Port Vendres Excursions

JaneBP

A drawback of the Roll Calls is that one needs to post here for advice. Any suggestions for this port? I am wondering about hiring a car and driving to see Carcassone (from afar). Goes back to a French I poem, but that's along story.

I always read the Ports Forums, but what might tempt or appeal to a Carnival cruiser is not necessarily what might appeal to me. I want input from Seabourn cruisers, too because ome ports are not utilized by other cruise lines.

Coilloure is a beautiful town about 3 miles from Port Vendres. I spent almost every day of my summer there when I was 15. It has a typical Med stone beach, some lovely restaurants, painters, etc. The church and fortress are nothing special by EU standards, but worth a visit. It was a very quiet town, except during August when the Germans vacationed there.

See if you can see the Dance des Sardins. There is also a growing wine industry in the area. When I was there, they were only producing a table wine (in the old way). Perpingnan is also realatively close by. Banyuls is also a resort town with local flavor.

You will see the true Catalan, Southern France here. I fell in love and I hope you do to.

We will also be in Port Vendres - have been there before. It is quite a sweet little town, but Collioure is larger and prettier and more interesting. There is apparently a bus service and also a 'petit train' between the two towns (it is only a very few miles) but so far I have not been able to find anything out on the French website, as I am afraid often happens with the French!! However, there is a tourist office in Port Vendres, and we may hope that people will come on board with info. There will certainly not be any big ships there, almost certainly no other cruise ships.

We will also be in Port Vendres - have been there before. It is quite a sweet little town, but Collioure is larger and prettier and more interesting. There is apparently a bus service and also a 'petit train' between the two towns (it is only a very few miles) but so far I have not been able to find anything out on the French website, as I am afraid often happens with the French!! However, there is a tourist office in Port Vendres, and we may hope that people will come on board with info. There will certainly not be any big ships there, almost certainly no other cruise ships.

You may wish to look at Tripadvisor. There is some info about Port Vendres and more about Coulliere. And tips about car hire.

We visted Port Vendres and Coullioure on a Seabourn cruise some years ago. I recall Coullioure being delightful.

Also recommend a visit to Collioure - it has enough to keep you occupied for 2-3 hours (museum, shopping, wine tasting, cafes). Here is a link for the tourist train:

http://www.petit-train-touristique.com/_uk/collioure/index.html

If you take the little train, sit on the right side on the return or you will fry in the sun.

Thanks for the suggestions. I did look at Trip Advisor but like to get lots of input from different travelers. My only goal is to see if a 'road trip' to Carcassone is 'doable'. I don't need to go into the town, just want to see it from afar, as it were. Sort of a BTDT thing that only my HS French I amies might appreciate.

When I hire a car in the ports, I do it through Seabourn. As I am often alone, I want them to know where I am and with whom.

Also recommend a visit to Collioure - it has enough to keep you occupied for 2-3 hours (museum, shopping, wine tasting, cafes). Here is a link for the tourist train:

http://www.petit-train-touristique.com/_uk/collioure/index.html

If you take the little train, sit on the right side on the return or you will fry in the sun.

Johnny cruise - thanks so much for the info. re le petit train. Sadly, we are only in Port Vendres until 5 p.m., and in the autumn the first train from there is not until 14.40!! So we will probably try to find the bus, which almost certainly runs during the morning and reasonably frequently. And probably quite cheap, as French buses generally are.

Johnny cruise - thanks so much for the info. re le petit train. Sadly, we are only in Port Vendres until 5 p.m., and in the autumn the first train from there is not until 14.40!! So we will probably try to find the bus, which almost certainly runs during the morning and reasonably frequently. And probably quite cheap, as French buses generally are.

You can also take the train from Port Vendres to Collioure and back. The trip takes just 3 minutes.

Plug in your dates and times to this link to see the options:

http://www.voyages-sncf.com/billet-train/horaires/accueil?hid=8PH

Archived