-3 C = 26 F = Time to Cruise

butterflysweeti

Yesterday, we had snow flurries..... Woke up this morning with frost on my car.....

Temperature was -3 celcius which is 26 fahrenheit............... :o

Think I am ready to head down south now!! :)

Yeah and I bet the end of November can't come fast enough can it?

The cool weather will make your cruise that much more appreciated, have a great time.

:eek: Would you people stop using that foul language on here...I ought to wash your mouths out with soap. SN**!!

I live in a small southern town (on an island, with one sodding bridge) and even the mention of that nasty little word makes people around here start driving like morons, they close the schools and there is a run on bread and milk.

I do however understand your need to flee when the weather turns. I too am solar powered and that is precisely why I try my best to sail away in January or February :D

Yesterday, we had snow flurries..... Woke up this morning with frost on my car.....

Hi butterflysweeti - just to make you feel good, Montreal had SNOW on Saturday night...ughhhh...5 more sleeps and we're on the Liberty!

Happy cruising!

Sharon

I live in a small southern town (on an island, with one sodding bridge) and even the mention of that nasty little word makes people around here start driving like morons, they close the schools and there is a run on bread and milk.

I think it's hilarious when I see on the news some place like Atlanta or some southern city gets a 1/2 inch of snow and everything shuts down.

Course first real snow fall here and you sort of want to stay home for a couple days since people forget how to drive in snow over the summer. :eek:

I think it's hilarious when I see on the news some place like Atlanta or some southern city gets a 1/2 inch of snow and everything shuts down.

Course first real snow fall here and you sort of want to stay home for a couple days since people forget how to drive in snow over the summer. :eek:

Actually, shutting down the city in places like that is the safest thing to do.

I am a Canadian who was born in Montreal, and lived in Ottawa and Toronto, so I know snow and how to drive in it.

I am now living in Austin Texas and when there is any snow or ice, the city shuts down. All schools and most work places close for the day, or like in 2008, for three days. The roads departments down here do not have any equipment to deal with snow and ice. They have limited de-icing equipment and supplies and those concentrate on the overpasses which do freeze much earlier than the roads. They have no plows or blowers.

The other factor is that the roads down here are built to shed a TON of water during heavy downpours. That means aggressive grading on the roads and some pretty steep driveways and other access roads. There are some roads with a 15 degree grade, that ends with a 90 degree turn. You would never make that in a snowy or icy condition.

I have driven in a lot of bad weather conditions. I went out during the 2008 ice storm just for fun, but in retrospect, that was on flat roads and no one else out. Now that I live here permanently, when there is ice on the roads, I telecommute.

Oh wow I hear ya.. I was back to work, first day since my cruise :eek: - even though it was so cold out, couldn't bring myself to wearing a coat - closed toe shoes and a heavy sweater, worked for me. :D

Know the feeling well Butterfly.;) Enjoy your cruise!

BTW, can I come with you ... please

I used to live in Toronto so I know what you mean when you say it's cold ! My jaw felt like it was frozen shut once or twice... I'm back in Vancouver where the temps are closer to that of Seattle (still around 12C), but the prediction for December and January are for colder than normal temps this Winter! I'm sooo happy I'm escaping for at least one week !

Our snow from last week's "snow bomb" is just now starting to melt, after we had to snowblow & shovel the driveway :mad: and drive all the family where they needed to be for two days with our one four wheel drive vehicle! :eek: Only things to take one's mind off the lousy winter weather are: hours and hours on cruise critic, printing Sign & Sail passes & luggage tags, going tanning, and yes, packing for the big day! :) Boy that first DOD is going to taste fabulous! :D

Actually, shutting down the city in places like that is the safest thing to do.

I am a Canadian who was born in Montreal, and lived in Ottawa and Toronto, so I know snow and how to drive in it.

I am now living in Austin Texas and when there is any snow or ice, the city shuts down. All schools and most work places close for the day, or like in 2008, for three days. The roads departments down here do not have any equipment to deal with snow and ice. They have limited de-icing equipment and supplies and those concentrate on the overpasses which do freeze much earlier than the roads. They have no plows or blowers.

The other factor is that the roads down here are built to shed a TON of water during heavy downpours. That means aggressive grading on the roads and some pretty steep driveways and other access roads. There are some roads with a 15 degree grade, that ends with a 90 degree turn. You would never make that in a snowy or icy condition.

I have driven in a lot of bad weather conditions. I went out during the 2008 ice storm just for fun, but in retrospect, that was on flat roads and no one else out. Now that I live here permanently, when there is ice on the roads, I telecommute.

We live in SE NC and everything here is pretty flat but just the same, we do not have the infrastructure or equipment to handle snow. We get a couple of inches every few years and it just screws everything up. But the beach is really pretty with snow on it. The closest thing to a sled that we own is the lid to our garbage can. The kids play in it for a little while, we take pictures and then we want it to go away so we can get on with life.

Across the river in Buffalo/Niagara Falls NY- frosted over again here today too! Two weeks and off to the bahamas

Living in Northern Ontario (aka Great White North) I use to chuckle whenever some place got 1/2" of snow and shut down, we have had up to 7 feet of snow some winters but like others say we are prepared for it. I can't remember the last snow day we got and we would get 10" dumps of the white stuff at a time. If your roads aren't built for it or you don't have equipment to deal with it 1/2" is like a foot for us. I no longer laugh - it is not funny for you. I think this is why the majority of us (north of the border) cruise during the winter months. Have a great cruise.

Archived