Too Cool for School - Camp Carnival and Circle C

CowboysCoach

We are booked on the Carnival Glory on 11/21/10. We are sailing with our seven year old and eleven year old sons.

I know our seven year old will enjoy Camp Carnival. But our eleven year old rolls his eyes at being in Camp Carnival. I guess he thinks he's too cool or whatever but as we look at the activities lists it does seem that the Circle C activities are more suited ot his maturity level. The Camp Carnival activities seem a little babyish for him.

Can anyone relate their expereices with an older Camp Carnival age child and whether they enjoyed Camp Carnival or not? Thanks.

I think once he get there, and checks it out, he'll realize that it's not "baby daycare"....and when he sees that all the other kids his age are having fun, he'll most likely want to be a part of that.

Usually, it's the kids that are a bit older (14 and up) that think the clubs are "lame".

We are booked on the Carnival Glory on 11/21/10. We are sailing with our seven year old and eleven year old sons.

I know our seven year old will enjoy Camp Carnival. But our eleven year old rolls his eyes at being in Camp Carnival. I guess he thinks he's too cool or whatever but as we look at the activities lists it does seem that the Circle C activities are more suited ot his maturity level. The Camp Carnival activities seem a little babyish for him.

Can anyone relate their expereices with an older Camp Carnival age child and whether they enjoyed Camp Carnival or not? Thanks.

There is a lot of video time, scavenger hunts, ice cream/pizza making that my 11 yo likes. I think he had a better time with the structure of the Camp Carnival as compared to the Circle C. Of course, I gave him sign-in/out privileges, so if there was something he didn't want to do, he could sign out and go to the room or join me - no wandering allowed.

My daughter was 10 and enjoyed most of the activities, only one exception comes to mind (we sailed right after Thanksgiving and they tried to get all the kids to participate in a Christmas program to be performed in the main lounge...yeah, that was NOT going to happen). I'm not sure what "baby" things others are talking about...basic things like BINGO and foosball, decorating tshirts, playing lots of PS3 and Wii, dancing in the disco, etc. They followed what was listed in the Capers each time.

She actually wanted to go to Camp at every opportunity.

I sailed with a friend who's son was not at the age to be in Circle C yet. He went to Camp Carnival for a day and hated it. He ended up sulking that the kids his age socially were in a different club, so at some point he ended up in Circle C, don't know how, but he had a blast once he was there.

I sailed with a friend who's son was not at the age to be in Circle C yet. He went to Camp Carnival for a day and hated it. He ended up sulking that the kids his age socially were in a different club, so at some point he ended up in Circle C, don't know how, but he had a blast once he was there.

According to Carnival they are strict about age groupings. Any chance you can find out how he managed that?;)

The activities are scheduled/planned I think to appeal to the "majority" in every age group. Kids come in all shapes, sizes, maturity and other unique warts. I've seen my kids go from loving, hating to living in the supervised camps till closing. Most of their preference driven by their personal maturity/interest versus my preception of the listed activities. They always looked age appropriate and "fun" to me, but what do I know as a old and out of touch adult :D

Give it a go, and see what happens, but you also need to be clear if there is some expectation about whether you will be entertaining and supervising them all day.

Good luck

One thing that appealed to our 11 year old daughter was that the 9-11 year old group met in the disco for daytime activities rather than in the Camp area itself, which does look childish and is filled with little children.

Archived