Baltics Cruise - Port Safety a Concern???

luvbigdogs

My wife and I are considering NCL Sun next summer stopping in Copenhagen, Warnermunde, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm. We cruise the Caribbean frequently, but this will be our first cruise in Europe. For those that have stopped in these cities on your cruises, have you at any time felt unsafe in your surroundings? Do you also always book ship or shore excursions so as to not sightsee without being in a group? I would appreciate anyone's comments on the whole safety aspect of these cities. And if it makes a difference in your perspective, we are Caucasian Americans. Thanks much!!!

We did all those ports this year on our Baltic cruise on the Eclipse and didn't feel 'unsafe' at any time. We like to do our own thing, so after much planning (which is the secret I think), we just did tours on our own...the only exception being doing a 2 day tour of St P with Denrus. Obviously there is the normal potential for pickpockets and the like, but I felt no where near as concious of a 'threat' as the Med ports. Go and do the Baltic...you will have a great time!

Simon

You can happily sightsee on your own in these ports, though are well advised to take a ship or private tour in St Petersburg to avoid having to get your own visa and difficulties with the language. Baltic cities are as safe to walk round, if not safer, than US or UK cities.

My wife and I are considering NCL Sun next summer stopping in Copenhagen, Warnermunde, Tallinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki, and Stockholm. We cruise the Caribbean frequently, but this will be our first cruise in Europe. For those that have stopped in these cities on your cruises, have you at any time felt unsafe in your surroundings? Do you also always book ship or shore excursions so as to not sightsee without being in a group? I would appreciate anyone's comments on the whole safety aspect of these cities. And if it makes a difference in your perspective, we are Caucasian Americans. Thanks much!!!

Hi and wlecome to our corner of CC

You ask a great question in these times, something I really never thought much about, but must be considered.

We cruised NCL in 2009 on the Jewel, out of Dover, doing the same itinerary.My DW and I are seniors who were traveling alone. We did every port we stopped at, by ourselves, except, the aforementioned St Petersburg, which we also did with an independent tour company, SPB tours.

Let me make this very clear, at NO time did we even think about not feeling safe. Yes, they warn you 1000 times about pick pockets, and that is the only thing you need worry about. Being on these boards about 3 years now, I really have never heard one person say anything about not feeling safe going out on their own.

Most of the ports are huge cities, and very rarely are you ever not in sight of crowds. We tried to get away from some of the crowds, but even then, there is not one thing to worry about. Sure, with the ship's excursions you will be with a huge group of people, but that was one of ther main reasons we decided to do everything on our own. We wanted to save a huge amount of money, and we wanted to come and go as we please, see what WE wanted to see, and do it at our own pace.

Believe me, you have nothing to worry about doing any of the ports on your own.

Here are a few of my pix of some of the ports you will stop at, and yopu can see, and they are as safe as can be

In Copenhagen, top see the Little Mermaid, you might have to fight off the crowds, but you will get a great picture of her

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europemaster219.jpg

At Warnemunde, we decided to stay local and go to rostock, a wonderful little German town

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe382.jpg

In Tallinn, no need for any tours, there is a wonderful walking tour right here on CC to use to see this terrific port

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe622.jpg

In St Petersburg, you MUST have a guide to get off the ship unless you opt to get your own visas

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe721.jpg

In Helsinki, Market Square is the point you want to get to. Everything happens off of that

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1133.jpg

and in Stockholm, we just loved Gamla Stan, an old world section of a modern city, that is just made for exploring and trying to find some little streets all to yourself

http://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Giantfan13/baltics/europe1268.jpg

Hope this helps

Cheers

Len

What Len and the others say. If you go to Berlin D-I-Y is tricky as it's 3 hours away from Warnemunde so you'll need either a ship's tour or an independent one for that but apart from this and St P you can do a fine job by yourself.

If it helps you decide here's some video of those ports.

Copenhagen

Berlin

Berlin Wall

Tallin

The Fountains of Peterhof

The Catherine Palace at Pushkin

Peter and Paul Fortress/Cathedral

St Isaac's Cathedral

Church of Our Saviour on the Spilled Blood

The Winter Palace/Hermitage State Museum

Helsinki

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9hcJiVDK0E

Suomenlinna (Fortress of Finland)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swIpEG7hR0g

Stockholm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NweRnGqZ1k

Royal Warship Vasa & the Vasa Museum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x45l1WMZOXA

It's a marvellous intinerary, with fascinating sights at every turn.

Tony

If you select the travelpod link in our signature and then go to the 'Old Blighty' blog you can read about our Sun cruise this year. At no time did we feel unsafe and apart from St P where we took a private tour with a group of 12 we did the rest of theports 'on our own'.

I've also posted a review of our cruise on here.

Stockholm (actually Nynashamn) - we'd recommend the 'Stockholm on your own' bus trip into the city as even though it's USD59 each (compared to maybe USD20 on the train) you get over an hour more in the city. It's the only thing we would have changed.

Terrific cruise

If you select the travelpod link in our signature and then go to the 'Old Blighty' blog you can read about our Sun cruise this year. At no time did we feel unsafe and apart from St P where we took a private tour with a group of 12 we did the rest of theports 'on our own'.

I've also posted a review of our cruise on here.

Terrific cruise

And a terrific set of port reviews and photos it is too. This is a superb documentation of the whole trip, extremely well written.

And a terrific set of port reviews and photos it is too. This is a superb documentation of the whole trip, extremely well written.

wow, thanks Cornishpastyman1, glad you enjoyed the ride!! Can you tell a want to be a travelwriter? ;)

next time we head back to the UK, we'll make sure we head down to Cornwall. I have fond memories of St Ives and Penzance (well a bit blurred now, was 31 years ago!).

pete and al

Thanks for all the fantastic responses to my original question on port safety in the Baltics. This will be our 20th cruise so I want it to be spectacular! We are headed on the Norwegian Epic next week (19th cruise and first Norwegian cruise). I hope to book the Sun to the Baltics upon our return. Thanks again to all the CC's!!

We also "did" all the ports on the Constellation last July and never once had a problem not feeling safe! Like Len we are also seniors traveling alone and went "on our own" in most ports without the slightlest problem. In St. Pete we took an 8 person private tour with SPB and were constantly warned to be careful of pickpockets - but never saw or experienced any problems. In Copenhagen we took a ship tour only because of the tightness of scheduling what we wanted to see. Most of the cities are easy to DIY - and SO much info on CC!!!

We had the reverse of your situation last February being concerned about traveling to the Caribbean (our first time). My DH was very worried about Jamaica, we decided to take a ship excursion but in the end couldn't dock because of high winds! He was concerned about Jamaica but we've never worried about Europe!

@ newfarmers

I was at that Walkathon in Copenhagen that you talk about in your blog.

Hi Danish Viking

What an amazing turn out, could see the ecco advertising but didn't know what the cause (charity) was. Looked to be thousands taking part. Congrats for being one of them.

We took part in our own personal walkathon in every port!. We loved Copenhagen and look forward to coming back and taking our time in Scandinavia next time

Pete

Well, I selected this link today and had a lovely time cruising with you. Enjoyed the photos as well!

We are adding time in Copenhagen and Stockholm before and after our cruise, and your blog just whets my appetite for these two wonderful cities.

Just to let you know the big ships dock far out of town in a very secure area on the St Pete overnight. I felt safer there then had I been on one of the small more luxurious ships that dock across the street from the Hermitage. Have agreat trip and dont worry...

Archived