSM phone-point your us number to it and just add the charges to your regular bill. I had one for three weeks this summer-9.99 for fex ex shipping of the phone, 50 cents a piece for incoming texts and 5 cents for out going-4.99 for the global dialing plan -99 cents a minute for calls in italy france and spain-1.49 in greece and turkey. those are pretty reasonable for international cell calls.

I got that from Verizon, too. Loved it! So convenient!

When we toured Italy, we purchased an unlocked quad-band GSM phone online (Overstock), then purchased a SIM card from CellularAbroad. This turned out to be quite affordable and easy to use. You can also purchase SIM cards when you arrive in Italy, but we wanted the convenience of being able to use the phone once we landed in Rome. If you are planning to do a lot of international travel in the future, this may be more affordable than renting a phone (our phone was $50, pretty basic but it makes phone calls and that's all we wanted).

A lot depends on how often you travel to Europe and plan to use the phone. Verizon will lend you one for free. I use an EKIT Passport SIM card in an unlocked GSM cell phone.

Telestial is a good place to buy a world phone and a SIM card. (You can also buy them on the EKIT site. Telestial has a good deal going now on a basic phone.

Kit V520 + Passport Lite SIM Card + $5 Airtime

"Telestial’s Pack Lite Travel Cell Phone promotion offers truly amazing value, combining a GSM 900/1800 dual band cell phone – the Kit V520 -, the Passport Lite Travel SIM Card and $5 of call credit – all for just $39! With coverage in over 100 countries, both a US and a UK mobile number and free to receive calls in popular travel destinations (such as Italy, France and the UK),

http://www.telestial.com/promo/packlite.php

I think Telestial uses the following on line discount codes:

SLOWTRAV 10% off

Frommers01 15% off

MYC10 10% off

As a new cruiser I have been looking for some information on this phone issue as we have to have "minimal" but necessary connection back to NC. We use Verizon so will check them out and I had seen the ClearAbroad. Let's just hope for once I get someone at Verizon with some knowledge!:)

Geomatics:

Verizon has a Global Web site that talks about free rentals and costs for calls and e-mails. Verizon charges more than if you use a local SIM card, but if you only use it a few times it's not too expensive. BTW... calls from the ship back to the US are $2.49 a minute on a Verizon home.

http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Global_Phone/

I used the Verizon rental phone in part because it was more convient for my family-verizon pointed my existing Denver phone number to the GSM phone meaning no one had to remember to use a different number for that period of time-and since the point of having the GSM phone was to make it possible for them to call me-not the other way round-it was the best solution.... for the person who said verizon is $2.49 a minute on the ship-ANY calls with ANY carrier are that much on ship-your US CDMA phone will work on the ships towers even in Europe-its just expensive.

I agree with Telestial or EKIT ( same company-different country) as a good GSM vendor-they also have excellent rates on international calling cards-i unforunately frequently have to make calls to cell phones in Iraq, Afghanistan and north Africa and prefer to use a telestial card for those calls as they have absolutely the best rates.

I called AT&T about using my phone while we are in Italy, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, etc. We were assured it would work fine and we would only incur the international roaming rate (varies from country to country, but basically from 1.29 to 2.49 per minute) They informed me that all I needed to do was dial o (not zero, but letter o) until I saw a plus sign; then dial 1 plus the area code and number here in the states. They have other options available using my husband's blackberry that required paying about $60 for an international data plan, but we decided to just use my phone to make the occasional quick call home and then use standard email to correspond when that option is convenient.

I keep reading here about phone rentals and the need to purchase a sim card upon arrival in Rome.....am I missing something or did AT&T steer me wrong?

Thanks.

I think AT&T gave you good information. As long as your phone will work in Europe, and you won't be making a lot of calls, just paying the roaming charge makes sense.

I used to rent phones ten years ago when my regular cell phone would not work in Europe.

Now I have an Italian SIM card, but that's only because I go there a couple of times each year and it makes sense for me because of calls within Italy.

One of my cousins used his AT&T phone on our cruise last year, he made a couple of calls and got one and all together it didn't amount to much.

Another company that has good deals on phones + time (worldwide) is Mobal found at http://www.mobal.com

Hank

I bought a MOBAL phone a few years ago and have been happy with it. Works in over 100 countries, no monthly fees, only pay for time used, permanent British phone number, etc. However, its "per minute" rate is higher than others. But, we only make a few calls a trip and then only for a few minutes at a time. We have it more so that we can do things like easily find a driver who said he'd meet us at a particular spot, or call the hotel, or check in at home, etc. If you talk a lot you should consider one of the other options mentioned in this thread.

Most GSM phones with SIM cards like and ATT or T-Mobile will work in Europe. Unless it's and old 2 band phone.

For infrequent calls, a loaner from Verizon or any ATT phone should work.

While Mobal has been around for a long time, their rates are generally very high compared to most SIM cards from Telestial. In fact, Mobal often costs more than ATT or Verizon. As an example, In Italy, Mobal charges $1.50 per minute to call the U.S. where Verizon charges between 99 cents and $1.29.

I think AT&T gave you good information. As long as your phone will work in Europe, and you won't be making a lot of calls, just paying the roaming charge makes sense.

I used to rent phones ten years ago when my regular cell phone would not work in Europe.

Now I have an Italian SIM card, but that's only because I go there a couple of times each year and it makes sense for me because of calls within Italy.

One of my cousins used his AT&T phone on our cruise last year, he made a couple of calls and got one and all together it didn't amount to much.

Thanks, Eurocruiser! We do plan to use the phone sparingly.

we used at&t last year. we take a notebook with us so this year we are going to use scype. you prepay any are charged for minutes used.

You will find that Skype is 'blocked' by a great majority of the cruise lines. It will not work, even when you are on the ship in port. You might find a wi-fi point somewhat away from the port where it will work.

Used it, and it worked great, a few years ago - no more. Blocked in the caribbean, blocked in the Baltic.

You will find that Skype is 'blocked' by a great majority of the cruise lines. It will not work, even when you are on the ship in port. You might find a wi-fi point somewhat away from the port where it will work.

Used it, and it worked great, a few years ago - no more. Blocked in the caribbean, blocked in the Baltic.

did't think of that. thanks

most high band width applications-like Skype and corporate VPNs are blocked on ships because the demand is high and satellite connections provide limited bandwidth. I would not count on any voice or voice and video over internet application to reach back home from a cruise ship.

Archived