Leaving soon last minute questions!

Iwannabeatraveler

Hi- Less than a week till we leave and these random things came to mind-

If you are going on your own to beaches, snorkeling- Did you take a beach towel from the ship or bring one from home?

What is a feasible time we will disembark from the ship post cruise in Honolulu? 9am? 8am? 11am? Trying to nail down transport to the airport to fetch a rental car.- Hawaii 23 was a bust so I am trying to get a time estimate so I can make alternative arrangements.

You take a towel from the ship.

I've been off the ship before 9am both times. If you self disembark, you can be off very early. I rented from Thrifty which had a shuttle at the port- this was not recent however.

I also found Hawaii Walmarts to have an excellent selection of snorkel gear, and my next trip in Feb. I'll be stopping by, as I'm looking for another set.

Lots of people take a towel from the ship. If you want something bigger, then you might take your own but they take up lots of room in your luggage, so???. There are also lots of places throughout the islands where you can buy inexpensive beach towels. You should be disembarked anywhere from 8:30 - 9:30. Enjoy your trip.:)

Hi- Less than a week till we leave and these random things came to mind-

What is a feasible time we will disembark from the ship post cruise in Honolulu? 9am? 8am? 11am? Trying to nail down transport to the airport to fetch a rental car.- Hawaii 23 was a bust so I am trying to get a time estimate so I can make alternative arrangements.

Why was Hawaii 23 a bust ? Did they not have space or vehicle available, or was there some other issue ? I ask because I was thinking of booking them.

PMC- Hawaii 23 just sent me a meesage after I requested them and said they were unable to accomodate us. We have them booked already to go from Airport to Hotel upon arrival to Honolulu. He said to let him know when we get picked up then and they would help me arrange something else. I am not sure if they were already booked, or if they do not do Pier to airport transport. I think we may just do Robert's bus since it is only $6 pp and we are not in a hurry.

Thanks to others for the info!

I am also using Hawaii23, but only from the airport to hotel and from the hotel to the pier. They advised me that they do not offer the pickups from cruise pier to airport. I would have loved to have used them all three legs, but I guess they have their reasons.

We did self disembark and were off at 7:30am. You can take towels. I recommend picking up straw mats from an ABC store or any store really for laying on the sand. Then sand brushes off the mats easily and you can keep your towel in your bag for grit-free drying.

If you are going on your own to beaches, snorkeling- Did you take a beach towel from the ship or bring one from home?

As others said, just use the beach towels the ship provides - just make sure to bring them back onboard. :)

What is a feasible time we will disembark from the ship post cruise in Honolulu? 9am? 8am? 11am? Trying to nail down transport to the airport to fetch a rental car.

We docked just before 7 am on 11/6 and the saw the ship was approaching Honolulu harbor around 6:30 am on 10/30. I did not pay attention to what time our disembarkation started but by the time we walked off at 8:10 am a lot of people were off the ship already.

Check with the car rental company - they may have shuttles from the cruise port. Dollar did not have a shuttle from the airport to the cruise port the day we embarked, so they called a cab for us (we paid). On disembarkation I was therefor surprised that Thrifty had a shuttle - we had Thrifty rentals in most porst and they ussually used one shuttel for both.

I think the mats are about $2 at most stores. Also, if your first stop is Waikiki there are lots of them left on the beach in the evening by tourists who are headed home and hoping that someone will be able to use them. I would think a beach towel and a straw mat would be "purchase first" items if you are going to have several beach days. Also, a small styrofoam cooler and insulated "go" cups are great, both for cold drinks and coffee as you head off the ship.

I think the mats are about $2 at most stores. Also, if your first stop is Waikiki there are lots of them left on the beach in the evening by tourists who are headed home and hoping that someone will be able to use them. I would think a beach towel and a straw mat would be "purchase first" items if you are going to have several beach days. Also, a small styrofoam cooler and insulated "go" cups are great, both for cold drinks and coffee as you head off the ship.

Great suggestions! Thanks.:D

Also, ask at your hotel if they have any extra mats. Many hotels take the ones left behind and give them to you if you ask. Use the ships towels. No need to lug around dirty, wet and smelly towels. You can get a fresh one each day.

Good point about the possibility of smelly towels. We have always been able to hang them out on the deck to dry and they are fine for the beach. We have never cruised the Hawaiian islands and I just didn't know how big the ship's towels were. Cherie

p.s. has anyone suggested bringing clothes pins to hang things to air out and dry? If you have a verandah cabin you can make good use of the clothes pins on the verandah furniture. I am not suggesting hanging things to dry on the side of the ship!!!! Cherie

p.s. has anyone suggested bringing clothes pins to hang things to air out and dry? If you have a verandah cabin you can make good use of the clothes pins on the verandah furniture. I am not suggesting hanging things to dry on the side of the ship!!!! Cherie

We have done this in the past on Caribbean cruises and it works out nicely. We clip them to the chairs. Clothespins are a good idea if you do this since it can get windy on the balcony.

Archived