Has anyone tried to add themselves to the VIP list on a cruise to get extras?

golfer76

Why would someone want to lie and act like they are "all that" just to get some free perks? That's really stupid, I think. Save your money and get the perks yourself instead of acting cheap, I say.

I didn't see anywhere that anyone wanted to lie to get something they were not entitled to. I prefer to assume it is an innocent queston and the OP's motives are pure.

I didn't see anywhere that anyone wanted to lie to get something they were not entitled to. I prefer to assume it is an innocent queston and the OP's motives are pure.

I don't know, maybe someone wanting to get something they aren't supposed to? It sounds very similar to me. You are free to assume what you wish, as are the rest of us.

Why would someone want to lie and act like they are "all that" just to get some free perks? That's really stupid, I think. Save your money and get the perks yourself instead of acting cheap, I say.

I don't know, maybe someone wanting to get something they aren't supposed to? It sounds very similar to me. You are free to assume what you wish, as are the rest of us.

Did either of you read post #16? Did you notice that OP has been registered with Cruise Critic for about a week?

I didn't get the impression that he was doing any more than asking a first timers question. Sheesh:rolleyes:

Golfer76 - like I said Welcome to Cruise Critic mate.

Why do they steal?? Do you really want me to answer that question? LOL

I think trying to save money is one thing, but trying to "steal" or pass off like someone your not so you can get a deal, well, to me that's just wrong. But then again, I have more of a conscience than most. I also don't hoard the free coffee filters or pens or towels or trial sizes and take them home, either. I notice alot on these boards some people will nickle and dime everything to death, complain about hotel prices in FL, etc and that drives me nuts..when you take a vacation you should be prepared to spend extra and if you have to nickle and dime everything to death then get a cheaper vacation or save more. I travel internationaly several times a year and only can do it because I don't eat out, dont waste my money on daily starbucks and drive cars until they die...and when I go, I buy what I want when I want no matter what the price because I saved for it during the year and didn't have to try to leach or scam someone for a perk.

Why would you want to steal from, or hurt other people Gathina and yet many people do in this world, both in your country and mine. ;):(

Apparently some people cruising do it or at least try, otherwise they'd be no websites dedicated to telling you how to get free extras. ;) A little bit like other internet scams perhaps (does Nigeria ring a bell?) where people have been told they've won the lottery if they only email their details to a particular address or phone a particular number...many fall for these scams also.

Did either of you read post #16? Did you notice that OP has been registered with Cruise Critic for about a week?

I didn't get the impression that he was doing any more than asking a first timers question. Sheesh:rolleyes:

Golfer76 - like I said Welcome to Cruise Critic mate.

Thank you Charlie that is the exact case...I've never cruised before and my wife and I have done plenty of research on the net regarding a few cruise lines that operate here in Australia. I must say we are envious of you Americans and your choices/prices lol. ;):)

During this research there have been a few sites (mainly American from what I can tell of the accents etc) that have given you "insider tips" to the cruise industry. My question was nothing more than something out of curiosity. From all the replies it seems like these sites may be dodgy. Of course, knowing little about the industry, I was merely asking a question, although having re-read it a few times I can see why some people appear to be judging me, but I can assure you it's not how it appears. Perhaps I should've worded it better. ;)

Thanks for the welcome too... :)

Thank you Charlie that is the exact case...I've never cruised before and my wife and I have done plenty of research on the net regarding a few cruise lines that operate here in Australia. I must say we are envious of you Americans and your choices/prices lol. ;):)

During this research there have been a few sites (mainly American from what I can tell of the accents etc) that have given you "insider tips" to the cruise industry. My question was nothing more than something out of curiosity. From all the replies it seems like these sites may be dodgy. Of course, knowing little about the industry, I was merely asking a question, although having re-read it a few times I can see why some people appear to be judging me, but I can assure you it's not how it appears. Perhaps I should've worded it better. ;)

Thanks for the welcome too... :)

Saying that those sites are dodgy may be a bit lenient:p

But, hope you have a beaut of a holiday.

Charlie

After looking at that other thread, I'm reminded of the big to-do over the Royal Champions a few years ago (when some members of CLF were selected by a focus group company to take part in the Royal Champions program for Royal Caribbean...they were given free cruises and some other perks with the idea they would come on this site and say nice things about RC). It blew up in RC's face.

Also reminded of an episode of Love Boat in which the wife of a top mucky muck at the cruiseline (played with haughtiness by Bonnie Franklin) is expecting to be treated like a VIP to the nth.

My post wasn't really to the OP. I responded directly to the post I intended by including it (much like I am answering YOU alone since I included your post), and no one else, thank you oh so kindly....

I can't see lying for such extras.

no doubt... someone's self worth has got to be worth more than some cheap flowers or a free coctail... I guess some people don't care much about those sorts of things and have thereby helped ruin it for everyone else in their zeal to lie in order to get a freebie here or there.

Each cruise line sets the requirements and perks for repeat passengers. Just as an example, with Princess, you get priority boarding when you have completed 50 days or 5 cruises on Princess.

Cool. I wouldn't mind sailing 5 times on a Princess cruise ship:p

Well, you know what they say about "assuming"...

To me it's lying to be somebody your not to try and get VIP treatment. I am not saying if the lady is doing that, it's my opinion I am offering.

Archived