$10p.p to eat at night Kings Court area

Jimsgirl

Not just Barking cap'n, but Dagenham.

The subject of QG passengers dining in Todd English has been mentioned before, many here suggesting there was no advantage in doing so, far better food and service, at no extra charge, being available in the Queens Grill Restaurant.

There would be even less reason for a QG passenger to dine in the Kings Court. Anything on the menus in KC could be ordered in QG if desired.

However it may be that one or two QG passengers might, on one occasion, have visited KC, after being asked to dine with other passengers who weren't in QG cabins.

Unlike Todd English, this would have cost everyone present nothing extra (for the moment).

But I bet they only did it the once and were pleased to return to their usual restaurant.

With regards to TE I know that it is used occassionally as a "special occassion" restaurant, anniversaries, birthdays etc by some from QG whether that is lunch or dinner. I would imagine some Diamond WC members will partake of their "free" lunch but I've yet to hear specifically of an example of that. From personal experience I have eaten there twice; dinner as guest of my TA and lunch as guest of an officer, the supplement has been taken care of on my behalf on both occassions. Would I pay to eat there out of choice? Probably not.

As for KC, I am aware that travelling companions ate there occassionally at lunchtime in one of the areas, however at dinner time no, they were in QG.

One can get a place in the Britannia restaurant to have dinner with non-grill acquaintances anyway if your Maitre D' is consulted in advance, therefore no real need for KC or TE in those circumstances.

If you were a Grill passenger, why on earth would you choose to eat in the King's Court. It is utterly illogical.

I agree 100%. The only time I could see doing so, would be on a world cruise where the typical person just can't eat as lavishly as one does in the Grills every day. There would come a time after a week or 10 days that you'd want to take a breather and eat more simply, and just see what the King's Court is like. On any voyage less than that, with the prices you pay for the Grills, I think you're just throwing away money.

There would come a time after a week or 10 days that you'd want to take a breather and eat more simply, and just see what the King's Court is like. quote]

I still think I would have to be desperate to try the King's Court. I am planning to eat the "Spa" choice or ask for some grilled fish on a regular basis.

There would come a time after a week or 10 days that you'd want to take a breather and eat more simply, and just see what the King's Court is like. quote]

I still think I would have to be desperate to try the King's Court. I am planning to eat the "Spa" choice or ask for some grilled fish on a regular basis.

Louise, On several occasions, I ordered the from the Spa menu (QM2, Britannia MDR). While I appreciated that the portions were small (which is what I wanted), I found that the items were very heavily spiced. Gelatin and sugar substitue are favourite ingredients in both the main course and the dessert.

Subsequently, I have found that when I asked for a plain salad and grilled fish or chicken (Britannia and Britannia Club), my request was accomodated and the food was much better (to my taste) than what was offered on the Spa menu.

Regards,

Salacia

We had new beds and new matresses, this has been going on since July when we were on the ship, this time carpets and flat screen TVs were taken onboard to replace the old ones.

Now, how this happens is a mystery, do they pop into a cabin when people are out and replace the TV, I dont know, I imagine they are doing a few cabins at a time when they are not sold, it would be interesting to know, but it is taking place as we speak.

what is the difference, well just the beds really, the carpets wont be noticed that much, maybe the odd burn mark or stain wont be noticed now and the flat screen TV will be better, I just wish the interactive part of the TV would come back.

maybe someone has stayed in cabin that has been refurbished fully

My flat screen arrived between TA's 19.10 and 1.11 (I had same cabin). The cabin was obviously occupied during the week I was away because he left clothing by mistake, so they must just nip in on port days and fit. They certainly do that for balcony repainting - I came back early in Barbados this year to find the full painting team occupied on mine!

If you were a Grill passenger, why on earth would you choose to eat in the King's Court. It is utterly illogical.

Exactly.

I'm ashamed to say we did actually get something from Kings Court for some odd reason (I'm drinking an oversized glass of red wine and it's been a big day at work, so I can't remember exactly why or when) but for the rest of voyage it was a running joke about 'troughs' and trays.

My flat screen arrived between TA's 19.10 and 1.11 (I had same cabin). The cabin was obviously occupied during the week I was away because he left clothing by mistake, so they must just nip in on port days and fit. They certainly do that for balcony repainting - I came back early in Barbados this year to find the full painting team occupied on mine!

