American dollars in Mexico are now limited

ShedQueen77

We found it far from being a problem with vendors at cozumel last month on taking our USD money, even no problem i did find a bank about 5 or 6 doors down from carlos an charlies and exchanged some money for mexican change for my coin collection.

(And that would be "facing" carlo's and charlies to the right about 5 or 6 doors down)

As to: "Plus you should not expect any country to except "your" money just because you live in the US." :

How does the righteous come out on a trivial matter such as the OP's post.

That was directed to Flynlo's comment of

Who cares about any of that, old news. Mexicans not accept my US money, then expect NO business from me.

Not the OP. If you would have seen what I quoted you would see that!

I have never seen a country in my travels that would not accept greenbacks. Have you?

I admit that was before Obama started bowing to the world!

Yes, on numerous occasions including during the prior administration when the US dollar was in the toilet. Nobody wanted dollars - they all wanted euros.

At least these days, the dollar is stronger against the euro (and peso) than it was two years ago.

Who cares about any of that, old news.

Mexicans not accept my US money, then expect NO business from me.

That was directed to Flynlo's comment of

Who cares about any of that, old news. Mexicans not accept my US money, then expect NO business from me.

Not the OP. If you would have seen what I quoted you would see that!

I think that is just plain arrogant. Do you think Mexicans visiting the US expect us to accept pesos? I think not.

Actually I was just in Europe and even in Switzerland most places would not even except Euro's which is the currency of most of Europe.. so yes..

See above. The Euro is not the currency in Switzerland. I'm pretty sure the Swiss Franc is a superior currency to both the Euro and the USD. Why would they accept something inferior?

A number of places in Croatia won't take anything but Kuna. But there is no lack of ATMs to obtain local currency.

See above. The Euro is not the currency in Switzerland. I'm pretty sure the Swiss Franc is a superior currency to both the Euro and the USD. Why would they accept something inferior?.

Yeah.. I was trying to make the point that the US dollar is not excepted everywhere and countries can and do choose to accept only their currency! I knew ahead of time that the euro/dollar would not be accepted in switzerland so I got some swiss francs the first stop I made.. some others in my group tried to use euros and were denied!

Yeah.. I was trying to make the point that the US dollar is not excepted everywhere and countries can and do choose to accept only their currency! I knew ahead of time that the euro/dollar would not be accepted in switzerland so I got some swiss francs the first stop I made.. some others in my group tried to use euros and were denied!

Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Mea Culpa. I misread. Sorry. :o

for others..

Even in the USA, try paying your mortgage in genuine USA pennies and see how far that goes. Is not USA money legal in the USA? I guess it depends on quantity, doesn't it! :p

I have never seen a country in my travels that would not accept greenbacks. Have you?

I admit that was before Obama started bowing to the world!

I have been in many, many, many countries that don't accept American cash at local eateries or shops.

I remember back 12 years ago I was on a Med cruise with my parents. I had been traveling around Italy for a few weeks before getting on the ship, so had lira in my pocket. We were on a ship's tour of Torcello, It was hot, and my daughter wanted a bottle of water from a local vendor. I pulled out a few lira and bought her one. My dad also wanted a bottle of water, he pulled out a few dollars and the guy looked at him like he had two heads. I jumped in with some lira and bought another bottle for my dad. (And yes, for those keeping track, Italy now is on the Euro.)

Our Bank in Canada can get us Pesos, but they won't take it back and exchange it. Has anyone been to PV, Mazatlan, cabo... and had a problem with using U.S.D. We don't make big purchases at Jewlry places , just flea market type places, restaurant or if we went to a resort, so we wouldn't be spending that much. I'm just conserned if they don't want to take U.S.D we should have some pesos, but we don't want to have to take it home if we get too much.:confused:

Been there and nothing has really changed so I would not bother with Pesos.

For larger purchases, I always use a CC anyway. At a resort, I always used my CC also.

[quote name='cathy_kearns']I have been in many, many, many countries that don't accept American cash at local eateries or shops.

I remember back 12 years ago I was on a Med cruise with my parents. I had been traveling around Italy for a few weeks before getting on the ship, so had lira in my pocket. We were on a ship's tour of Torcello, It was hot, and my daughter wanted a bottle of water from a local vendor. I pulled out a few lira and bought her one. My dad also wanted a bottle of water, he pulled out a few dollars and the guy looked at him like he had two heads. I jumped in with some lira and bought another bottle for my dad. (And yes, for those keeping track, Italy now is on the Euro.)[/quote]

I liked whenever we did a med run and pulled into Naples, or were down in Sardinia (Olbia). When we exchanged our USD for Lira we felt really loaded! You had handfuls of cash. I still have some of the Lira coins (two toned - silver with gold colored center). I remember that the pay phone tokens were widely accepted as legal tender too (200 Lira?). They could only be used in the pay phones because of their slots milled into the faces. I think they were called "Gettone".

See this: [URL="http://www.etsy.com/listing/49983809/italian-telephone-token"]http://www.etsy.com/listing/49983809/italian-telephone-token[/URL]

Archived