Give me the facts on the iLounge

Travelalot2

My husband would like to cruise on the Eclipse due to the ilounge - he's a big apple fan. It looks like they have classes, etc. on how to use their products? Can someone confirm what they offer? We will not be buying any products since we already own a variety of them. If it's just a place where they have MACs to sign on and check your email, please let me know. If so, I"m going to book us on another ship where I like the itinerary better. Thanks!

My husband would like to cruise on the Eclipse due to the ilounge - he's a big apple fan. It looks like they have classes, etc. on how to use their products? Can someone confirm what they offer? We will not be buying any products since we already own a variety of them. If it's just a place where they have MACs to sign on and check your email, please let me know. If so, I"m going to book us on another ship where I like the itinerary better. Thanks!

Based on the iLounge on the Summit, I would not make it a primary reason to choose a particular ship. Essentially you can use various MacBooks to browse the Internet and read your email. Some Apple products are available for sale. And they do have numerous classes on topics such as photo editing. If you are traveling with iPhones and iPads, the staff will be knowledgeable about getting you up and running. But, all ships lately have some kind of computer center. Even though we own four Macs, two iPads and two iPhones, and own Apple stock, I would not choose a ship just because of the iLounges.

I would be more concerned about the quality of those factors that might be important to you, such as the other passengers, food, service, entertainment, attractiveness of the ship, places to walk and get exercise and, of course, the itinerary.

Based on the iLounge on the Summit, I would not make it a primary reason to choose a particular ship. Essentially you can use various MacBooks to browse the Internet and read your email. Some Apple products are available for sale. And they do have numerous classes on topics such as photo editing. If you are traveling with iPhones and iPads, the staff will be knowledgeable about getting you up and running. But, all ships lately have some kind of computer center. Even though we own four Macs, two iPads and two iPhones, and own Apple stock, I would not choose a ship just because of the iLounges.

I would be more concerned about the quality of those factors that might be important to you, such as the other passengers, food, service, entertainment, attractiveness of the ship, places to walk and get exercise and, of course, the itinerary.

WOW...you are seriously into Apple! Question...I'm thinking about buying something to take with us when we travel...and I was considering the I-Pad...also a netbook like a Toshiba or Dell which Consumer Reports has recommended...what do you think? I like the I-Pad for it's lightness and the e-reader..but I'm not really sure I would use it for that...I really do like the "feel" of a book. The Toshiba is about $100.00 less cost wise..LuAnn

We were on the Eclipse in May and they had all sorts of problems in the iLounge with the computers shutting down mid-email. It was very frustrating. I am thinking that they hopefully have fixed the issues by now but we did not care for the iLounge at all. Only one of the three people who worked in there was helpful. I don't remember any classes being offered but I am sure if you were going to buy something, they would give you some sort of tutorial. The ship was fairly new then and quite possibly (and hopefully) things have changed.

WOW...you are seriously into Apple! Question...I'm thinking about buying something to take with us when we travel...and I was considering the I-Pad...also a netbook like a Toshiba or Dell which Consumer Reports has recommended...what do you think? I like the I-Pad for it's lightness and the e-reader..but I'm not really sure I would use it for that...I really do like the "feel" of a book. The Toshiba is about $100.00 less cost wise..LuAnn

I would look at the new MacBook Air. I purchased one on release and is really not that much bigger than an iPad but is a fully functional laptop.

Like all Apple products... not cheap but a wonderful computer.

B.

Hi LuAnn. I kind of agree with Booyakasha. The new 11 inch MacBook Air is really impressive. It weighs a little more than the iPad and is a fully functioning computer. We had a pc netbook that we gave to our son and replaced it with an iPad. Krys loves it for reading. I like it for the email and Internet. I even use it to post on these Cruise Critic boards. This was of course before the new MacBook Air.

Archived