Possible to seat MTD with traditional?

Showtune

We are travelling with my parents. They have early seating, we have MTD. I know that their table will be assigned for the full cruise and we will need to make reservations and will typically be seated in a separate section from the regular diners. If we coordinate our reservation time, would we be able to sit together in the MDR for a meal?

Assuming they are at a table meant for more than two, there will be other passengers assigned to their table. I can't see them letting you sit with them since the other chairs will be assigned. (most people wouldn't care to show up at dinner and find their seats taken)

As PP said, I would either switch to early seating and link your reservations, or have them switch to MTD. If you only want to do an occasional meal, then specialty dining would be the way to go.

We are travelling with my parents. They have early seating, we have MTD. I know that their table will be assigned for the full cruise and we will need to make reservations and will typically be seated in a separate section from the regular diners. If we coordinate our reservation time, would we be able to sit together in the MDR for a meal?

On my recent cruise MTD were seated on the mezzanine floor of the dining room. While those with Traditional Dining were seated on the main dining floor. The two could not be mixed.

If you wish to eat with them your choices are :

• switch so you both have the same dining arrangments
  • eat dinner in the buffet ( Food basically the same, but very informal )
  • or pay the surcharge and each the specialty restaurants.

Ask a head waiter to help you arrange this. They are very accommodating. I bet your parents will be able to join you.

I bet they won't unless they switch to MTD and pre-pay grats.

I don't know which ship class they are in, but if it's Voyager or larger they will be dining in the MDR on different decks.

Yes, just go to the dining room as soon as you board the ship and ask for their table to moved next to the table you are most likely to get in the MTD area of that section of the dining room. Or, if you want at the same table, have them assigned a table large enough in the MTD area of the MDR. They mix MTD and traditional late changes in that area.

Seems to be conflicting information, I'll have to ask on board. As for the suggestion to try a specialty restaurant, that won't work in our situation since our son (age 19 months) will be with us. And his grandparents want to eat with him. We are on the Enchantment, so my understanding is that MTD is seated on a separate floor.

On Navigator, we were on separate decks. The first night, a party had your situation--they had main seating, but wanted to eat with their friends in MTD that night. The maitre d' was polite, but firm--only people registered under MTD were allowed to sit at MTD tables.

If you want to guarantee your party will be together, have your parents switch to MTD.

Seems to be conflicting information, I'll have to ask on board. As for the suggestion to try a specialty restaurant, that won't work in our situation since our son (age 19 months) will be with us. And his grandparents want to eat with him. We are on the Enchantment, so my understanding is that MTD is seated on a separate floor.

I think the biggest underlying issue may be money.

All MTD patrons must prepay the gratuities. All regular seating patrons have option of paying cash or have the gratuities charged to their ship board account at the end of the cruise.

So if your parents dine with you at MTD seating, your parent’s part of the waiter’s tips in MTD will not be paid for.

The easiest thing to do is to switch them to MTD. They can make a reservation for the same 6pm time slot each night and request the same waiters, and you can join them when you wish.

I have always used MTD since it's exception, and never had a problem of having newly met friends join us or us joining them. The seating people will accommodate, you might have to wait a short time but they will be happy to assist you.

On my last cruise, I talked to the person in-charge and asked nicely about my friends for the next night seating and NO PROBLEM, I even had some champagne(free from RC, I think) and no corkage fee for drinking it in the MDR, I do not know why there was no corkage fee did not ask.

A $10 or 20 tip for the seating person(sorry do not know his title, is encouraged he does not get a share, I believe, in the MTD payees pay out.

Archived