Cruise Cancellations - What Happens to Crew?

Boolie

Probably a "dumb" question, but what happens to the crew when a cruise is cancelled for dry dock repairs for two weeks (NCL Gem 11/28 & 12/04)? Any of you experienced cruisers know if they just get vacation time, laid off, reassigned for the duration? My husband says it's none of my business. But I worked in the hospitality industry in the past and have always felt "protective" of those who work so hard and long so that folks like us can have repeated "times of our lives." We are on the GEM 12/11, first trip out after the "azipod repairs," so was just wondering. Thanks!!

Marsha

go to other vessel,usually a new contract, go home, take a vacation. some may stay to clean, and do other work set forth by the powers that be. I have a friends fron Brasov, Rom. who stayed in USA during DD, as opposed to staying and re-working the bars..then flew home for the rest of her vac..then a new contract DD is a planned event..usually and plans are made accordingly

Probably a "dumb" question, but what happens to the crew when a cruise is cancelled for dry dock repairs for two weeks (NCL Gem 11/28 & 12/04)? Any of you experienced cruisers know if they just get vacation time, laid off, reassigned for the duration? My husband says it's none of my business. But I worked in the hospitality industry in the past and have always felt "protective" of those who work so hard and long so that folks like us can have repeated "times of our lives." We are on the GEM 12/11, first trip out after the "azipod repairs," so was just wondering. Thanks!!

Marsha

From what I've read and heard, they stay on the ship and do the deep cleaning, etc. that they normally don't have time to do.

OP: For those scheduled off when the ship would turn around, they get off the ship and the new people sign on. Otherwise the crew stay onboard and are put to work re-organizing the ship as if it were just delivered. All silverware, glassware, plates, etc find their way back to the original restaurant from which they came from. Other crew members spend the time doing a top to bottom sanitization of the ship with wiping down everything from walls in the corridors to railings and commonly touched surfaces. Everyone's working during dry dock... maybe not as long of a shift as they would if passengers were onboard but they are still working and they still get their base salaries for the week. (Keep in mind crew members that rely on tips for most of their income really lose out though. :()

PS... This is for an un-scheduled drydock such as what the Jewel and Gem will be experiencing later this year. Scheduled ones usually have more of a crew turnover as the drydocks are longer and more work is being done onboard by contractors.

Thanks so much, Luckycruzer. I figured so, but was curious about these "unexpected" DD situations. Appreciate your reply.

Marsha

and the extent of repairs, not official DD, which is a planned -refit..ie: paint scrape, carpet, clean or replace, DR alterations ie: upper levels added, major engine/welding from a broke whatever. Last H'ween cruze..the intake pipe burst with a big bang on my ship..flooded 47 cabins..yep, one was mine..it was on deck 6,

we, on deck 5, we got e'thing off the floor, and went to bed, after alerting the desk..woke up to 2 inchs or so of water, got dressed, went to b'fast, and ashore. when we returned..voi la..new carpet..we were on a B2B, so we told them not to bother moving us. We got 2 lovley letter..stating 50% off that cruise, and 50% off another. That will be off my Magic Repo in '11, along w/my 2nd 1/2 being Milestones, so an OBC w/that, and an Interline rate..final cost of 16 dayz..$371 ! wow-za. So many spare parts are always on board , sometimes sailing may be delayed or a port missed BTDT, and an OBC for that too. I really dont mind any of these glitches, since I cri\uze so much each year ! hope this 'splains Lucy !

oh..this was the 3rd time our hotel/ship room was flooded due to leaky something ! CCL gave us the best treatment ever!

Even on an unscheduled drydock they find plenty of work for the crew to do. They usually have time for things like carpeting, upholstery material, etc, to be shipped to the port for a drydock. Lots of cleaning, painting, etc. takes place. They won't send crew to another ship for a week or so since it's not cost effective. Maybe if they are already scheduled to vacation they may send them home early but usually not.

This talk of hotel dept. crews doing work normally done by deck department, if true is interesting. While productivity is a wonderful thing, I didn't know union work rules would allow that.

Perhaps that is why all but the Pride of America are foreign registered.....?

Marsha

The Gem is not going into drydock for two weeks. The Jewel is going the week of 11/28 and the Gem is going the week of Dec 4th, each for one week. I'm on the 11/27 Gem cruise and so far it's not cancelled.

This talk of hotel dept. crews doing work normally done by deck department, if true is interesting. While productivity is a wonderful thing, I didn't know union work rules would allow that.

Perhaps that is why all but the Pride of America are foreign registered.....?

Union rules on a cruise ship ???:D

Archived