DUI and entrance into Canada confusion...

kath00

I'm a little confused. We're planning an Alaska cruise round trip from Seattle, with a stop in Victoria, BC. One of the gals in our group has a DUI from several years ago (not sure when) but I know it's not 10 years yet. I was assuming since we're sailing r/t Seattle there wouldn't be any problems, even for her to go ashore in Victoria but now I'm not so sure. Anyone have any advice?

It may or may not be an issue. There is no formal customs clearance in Victoria however Canadian customs does receive a passenger manifest which is reviewed prior to the ships arrival. A worse case scenario is that they advise the ship the Jane Doe is not admissible, Jane will be so advised by the ship and she will have to stay aboard the ship while docked in Victoria. This does not happen often in the case of Victoria but there is definitely a risk that it will.

Thank you LeftcoastBC and Putterdude for your answers. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope all goes well in Victoria. Worst case she'll have to stay on the ship but there are certainly a lot worse things to worry about in life :)

Thank you LeftcoastBC and Putterdude for your answers. I guess we'll keep our fingers crossed and hope all goes well in Victoria. Worst case she'll have to stay on the ship but there are certainly a lot worse things to worry about in life :)

No, the absolute worst case is that she'd be denied boarding in Seattle. The passenger manifest is send to Canadian Immigration, who checks the list for "undesirables", which includes anyone with a DUI/DWI. You can be refused boarding in Seattle if Canada doesn't want you to enter.

Will this happen for your friend? Hopefully not.

No, the absolute worst case is that she'd be denied boarding in Seattle. The passenger manifest is send to Canadian Immigration, who checks the list for "undesirables", which includes anyone with a DUI/DWI. You can be refused boarding in Seattle if Canada doesn't want you to enter.

Will this happen for your friend? Hopefully not.

Thank you for re-iterating this. The best option is contact the nearest consulate and get an official opinion; as opposed to a bunch of guesses from us.

In Case the poster Voyager70 does come back to this thread I suppose I must admit that Scott & 6r's are technically correct. BUT...

You do not have to deal with Government Officials in person when you board in Seattle. My personal experience with the Canadian Government is quite long and IF as V70 says it is a DUI only and several years ago there will not be a problem here. No need to scare anyone.

The Cruise Line would be the one's responsible for the boarding issue in Seattle on advice issued by "Canada" I am aware of several persons who were "Secured" on board in Victoria because of Criminal Records but they were never not allowed to board a cruise to Alaska from a US port in the first place.

Cruises leaving from San Francisco and San Diego also have the same issue from time to time as they also have to make a Foreign (read Canadian) port stop to meet US regulations and avoid fines.

Now if V70's information supplied by her friend is not correct that is another issue all together

Thanks all for the additional info. The person in question is a very good friend of mine I've known for nearly 20 years, and I know she is telling me the truth in regard to her DUI conviction. I remember when it happened. Our group had initially wanted to do an Alaska cruise out of Vancouver but after reading these boards (and speaking with the rest of the group) we decided to go with a Seattle round trip to avoid any possible problems. I never imagined she could be denied boarding in Seattle. I'm starting to think we should just forget about Alaska for now & book something else.

You do not have to deal with Government Officials in person when you board in Seattle. My personal experience with the Canadian Government is quite long and IF as V70 says it is a DUI only and several years ago there will not be a problem here. No need to scare anyone.

You are absolutely correct...passengers departing from Seattle do not go thru either US or Canadian customs, there are no crim checks done by the US government on those persons going to another state...they are going to Alaska. The manifest is not complete or provided to Canadian Border Services until after the ship has left, further it is none of our government's (Canada) business who goes to Alaska from the US.

Archived