Dressier cruise lines?

Princess422

We found our Pacific Princess cruise to have many men in tuxedos on formal nights. I'm already telling my husband that yes, in fact, he does need to carry his tuxedo to Europe next year when we do the 11 day Black Sea cruise on Pacific. We love the small ships! (no anytime dining, which is fine for us - we prefer traditional - but might not be ideal for you if you prefer anytime....) We also found many dressed "up" (or, appropriately:p) on our HAL cruises. Our first HAL cruise was when they still had a 3-tier dress code; they have since dropped "informal". Though many of us will still wear clothing that would have been "informal" on the casual nights. I prefer dresses & skirts most days in my "regular" life, so if it fits the vacation & the activity, why not on vacation too?

I suppose with Princess then, the particular ship and itinerary seems to play a role. HAL doesn't seem to have many good deals for solos, but I will keep my eye out.

I suppose with Princess then, the particular ship and itinerary seems to play a role. HAL doesn't seem to have many good deals for solos, but I will keep my eye out.

You need to find a friend like me with a husband like mine.:D

A work associate of my husband is a solo cruiser and he has been very generous to offer me up as her traveling companion so she doesn't have to pay the single supplement. Will be taking a third cruise with her in Dec.:)

Back to enforcing the dress code. On NCL which has a very "free" dress code, one MDR stipulates no jeans and I saw it being enforced a number of times. Generally, I think the cruise lines do not want to get into a confrontational situation with enforcing a dress code.

Frankly, I don't care what someone else wears. What I DO mind is when people post on CC and criticize those of us who do follow the dress code by saying we are playing dress up, we're trying to be someone we're not......how dressing formally is trying to be someone else is beyond me, or any other ridiculous comment.:rolleyes:

If someone likes to dress up and a cruise it the only time they do it, maybe that can be called playing dress up but sooooooooo what? When the ones who prefer not to dress formally say if someone is dressed very casually it should not affect another's dining experience, guess what? It goes BOTH ways. They should not be bothered by those who do dress up.:p

Back to my corner now.:)

You need to find a friend like me with a husband like mine.:D

A work associate of my husband is a solo cruiser and he has been very generous to offer me up as her traveling companion so she doesn't have to pay the single supplement. Will be taking a third cruise with her in Dec.:)

Back to enforcing the dress code. On NCL which has a very "free" dress code, one MDR stipulates no jeans and I saw it being enforced a number of times. Generally, I think the cruise lines do not want to get into a confrontational situation with enforcing a dress code.

Frankly, I don't care what someone else wears. What I DO mind is when people post on CC and criticize those of us who do follow the dress code by saying we are playing dress up, we're trying to be someone we're not......how dressing formally is trying to be someone else is beyond me, or any other ridiculous comment.:rolleyes:

If someone likes to dress up and a cruise it the only time they do it, maybe that can be called playing dress up but sooooooooo what? When the ones who prefer not to dress formally say if someone is dressed very casually it should not affect another's dining experience, guess what? It goes BOTH ways. They should not be bothered by those who do dress up.:p

I wish I had a travel companion like that!

I don't see how dressing up can be construed as trying to be someone you're not. As I am always a little overdressed, I think dressing super casually, for me, would be "trying to be someone I'm not." And I totally agree with your last comment. But I'm not that open-minded. :rolleyes: I just think it creates a nice atmosphere when everyone dresses nicely, and I wish the dress codes were (at least a little) more strictly enforced.

I wish I had a travel companion like that!

Hey, I'm a straight shot down Rt.81 from you...about 2 hours.:D

I don't see how dressing up can be construed as trying to be someone you're not. As I am always a little overdressed, I think dressing super casually, for me, would be "trying to be someone I'm not." And I totally agree with your last comment. But I'm not that open-minded. :rolleyes: I just think it creates a nice atmosphere when everyone dresses nicely, and I wish the dress codes were (at least a little) more strictly enforced.

That completely baffles me. How do they know what someone is, maybe they ARE someone. They also have no idea if that person is used to dressing that way at home for functions and, all those tuxes are not rentals.:p

I, too, tend to overdress and am preparing to go on my first cruise next month.

I always thought people dressed up on cruises, so I was really looking forward to doing so, but have been surprised and a little worried by reading the cc boards and seeing that a lot of people don't seem to like to dress up! :(

But after reading this thread, I see that I'm not alone, so I'm going to bring my fancy dresses for formal nights and my still pretty fancy outfits for "smart casual" nights - because you are right, OP, that two formal nights is not enough! :D

So what if I stick out a little bit. Better to be overdressed than underdressed. Maybe we'll renew the more glamorous side of cruising! :)

I, too, tend to overdress and am preparing to go on my first cruise next month.

