Minisuites location

califmamabear

We are sailing on the Ruby for a 7 night Caribbean cruise. We have sailed on Celebrity and Royal Caribbean but havent tried Princess as of yet. So looking forward to it! We opted for a minisuite as we would like the extra room. After reading the numerous posts about the great location of the minis on the Emerald deck we are sorry to say we are on the Dolphin deck. My question is why have an entire deck of minisuites with a location apparently nobody likes? The cabins on the Emerald deck were not available at the time of our reservation. Hope I will not be disappointed. Any fans of the Dolphin deck minis out there?

The only difference in the mini suites on Dolphin Deck vs Emerald Deck is that the minis on the Dolphin Deck have no cover over the balcony where the Emerald Deck minis have full cover over the balcony. We have sailed on Dolphin Deck in a mini more than anything else and have found absolutely nothing at all wrong with them. Now, if you can't be in the sun at all, or you care if someone on the balcony above you might be able to look down on you, then you might have a problem with them. But other than that, we totally enjoy the Dolphin Deck minis (the interior of both minis is identical).

As Toto says, the only difference is the covered vs. uncovered balcony. The ADs on Emerald deck are preferable to many because they are covered, private and quiet. Many prefer Dolphin deck because they can then sun on their balcony. It's a personal preference although it's interesting that Princess considers the ADs on Emerald deck as less desirable. I'm perfectly happy they keep thinking that. :)

We enjoy both Dolphin and Emerald. Don't mind the sun and/or being looked down at. Don't do anything anybody else can't see!!! I don't think it is a matter of location as much as covering. Mini size and extra room is great. You will enjoy Dolphin and your cruise!

We love our mid-ship Dolphin minis and have no issues with the "open" concept. We are equally exposed to views from above when we have a Carib balcony because we spend our time at the rail chairs rather than tucked under the overhang, so no biggie. The Dolphin deck was wonderful because we could look straight down into the water or watch the dock action, which was always interesting.

I have had both covered and uncovered minisuites. Each has it's advantages. My experience with the uncovered minisuites is that there will be shade at certain times of the day depending on where the sun is.

Also, no balcony is every really private. Not only can ship's officers see you from the bridge but people on the dolphin deck can stand at the rail and look up and see a lot of the upper decks. I didn't believe it untill I had a dolphin deck mini and looked up for myself.

If I have the choice, I opt for a covered mini but if I get a fantastic rate on an uncovered mini (like almost 50% less than an AD for a transatlantic cruise), you can believe I'll take that AC and love it!

Archived