Yes I imagine thats how it happens, they must be working hard to get this done, we watchem as they lifted it all on the ship in Southampton

Very intrigued to read of the refurbishing, I will be joining the QM2 Nov 27th and hope that my C2 cabin on Deck 4 will be one of those that has been refurbished. #4014

I would also be interested in reading re the "free" lunch at Todd English. I know that this is for Diamond passengers which I will be in Feb on the QV. How does one take advantage of this? Is there a card in the cabin?. Do you have to tell them your lunch is free when you make a reservation?

So many questions, but I would like to dine there for "free". I paid for the lunch there on my last cruise, I will be on board QV for 29 days , so a change will be good to do.

Lynn

...I know that Cunard is a luxury liner, but these days the prices are cut to the bone or so im told by Cunard, the crossing this week is down to $449 for an inside, I imagine this is one of the reasons behind the fee of $10...

Carnival Corp's profits for the first nine months of this year was over $1.7 billion* so no, I don't think that's the reason, (although I too have noticed that recently fares have been reduced on several voyages close to sail date---No joy for those of us who booked & paid well in advance. :(

*Source: http://m.usatoday.com/Money/2183418/;.wap2

Carnival Corp's profits for the first nine months of this year was over $1.7 billion* so no, I don't think that's the reason, (although I too have noticed that recently fares have been reduced on several voyages close to sail date---No joy for those of us who booked & paid well in advance. :(

Nor us, but last year we did have an add on crossing for a mere £250, so I cant moan too much

If you live in the US and the fare goes down after a booking you will be refunded. I have a crossing booked for May 2011. I called Cunard yesterday regarding a cruise and just happened to inquire about our crossing. The fare was down by $408.00 on the crossing and Cunard refunded me.

If you live in the US and the fare goes down after a booking you will be refunded. I have a crossing booked for May 2011. I called Cunard yesterday regarding a cruise and just happened to inquire about our crossing. The fare was down by $408.00 on the crossing and Cunard refunded me.

Hi rrunner. Yes, I have received reductions prior to making my final payment, but the fares can decrease dramatically closer to sail date. My travel agent informed me that Cunard does not make adjustments after final payment is made (although upgrades and/or OBC's MAY be offered).

However there does seem to be exceptions as I have read posting(s) where someone mentioned that they were able to get a refund after final payment, so I guess their travel agent must have a different arrangement with Cunard.

Regards,

Salacia

Hi rrunner. Yes, I have received reductions prior to making my final payment, but the fares can decrease dramatically closer to sail date. My travel agent informed me that Cunard does not make adjustments after final payment is made (although upgrades and/or OBC's MAY be offered).

However there does seem to be exceptions as I have read posting(s) where someone mentioned that they were able to get a refund after final payment, so I guess their travel agent must have a different arrangement with Cunard.

Regards,

Salacia

I always book on board - especially if there is a deal - I then receive the on board booking credit- plus we are platinum - we receive a small discount for that. I call Cunard often - even after a full payment to check on fare changes. I have always received a credit in the past. However the January 3rd cruise to the Caribbean has gone up a lot since I booked 7 months ago so no credit refunds on that one yet.

I always book on board - especially if there is a deal - I then receive the on board booking credit- plus we are platinum - we receive a small discount for that. I call Cunard often - even after a full payment to check on fare changes. I have always received a credit in the past. However the January 3rd cruise to the Caribbean has gone up a lot since I booked 7 months ago so no credit refunds on that one yet.

Hi rrunner. You made a good point. I booked my next cruise while I was on board too, giving the name of my travel agent. That way we got double on board credits, plus an OBC from my TA for total of $1,500 OBC (pretty sweet, right?) and my TA handled the adjustments when fare decreased prior to final payment. Although I haven't gotten an further reductions since then, I'm happy to say that I just checked Voyage Personalizer and we have been given an upgrade, so we're happy campers.

You're lucky you booked the Jan 3 cruise 7 months ago when the fares were extremely attractive! (I was interested in that one too, but the timing didn't work for us.) Great way to start the new year, sailing to the Caribbean - have a wonderful time!