I always thought people dressed up on cruises, so I was really looking forward to doing so, but have been surprised and a little worried by reading the cc boards and seeing that a lot of people don't seem to like to dress up! :(

But after reading this thread, I see that I'm not alone, so I'm going to bring my fancy dresses for formal nights and my still pretty fancy outfits for "smart casual" nights - because you are right, OP, that two formal nights is not enough! :D

So what if I stick out a little bit. Better to be overdressed than underdressed. Maybe we'll renew the more glamorous side of cruising! :)

GO FOR IT!!!

On smart casual, or whatever each line calls it, I dressed more than some did on formal night. I even had a couple of waiters and maitre d's comment on how I was dressed. Maybe they get tired of having to give "formal" service to super casually, and I use that term lightly, dressed pax.;)

Yes, I was thinking that too - that the staff probably likes to see the pax dressed up. It seems that most people expect the 5 star service and meals, but they want to dress like they're going out for pizza.

My mom taught me to dress as I wanted to be treated. Now, I don't believe that one should be judged by what they wear and I treat others well, no matter what they're wearing. But I must admit that I have generally received better service - and certainly more compliments - when I am dressed up. My DH and I dress very nicely when we fly, too, and when we went to Paris a few years ago, we were greeted at the gate with, "Mr. and Mrs. W-, you have been upgraded to first class." What a wonderful flight! Was it just the luck of the draw, or might our nice, dressy outfits have played a role? It certainly didn't hurt!

Luckily my DH is like-minded, so he'll be in his tux on formal nights and will probably be more dressed up on the casual nights than a lot of men are on formal, but he doesn't care.

Happy cruising! :D

Back to Becky: Thanks for the link! Got it late last night so haven't done any reading yet, but I'm looking forward to it. And I forgot to ask, have you ever cruised with Fred. Olsen? They are priced considerably lower than Crystal but still apparently considered a luxury line - and they have some truly great prices on their single cabins (several that certainly ARE less than paying double on Princess). But the FO boards are not very active and most of the discussions pertain to particular ships, so I'm having some trouble finding general information about cruising with them, and in particular how good they are for solo travelers... and no one has answered that for me on the threads I started in both the "Solo Cruisers" and the FO sections :(... if you can provide any input, I'd appreciate it!

I do not have any experience w/ FO. Back when I was working in the cruise business, we never had a client request it. I have on rare occasion looked on their webiste when I was considering exotic itineraries. But never found an itinerary that intrigued me. I think of them as being more popular in the European markets. Maybe there's more activity on the UK boards. But thanks for the heads up; I'll keep my eyes open.

It should go both ways with each party accepting the other's position but it doesn't . You never see posts from people who dress nice but not the tux long gown crowd complaining that the overdressing ruined their dining experience and if they want to dress so formal they should eat somewhere else . That complaint only goes one way . Live & let live people you are on vacation !

It should go both ways with each party accepting the other's position but it doesn't . You never see posts from people who dress nice but not the tux long gown crowd complaining that the overdressing ruined their dining experience and if they want to dress so formal they should eat somewhere else . That complaint only goes one way . Live & let live people you are on vacation !

You're correct, I haven't seen that complaint per se. But they do make up all kinds of ridiculous reasons they think people are dressing up and THAT is my complaint. I put it in the same category as telling people to go eat somewhere else......plain stupid.

I think if there WAS somewhere else to eat...all formal.... for the people who wanted to dress up, they would.:D

This is OT, but one or two of you OPs mentioned the single suppliment.

NCR has a new ship with lots of single cabins. Don't know if it is in service yet, cannot even remember where I saw it.

NCL does have an entire single section on their new ship. However the OP was looking for a "dressier" line and NCL ranks at the bottom of the barrell as far as attire goes. Even the people on the Staten Island Ferry are better dressed on a weekend outing.

NCL does have an entire single section on their new ship. However the OP was looking for a "dressier" line and NCL ranks at the bottom of the barrell as far as attire goes. Even the people on the Staten Island Ferry are better dressed on a weekend outing.

Yes, the OP is looking for a dressier line and yes, NCL is the least dressiest but that statement is just so inaccurate.

This is OT, but one or two of you OPs mentioned the single suppliment.

NCR has a new ship with lots of single cabins. Don't know if it is in service yet, cannot even remember where I saw it.

Yes, the new Norwegian Epic is now in service.

If you saw it you woiuld remember it.

Most people who have seen it - even the NCL Cheerleaders - agree that it is one of the strangest looking cruise ships afloat.

The ship does feature very small single cabins with no single surcharges.

But have another look at the title of this thread.

"Dressier Cruise Lines?"

