American dollars in Mexico are now limited

ShedQueen77

Make sure you bring your pesos if you spend big in Mexico. While I never expect any foreign country to automatically take my American money, I know that many of us do use USD when visiting Cozumel and other ports.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/25/no-more-paying-with-dollars-at-mexico-resorts/

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/10/mexico-currency-law-pesos-dollars-drug-cartels/127503/1

(Also posted on NCL board...not spamming, just letting my friends on both boards know what I read! :))

This kind of thread keeps being posted.

iv found no problems getting them to accept my money for purchases .. but they often cant make change. So bring lots of small bills.

i really do not think this is impacting cruisers so as to stop any shopping in Mexico. they is always a way.

Most big purchases end up being credit cards anyway...

(And by the way, if you want to pay cash, they've already found a loophole... they break it down into two or more transactions...):rolleyes:

Ditto, It will have no real effect on the average tourist. It is aimed at people doing business in Mexico and the drug scum money laundering.

I thought that others might be cash shoppers (not everyone uses credit cards) and could use the information just in case. I'm sorry if it was a repeat post. I did not see it on the first 3-4 pages. :rolleyes:

I am a cash shopper, even a $350 ring I paid cash for. .. Im saying never a problem unless you want change, then Iv had problems .. more than once.

Make sure you bring your pesos if you spend big in Mexico. While I never expect any foreign country to automatically take my American money, I know that many of us do use USD when visiting Cozumel and other ports.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2010/10/25/no-more-paying-with-dollars-at-mexico-resorts/

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2010/10/mexico-currency-law-pesos-dollars-drug-cartels/127503/1

(Also posted on NCL board...not spamming, just letting my friends on both boards know what I read! :))

Who cares about any of that, old news.

Mexicans not accept my US money, then expect NO business from me.

Ditto, It will have no real effect on the average tourist. It is aimed at people doing business in Mexico and the drug scum money laundering.

Most of the typical tourist locations are exempt under the 'new' law so it's not been an issue at all. However, when the Ecstasy had to divert to Veracruz the merchants refused to accept US dollars...

:)

This kind of thread keeps being posted.

iv found no problems getting them to accept my money for purchases .. but they often cant make change. So bring lots of small bills.

i really do not think this is impacting cruisers so as to stop any shopping in Mexico. they is always a way.

That's what I was thinking it was on here quite awhile ago.

I'll guarantee you that the vendors will get around it for the dollar.

As to: "Plus you should not expect any country to except "your" money just because you live in the US." :

How does the righteous come out on a trivial matter such as the OP's post.

One of the recommendations was to buy pesos before leaving the US. This is one of the worst things to do. The commission charges will be ridiculous.

Now that's an uninformed comment. I buy pesos about every two months and my bank does not charge a commission. I know some places do, but not everyone.

Most of the typical tourist locations are exempt under the 'new' law so it's not been an issue at all. However, when the Ecstasy had to divert to Veracruz the merchants refused to accept US dollars...

:)

No US $$$$ at all or just for purchases over $100? If it was no dollars at all, it had nothing to do with the new law, they had other reasons for not taking dollars at that time.

My brother lives and does business in Mexico, he owns several high end art galleries. His business is almost totally conducted in US dollars-cash, charges and checks. I asked him how the new law would effect his business. He said not at all, the new law is aimed at bank transfers. The focus is on drug cartels laundering US dollars thru Mexican banks. I have not actually read the entire law and I doubt anyone else posting here has either.

Plus you should not expect any country to except "your" money just because you live in the US.

I have never seen a country in my travels that would not accept greenbacks. Have you?

I admit that was before Obama started bowing to the world!

Most people do not have access to a place where you can buy pesos or any foreign currency, I tried to order pesos in my town before my last cruise in July and no one does it anymore, you have to go to the nearest large airport, which for us is about 1 1/2 hours away. I ended up having to use a credit card in Cozumel, when the hotel we went to for a beach day refused the dollars, even though I had been assured that paying with dollars before we went was not going to be a problem.

Now that's an uninformed comment. I buy pesos about every two months and my bank does not charge a commission. I know some places do, but not everyone.

BUT I'm guessing the exchange rate is not that favorable then. There ain't no free ride.

Our Bank in Canada can get us Pesos, but they won't take it back and exchange it. Has anyone been to PV, Mazatlan, cabo... and had a problem with using U.S.D. We don't make big purchases at Jewlry places , just flea market type places, restaurant or if we went to a resort, so we wouldn't be spending that much. I'm just conserned if they don't want to take U.S.D we should have some pesos, but we don't want to have to take it home if we get too much.:confused:

After reading all this stuff I decided I would get some pesos for my next trip(leaving in 2 days). It really seems to be slightly better value to use the pesos if the conversion rate used is quoted as 10 to 1 while in Mexico. I also thought it would be interesting and if I don't use the $200(equivilant in pesos) this time I will sometime as we go end up in Mexico 3-4 times a year.

We are going to Italy for a land trip next year and...no they don't take the US dollar as some on here I guess might assume. I just thought going through the process would be good practice for that.

We found it far from being a problem with vendors at cozumel last month on taking our USD money, even no problem i did find a bank about 5 or 6 doors down from carlos an charlies and exchanged some money for mexican change for my coin collection.

Archived