Traveling with someone else's child?

moopig

I am thinking about taking my 'little sister' (through Big Brothers, Big Sisters), age 12, on a short cruise to the Bahamas. I assume I will need a copy of her birth certificate and perhaps a Power of Attorney signed by her parents? I was wondering if anyone else traveled with someone else's child and what kind of documentation would be needed. Thanks!

I took my grandaughter on a cruise last year. She needed a passport and a nortorized letter signed by both parents giving me permission to take her out of the country and to consent to medical treatment. It is very important that both parents sign the letter because this law was designed to prevent one parent from hiding a child in another country in custody disputes. The airlines barely looked at the letter but the cruise line (Hollard America) examined everything very closely prior to boarding.

Marcia

First, you need permission from Big Brothers/Big Sisters. This may be something against their rules. Second, you need a signed, notarized letter from BOTH parents giving you permission to take the child out of the country and to make emergency decisions for her. Without this, you will be denied boarding. If both parents don't sign, or if one of the parents is out of the picture, you will need court documents proving such or a judge's ruling that there's only one parent. Airlines and cruise ships are VERY serious about this because they want to avoid things such as custodial interference or kidnapping. If your cruise is a closed loop cruise, that is, if your cruise starts and ends at the same US port, you won't need a passport, but you will need a government issued birth certificate---not a hospital one but one from the city, county or state of birth.

Good luck. I have the feeling this won't be easy.

It will be easy, IMO. First, I cannot imagine even ASKING Big Brothers/Big Sisters -- it is the PARENT's choice. The organization has nothing to do with this travel if you ask me. You don't ask permission to take your menotoree to a theme park for a day. They cannot allow or deny travel for the minor; only a parent can do that.

The forms are pretty standard; and what prior posters have said is correct. Notarized by parents to give power of atty and stating consent for out of country travel. I will tell you that Bahamas immigration is really strict about it when you fly in but arriving via ship should not be a problem.

However, just because travel will be easy does not necessarily mean that I would recommend it. Kind of depends on the age of the kid. Are you willing to be together 24/7 for the length of the cruise? If I were taking a child not my own and without another kid I wouldn't take my eyes off them for a second, even to put them in a kid's program. 12 is not a teen even though they think they are. Now if my DD brought a friend (she's almost 15 now) that'd be a different story.

DS was a Little Brother up until last year. I'm a 100% positive that it's against the rules.

It will be easy, IMO. First, I cannot imagine even ASKING Big Brothers/Big Sisters -- it is the PARENT's choice. The organization has nothing to do with this travel if you ask me. You don't ask permission to take your menotoree to a theme park for a day. They cannot allow or deny travel for the minor; only a parent can do that.

They can however, kick you out of the organization.

Thanks for all of the info. everyone! She is getting ready to 'age out' of the BBBS program so we might have to wait for that to be official as to not break the rules (no overnights). She is a really good kid but I wouldn't take my eyes off of her for a minute!

Luckily, both of her parents are in the picture so getting notarized permission should be relatively easy.

I hope the cruise works out for you in the future.

But see, those of us who said that BBBS would not allow it were right. I had the feeling they didn't allow overnights, in order to protect the kids from any potential predators.

moopig, you do a great service for kids who need a mentor. Good Job !!!!!

Kudos to you for mentoring this young lady. Of course, you wouldn't break rules with her. That would not maintain all the good example you are setting for her.

Hope when she is 'of age' you all have the most wonderful cruise.

Archived