Since NCL changed their dress code from Formal to "Rural", nobody will ever make the error of accusing them of being a "Dressier Cruise Line".

Yes, the new Norwegian Epic is now in service.

If you saw it you woiuld remember it.

Most people who have seen it - even the NCL Cheerleaders - agree that it is one of the strangest looking cruise ships afloat.

The ship does feature very small single cabins with no single surcharges.

But have another look at the title of this thread.

"Dressier Cruise Lines?"

Since NCL changed their dress code from Formal to "Rural", nobody will ever make the error of accusing them of being a "Dressier Cruise Line".

I found on NCL you do not find the "rebels" the other lines have. You know, cut off Daisy Dukes, etc and ragged shirts/shorts in the dinning room on formal night that should have gone to the "rag bag" instead of worn on a cruise. yes, people are dressed more casually, but they are not dressed in things that really should not be worn in the evening, even by the pool on the lido deck.

I do love formal night, but even on my last 2 HAL cruises, this has been a big disappointment, because a few did not only did not participate, but tended to wear the worst thing possible in "rebellion" of formal night. ( I suppose)

I found on my 2 NCL cruises, that even though more people were dressed casualty, and hardly no one formally, (though many did dress up "after 5", or "Sunday go to church" of 30 years ago on the "dress up or not "nights) every one was neat,clean, and groomed.

Hi all, I've only cruised on Princess, so maybe someone can answer this for me. I love dressing up, especially on vacation, and I'm one of those people who's sort of perpetually slightly overdressed. Is there a cruise line that stands out as being a bit more formal than others? Either dressier overall, or maybe one that has more formal nights? Or more formal formal nights (more gowns and tuxes instead of just cocktail dresses and sport coats, etc). I thought the luxury lines would be like this, but there is an article somewhere on CC that says that many of the more upscale lines are actually more casual. I wonder how much the itinerary affects this, too, since both of my cruises have been to the Caribbean and I read somewhere on the boards that these cruises tend to be more casual as well. Any tips?

I would agree with Darcie who said Crystal was probably the most formal, and I would agree, we sailed Crystal once. You might want to consider Oceania. Although there are no "formal" nights, a lot of the women are in cocktail dresses everynight, myself included. The evening dress is, in my experience is dressier then some of the other lines on formal night. Just a suggestion.

You got it, girl! ;)

Don't get me wrong, I won't stop checking for deals on Crystal! I just won't get my hopes up, either. The 2-for-1 special offer currently listed on their website seems like a wonderful deal - if you have someone to cruise with. :rolleyes: But I have it bookmarked, and there will be other specials in the future. I am hoping to do a cruise in Europe - either the Baltic region or the UK - sometime next year and I love that Crystal has deals on free airfare for some of their cruises. What is a "shoulder season" sailing?

We are very lucky... I think about my grandparents who are in their eighties and have never been a cruise and don't even know what they're missing. (I'd love to take one of them with me, but I can't afford to take both, and I can't just leave one at home.) And certainly there are many people out there far worse off than them. I should be counting my lucky stars that I can go on a vacation at all instead of pining for a luxury cruise.

That being said, I really do hope to "taste" Crystal someday. ;)

Don't fall for that phony two for one stuff on any cruise line. It's nothing but a marketing scheme and you aren't saving one darn penny.

Here's how it was for Crystal. They had brochure rates and early booking rates in their brochures. Everyone paid the early booking rates, regardless of when you booked. Those early booking rates were basically half of their brochure rates. When they started this, imho, crappy two for one business, they got rid of their early booking rates and everyone booked under the brochure rate. So for instance, if the brochure price was $1000 and the early booking price was $500, a couple paid $1000 for their cruise. Now, with this 2-fer stuff, the rate is $1000, you get the two for one, and you still wind up paying the full $1000 per couple. BTW, I've been really PO'd at Crystal and Regent for pulling this crapola.

Now, you do get a lot on Crystal that you don't get on Princess, like all bottled water, soda, specialty coffees and teas, along with either a $500 or $1000 on board credit, which pays for everything on board, plus, the price you see includes airfare.

I can tell you, I checked a South America cruise on both Crystal and Celebrity, and for similar cabins, both in size and location, the Celebrity cruise was over $4000 more than the Crystal cruise. So it's not always a fact that you get a better deal on a mass market.

Thanks for the info, Cate and Darcie. I will keep all of this in mind when booking my next cruise. I was not aware that Crystal provided so much OBC. Also, if I book a cruise departing & returning to another country, Crystal certainly has an advantage because of the included airfare; I've looked up some of the rates for international flights, and with some of the mass market lines, the airfare would cost almost as much as the cruise itself.

Archived