Don't forget to eat in the alternative dining venues before the surcharge takes effect ;)

Cheers,

Salacia

I would also be interested in reading re the "free" lunch at Todd English. I know that this is for Diamond passengers which I will be in Feb on the QV. How does one take advantage of this? Is there a card in the cabin?. Do you have to tell them your lunch is free when you make a reservation?

So many questions, but I would like to dine there for "free". I paid for the lunch there on my last cruise, I will be on board QV for 29 days , so a change will be good to do.

Lynn

As a Diamond Member you will receive an invitation in your cabin for use in Todd English. You just take it along and make a booking. We've not found it very full at lunch time so choose a table at the time of booking. The meal was OK and quite enjoyable but I wouldn't have paid for it over Britannia Club.

Hi rrunner. You made a good point. I booked my next cruise while I was on board too, giving the name of my travel agent. That way we got double on board credits, plus an OBC from my TA for total of $1,500 OBC (pretty sweet, right?) and my TA handled the adjustments when fare decreased prior to final payment. Although I haven't gotten an further reductions since then, I'm happy to say that I just checked Voyage Personalizer and we have been given an upgrade, so we're happy campers.

You're lucky you booked the Jan 3 cruise 7 months ago when the fares were extremely attractive! (I was interested in that one too, but the timing didn't work for us.) Great way to start the new year, sailing to the Caribbean - have a wonderful time!

Don't forget to eat in the alternative dining venues before the surcharge takes effect ;)

Cheers,

Salacia

How nice for you to get an upgrade - combined with your huge on board credit you have a great deal. We will be taking advantage of the alternative restaurants. I just need to remember to reserve a table early in the morning.

How nice for you to get an upgrade - combined with your huge on board credit you have a great deal. We will be taking advantage of the alternative restaurants. I just need to remember to reserve a table early in the morning.

Hi rrunner. Yikes, reserve a table for alternative dining early in the morning :eek: Having never done that, may I ask how does it work? Is a menu available before you book alternative dining, or do you just book it early in the morning and accept what is on the menu? (My experience of dining on QM2 is limited to the MDR and Britannia Club...and a couple of nice room service dinners.) Advice appreciated.

Regards.

Soon to sail Salacia

Hi, Soon to Sail Salacia.

Here is how it works: you inquire with the maître d’ of the King's Court restaurants early in your voyage to request a table. The rule is supposed to be that you can only book a table the day of, but that's not universally applied. Your reservation is confirmed on the spot and you will also receive a card in your stateroom confirming your sweet deal.

The evening menus in Carvery, La Piazza and Lotus never change--the same menu is used each evening that restaurant offers table service. The only menu that varies is Chef's Gallery dinner, which is themed, such as Steak Night, Indian Night, French Night. We think King's Court sit-down restaurants are outstanding and have had many memorable meals there, such as the lobster ravioli and asparagus and mushroom risotto in La Piazza.

Happy sails to you!

Katie

Hi Katie. Thank you very much for that information - much appreciated! Hubby absolutely loves lobster ravioli, so I'm sure he'll be wanting to try La Piazza on our next voyage (before the surcharge goes into effect:))

Regards,

Salacia

Definately! Price drops could have saved me nearly $600. If they won't credit you the difference, they could at least "up" your on board credit.

We have really enjoyed the demonstration meals in the Chef's Galley section of King's Court- especially the steak and French nights and will try to book those again on our Caribbean cruise next month. We found these evenings to be entertaining and the food generally better than on the Brittania DR.

Hi, Soon to Sail Salacia.

Here is how it works: you inquire with the maître d’ of the King's Court restaurants early in your voyage to request a table. The rule is supposed to be that you can only book a table the day of, but that's not universally applied. Your reservation is confirmed on the spot and you will also receive a card in your stateroom confirming your sweet deal.

The evening menus in Carvery, La Piazza and Lotus never change--the same menu is used each evening that restaurant offers table service. The only menu that varies is Chef's Gallery dinner, which is themed, such as Steak Night, Indian Night, French Night. We think King's Court sit-down restaurants are outstanding and have had many memorable meals there, such as the lobster ravioli and asparagus and mushroom risotto in La Piazza.

Happy sails to you!

Katie

I agree with everything you say - love all the alternative restaurants.

Archived