Let's talk showers!

TinaLee

Okay, upcoming Zaandam cruise is my first HAL cruise, so bear with me. Having just sailed the Caribbean Princess in October, with what are without a doubt the smallest showers I have ever seen on any cruise ship, I've got to ask this one. How large are the showers? We have a regular-ole outside cabin (category E). I know the showers have bathtubs, and therein lies another area of concern. I'm fairly short (5'3") and round (never you mind) and I'm just coming off knee surgery. Am I going to be able to climb in there to take my shower?!? LOL!

Inquiring mind wants to know -

Thanks-

TinaLee

Okay, upcoming Zaandam cruise is my first HAL cruise, so bear with me. Having just sailed the Caribbean Princess in October, with what are without a doubt the smallest showers I have ever seen on any cruise ship, I've got to ask this one. How large are the showers? We have a regular-ole outside cabin (category E). I know the showers have bathtubs, and therein lies another area of concern. I'm fairly short (5'3") and round (never you mind) and I'm just coming off knee surgery. Am I going to be able to climb in there to take my shower?!? LOL!

Inquiring mind wants to know -

Thanks-

TinaLee

hi the bathrooms our fine not that small and the showers our vairly good in power and the tub as you call it is lower than your average bath so you should not have a problem geting in to it .

my mother has no problem and has very bad arthritis .

if you have concern i am shure hall would give you height of tub or send you photo of tub to reasure you .

hope this helps

Tina - The shower head is part of the bathtub, and having 2 bad knees I have trouble stepping into the tub because it is so deep. I sit on the side of, swing my legs over into the tub, hold on to one of the bars and stand up. When I am finished showering, I do the reverse - now I have no problems like I used to when trying to climb into that deep tub.

On the Westerdam, the tubs are not as deep so I had no problem stepping in.

hi the bathrooms our fine not that small and the showers our vairly good in power and the tub as you call it is lower than your average bath so you should not have a problem geting in to it .

my mother has no problem and has very bad arthritis .

if you have concern i am shure hall would give you height of tub or send you photo of tub to reasure you .

hope this helps

hi can send you photos of bathroom if you want but you would have to email me my address can be found by clicking on my name on the board .

hope this might be of help to you

hi can send you photos of bathroom if you want but you would have to email me my address can be found by clicking on my name on the board .

hope this might be of help to you

I'd love to see a photo - I clicked on your profile, but didn't see an email address. Mine is in my profile under 'occupation' - lol. Just put something in the subject line about the ship. Thanks so much for the offer!

Thanks everyone else for the advice as well. Might be a challenge, but I'm sure I'll manage it. At least I'll be off my crutches by then! Just not very speedy!!

TinaLee

Yes, Let's talk about showers on the ship. I am actually happy that the showers are with the tub and are fairly large not like on other cruise lines but I have one complaint. THE SHOWER HEADS. I really like everything about HAL but I think the shower heads are terrible. I cannot understand why they can give us such wonderful mattresses and the showers heads are just not that great. I would of thought when the Ryndam went thru SOE they would of replaced them but they were the same granted I have had worse but not in 4 star or above hotels. The water pressure is so strong coming out of the bathroom sink yet half the pressure in the shower. Then to get it figured out how to use:confused:

Also if any one from HAL is reading this we need better soap, possibly some nice refreshing liquid soap not those non sudsing little bars of soap.

I am hoping it will be different on the Westerdam.

Yes, Let's talk about showers on the ship. I am actually happy that the showers are with the tub and are fairly large not like on other cruise lines but I have one complaint. THE SHOWER HEADS. I really like everything about HAL but I think the shower heads are terrible. I cannot understand why they can give us such wonderful mattresses and the showers heads are just not that great. I would of thought when the Ryndam went thru SOE they would of replaced them but they were the same granted I have had worse but not in 4 star or above hotels. The water pressure is so strong coming out of the bathroom sink yet half the pressure in the shower. Then to get it figured out how to use:confused:

Also if any one from HAL is reading this we need better soap, possibly some nice refreshing liquid soap not those non sudsing little bars of soap.

I am hoping it will be different on the Westerdam.

Having had ACL surgery, I sympothize with you....not fun. But the sooner your up and around the better. Work that knee.

Lisa, I must say that I really enjoy reading your imputs. Never been on HAL. I noticed you have been on the Z and are experienced. Going on Z Dec 3 05. We are booked in a SS suite. Any comments on the 6th deck? Any tips on hotels in FLL B4? Also if you know of anything out of the ordinary excursion-wise. We booked the Sante Wellness Center in Roatan last year when we were on the Dream. Also did Cavetubing in Belize with Reggie's Tours.

Holland America (HAL) - has some modified accessible cabins that

have very large, walk-in showers; no bathtub. And they are not the fully handicap accessible cabins which should be booked only by those truly needing wheelchair accessibility. Otherwise, as stated above, the showers are usually in the bathtub, and it is pretty high. But the rim of the tub isn't too narrow, and as suggested, you can sit on the side of the tub and swing your legs over into the bathtub. There are grap bars.

With bad knees myself, and never having cruised before, I was contemplating taking a small non-skid bath mat for the tub. I can just see the ship swaying and me pitching headlong out of the shower if it's slippery :eek:

That's a real consideration. When I've been fortunate enough to have an outside cabin I've been very worried both standing in and exiting the tub.

I rough seas I have to hold on with one hand and wash with the other. Lowering and raising myself to take a bath brings it's own dangers when the ship is pitching and rolling.

The floor of the bathroom is lower than the bottom of the tub. When you go to step out---and the floor drops out from under you, can be scary indeed.

Inside cabins have showers. They are large enough to be comfortable, but still can't fall down.

have non skid mats for the bottom of the tub and have many solid hand rails at the proper height all around the tub. I have knee problems and have never had trouble getting in and out. Yes, the tubs are deep, and you may have to sit on the edge to swing your legs over but that has not been a problem for me. The problem is the width of the tubs, they are fairly narrow, even the whirlpool tubs on the R and S class in the suites. The Vista class have full size whirlpool tubs in I believe SS and higher, and a separate shower stall.

You do not have to have full range of motion to get in, out, or stand in the shower, sitting in the tub is another story.

GN

Grannynurse - the tub in our SS on the Westerdam was full length and lower than the other ships, thus I had no trouble stepping in/out of it like I do on the R & S ships. The separate shower stall is fairly narrow - I tried it one day, dropped the soap and had to practically step outside the stall to retrieve it. :D It's fine if you are skinny, but not so great if you are pleasingly plump. :D

Sitting in the tub certainly is another story - haven't done that for a very long time! :D

We had a large aft balcony on the "O" so I just filled up the water pitcher and bathed on deck ! Nice and breezy, plus you dry quickly.

But seriously, the bathroom was very good size. The tub was not too high for a short person lilke myself. Also the shower head was one of the new ones. It was strong enough to blast you out of the shower. The inside cabins have a large shower that you can walk into. The bathrooms on Hal are bigger than the ones we have had on Celebrity. One of the reasons we like to cruise Hal.

Archived