Where do I find sand ?

Groliv

No where will be real close...and since any sand you collect is imported would it really still be somewhere you want sand from?

If so, then I guess the closest would be Higgs Beach. Grab a cab and ask them to take you - it would be a pretty long walk. After you get your sand, you can stroll back to the ship and wander through Old Town or down Duval.

Walk to the Pier House on the corner of Duval and Front. There is a beach and an open-to-the public bar there. You can have a drink as it's very nice and collect a bit of sand, or just collect the sand and if anyone asks, you're checking the grounds for a future stay.

Pjk

As I understand it, the sand is imported from the Bahama Islands. I can't swear to that though. I think a tour guide on a Conch train told us that.

I'm sure it is, too, because it's great sand! She'll still be collecting it in Key West, though, so I guess it could be considered KW sand!? :D The bar there is great - they are one of the "bar card" bars so anyone can go there. Ft. Zach or the other beaches mentioned above "sand" would be more authentic though!

• 1 month later...

Glad to see another fellow sand collector. I collect sand from all ports we visited. I transfer a small amount to pretty clear glass jars and then label where it is from and have themon shelves. It is a wonderful collection that keeps growing and keeps the memories alive. It also has been a great conversation piece amoung friends. Sand really varies from place to place. Weather its imported or not it is the sand from the area we were at. Great collection at virtually no cost.

• 1 month later...
Glad to see another fellow sand collector. I collect sand from all ports we visited. I transfer a small amount to pretty clear glass jars and then label where it is from and have themon shelves. It is a wonderful collection that keeps growing and keeps the memories alive. It also has been a great conversation piece amoung friends. Sand really varies from place to place. Weather its imported or not it is the sand from the area we were at. Great collection at virtually no cost.

SAME HERE!!

Love to collect the sands of the world, have sand from both coasts now and will be adding as we cruise this year! Glad to see others doing the same thing as living out in the desert here in the Southwest we just dont see it that often. I love the looks of the locals as I gather the sand in whatever container I may have at the time.................:eek:

• 2 weeks later...
As I understand it, the sand is imported from the Bahama Islands. I can't swear to that though. I think a tour guide on a Conch train told us that.

That's right, and the water is also imported as it leaves the Panama Canal.

Goes to show you what you can learn from tour guides.

Archived