Meclizine @ Walmart?

tyd

In New Jersey a prescription is necessary. Even though I had one the pharmicist tried getting me to purchase either Bonine or Dramamine. I can't use either due to a bad reaction to the artificial sweetners in them...

No...I buy 25mg meclizine all the time without a prescription in NJ.

Thanks for the info. The last time I got it was over a year ago and I needed a prescription. Since mine has now expired I'll have to check it out this week for an upcoming plane ride...

No...I never have needed a prescription, extending back far more than a year. Are you trying to get 50mg meclizine? That may require a prescription. Are you trying to buy large quantities?

No, it was for 25mg twice a day. When I first started cruising 10 yrs ago I used over the counter Bonine and was still getting motion sickness. When I realized it was the artificial sweetners making me sick I questioned the pharmacists about getting meclizine and I was told I needed a prescription. Once I got the prescription she still tried talking me into over the counter brands. I have since switched drugstores and I'll have to check CVS out this week..

No, it was for 25mg twice a day. When I first started cruising 10 yrs ago I used over the counter Bonine and was still getting motion sickness. When I realized it was the artificial sweetners making me sick I questioned the pharmacists about getting meclizine and I was told I needed a prescription. Once I got the prescription she still tried talking me into over the counter brands. I have since switched drugstores and I'll have to check CVS out this week..

My current supply of meclizine is from CVS, under their house brand, so you should be able to find it at your local CVS. As I recall, it's stocked in the stomach remedies area, because it's an anti-nausea medication. I also checked trhe CVS web site, and you can buy it there for $5.79 for 16 tablets.

Well then it looks like the bottle of 100 pills is the best buy but you sure will have alot of them!

They last quite a while, my wife may go through 15-20 per year. The last bottle we bought for her didn't expire for about 2.5 years, so there'll still be some leftover...

Weird.

I agree it's odd we can buy bonine but not meclizine. duh? Must have been an accountant who wrote that rule. :DBonine IS meclizine.

The best part of this whole discussion is the front office on HAL as well as Infirmary gives out meclizine upon request when there are rough seas.

Not an accountant, a politician! :rolleyes:

RWC, CPA

i haven't worked in a pharmacy for a few years, but i do remember there are 2 strengths for Meclizine. One OTC and a stronger version you needed a prescription for.

The one that you need a prescription for is Antivert (Meclizine HCL by Pfizer) for vertigo patients. This is the kind that I take when I cruise since I have seasickness issues. The OTC Meclizine or Bonine did not do me any good. Hope this helps.

The one that you need a prescription for is Antivert (Meclizine HCL by Pfizer) for vertigo patients. This is the kind that I take when I cruise since I have seasickness issues. The OTC Meclizine or Bonine did not do me any good. Hope this helps.

If you're taking ther 50mg strength you need a prescription. If you're taking 25mg, you don't need one...you can buy that strength over the counter as either generic meclizine or a brand name such as Bonine.

I'm talking about Antivert 25 mg by Pfizer, the real thing not generic OTC. In my state you need an RX to get hold of this meds in whatever strength....

Yes, if you insist on the package saying "Antivert" you need the prescription, but the active ingredient in 25mg Antivert is 25mg Meclizine HCL, which can be bought OTC.

Archived