Commonly Used Acronyms on Cruise Critic

IRL_Joanie

• 4 weeks later...
Aft simply means the cabin is in the rear portion of the ship. Forward means it is in the front of the ship. Two other confusing terms (to me anyhow) are starboard (right) and port(left). Good way to remember these two is port has four letters like left has and starboard has more letters. :-)

I always remember "aft" as your backside.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

OK, thought I'd add this since I just joked about how many 'CC' abbreviations there are on this forum:

CC - Cruise Critic (as the OP listed)

CC - Captians Club (X's freq flyer program)

CC - Concierge Class

And I threw in CC and water for Canadian Club Whisky and Water just for fun!

Den

Apologies for my ignorance (I have my first cruise coming up at the end of Jan!) but what do people mean when they refer to a 'aft' cabin?! :o

welovetocruisetwo gave you the correct answer. But beware that 'aft' is often used incorrectly by the majority of posters. They are using it to refer to the cabins on the "stern". This could be a problem if you were asking about an 'aft' cabin and the reply was incorrectly giving you information about a 'stern' cabin (which IS 'aft' :D). Stern cabins are often different from ones in the same category that are either 'aft' or 'forward'.

Cruise nuts know this, of course...it just bugs me to hear the terms misused because it can lead to real misinformation and expectations and I wanted to caution you.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
OK, thought I'd add this since I just joked about how many 'CC' abbreviations there are on this forum:

CC - Concierge Class

Den

Another CC is - credit card

welovetocruisetwo gave you the correct answer. But beware that 'aft' is often used incorrectly by the majority of posters. They are using it to refer to the cabins on the "stern". This could be a problem if you were asking about an 'aft' cabin and the reply was incorrectly giving you information about a 'stern' cabin (which IS 'aft' :D). Stern cabins are often different from ones in the same category that are either 'aft' or 'forward'.

Cruise nuts know this, of course...it just bugs me to hear the terms misused because it can lead to real misinformation and expectations and I wanted to caution you.

OK, to clarify the difference between the 2 words AFT and STERN;

Aft = the inside of the very back of the ship

Stern = the outside of the back of the ship

So if you are on the ship at the very back you are on the aft.

If you are off the ship looking at the back of the ship (where the name is), you are looking at the stern.

What it boils down to is that if you are in a stateroom/Cabin in the back of the ship, you are in an Aft Stateroom/Cabin. If you are in a Stern Stateroom/Cabin, you are treading water:)

Joanie

If you are off the ship looking at the back of the ship (where the name is), you are looking at the stern.

What it boils down to is that if you are in a stateroom/Cabin in the back of the ship, you are in an Aft Stateroom/Cabin. If you are in a Stern Stateroom/Cabin, you are treading water:)

Joanie

I love it!!! Couldn't have made it any plainer and funny to boot!!:cool:

• 2 weeks later...

The Friends of Dorothy (FOD) brought a funny comment from one cruiser. He said he did know Dorothy but he knew Bill W. Of course I was asking if we had any gay folk (and we did)on the roll call? Once he found out what my request was well he was less than friendly. I met the gentleman and his wife on the sail away for CC members on board and we never saw him at a CC event the rest of the cruise. Oh well...

• 4 weeks later...

CC - Concierge Class

Den

And I will add CC for Carbon Copy (in email)

Perhaps the Cruise lines might consider FOV, Friends of Veterans. :rolleyes:

I'm seeing a de-emphasis on recent cruises of gettogethers of this group who have special life-changing experiences in common.

On a recent cruise on the Explorer RCL held a private get-together for all former,present military up in Dizzys on a sea day. :cool: Some refreshments an met some very interesting people and some amazing stories. Good turnout, probably about 60 men and women from mid 20's to 80's

2byc

• 5 years later...

Joanie

Joanie,

Are you able to add these suggestions & repost the whole list?

Thanks!

Tom😀

I find SWMBO far more expressive than DW .... She who must be obeyed.

Not an acronyms but an abbreviation Ex as in Ex Southampton, Ex Miami etc (Starting out from )

Oh just realised etc.... et cetera

We need to come up with an acronym for threads like these that are revived from long ago. This one is 2011, one of the longest I've see brought back on the board but this one is still relevant.

Acronym Register - Shipping Edition

Few Extra for us Seniors

ATD At the doctors

BFF Best friend fell

BTW Bring the wheelchair

BYOT Bring your own teeth

FWTW Forgot where I was

GGPBL Gotta go, pacemaker battery low

GHA Got Heartburn again

IMHO Is my Hearing Aid on

LMDO Laughing my dentures out

OMMR On my massage recliner